Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/17-6/23 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 163 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 164 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nice outing for Porcello so far.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

On Kyrie, I keep coming back to a couple of things. One, he’s a smart guy and I don’t see how he passes up an extra 49 million guaranteed dollars in his prime earning years. And B, he likes to fuck with people. Especially the sports media.

Lebron
    Participant

He’s got Uncle Drew money it doesn’t matter to him.  He’s not signing someplace for 5 years simply to stick it to the media.  What does he care about media?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I think it’s fun to him.

Like that flat earth thing.  He does things just on a lark, and he’s been the center of attention for weeks.  A real belle of the ball.

Again, almost 50 million guaranteed.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Plus the Celtics give him the best chance to win. Ainge has enough chips to make a deal or two to improve the chemistry of the team with Irving.

1 user thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Fuck him. It’s not as if the cupboard’s bare.  I’m fine rolling with the kids.  Everyone here who has played ball has played with a cvnt and knows how much that sucks, talent be damned.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

In corporate speak I think that person is called ‘the talented anjerk’.  Fully agree, 5 more years of that fucking asshole is 10 years too long.

Lebron
    Participant

I think it’s fun to him.

Like that flat earth thing. He does things just on a lark, and he’s been the center of attention for weeks. A real belle of the ball.

Again, almost 50 million guaranteed.

He’s also the weirdo that ran to call Kobe after they won the title, I don’t think it’s on a lark.  If anything he’s moody with a chemical imbalance.  Manic depressive/bipolar/whatever.

chicowalker
    Participant

Check him the last 4 games of the Milwaukee series.  Shook as fuck.  Any team he’s the #1 on is doomed, on and off the court

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Horford is a FA.

If they dont work a deal (or maybe even if they do) with Al, I can see Ainge making another run at Okafor.  He’s quietly improved, should be a mid range salary guy.  Only 24 years old.

Lebron
    Participant

Weird Celtics twitter continuing to tie itself in knots.  Today it’s well of course Danny didn’t trade for Kawhi*, he was only going to be here one year!  Of course these same people wanted to trade for a guy that was only going to be here one year.

*I don’t blame Ainge for not doing a Kawhi trade, I actually don’t recall any rumors about the Celtics trading for Kawhi but that’s probably because I wasn’t paying attention.

Feejis
    Participant

Weird Celtics twitter continuing to tie itself in knots. Today it’s well of course Danny didn’t trade for Kawhi*, he was only going to be here one year! Of course these same people wanted to trade for a guy that was only going to be here one year.

*I don’t blame Ainge for not doing a Kawhi trade, I actually don’t recall any rumors about the Celtics trading for Kawhi but that’s probably because I wasn’t paying attention.

I think the simplest way to describe it is that anytime another team drafts/signs/acquires/develops a good player is a complete indictment of the management of the corresponding Boston franchise.

2 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Not apples to apples- getting rid of DeRozan was addition by subtraction, whereas Leonard would have cost the Celtics Brown/Smart at minimum.

Lebron
    Participant

Reportedly the Knicks turned down the Hawks on a trade of the 8/10 picks for the 3rd pick.  Didn’t realize the Hawks also have 17.

My biggest fear is that the Celtics take that Bol Bol who turns out to be Fab Melo.

Lebron
    Participant

Not apples to apples- getting rid of DeRozan was addition by subtraction, whereas Leonard would have cost the Celtics Brown/Smart at minimum.

Was it widely known/reported that the Celtics were involved and that was what the Spurs wanted?  My memory on that is shot.

The Celtics were coming in to the season with Irving coming back and Hayward from a 1 game shy of the finals appearance.  The Raptors were pretty much churning out the same results, so they needed to make a move like that, they had nothing to lose.  Couple that with getting Green in the trade and Siakim developing and moving Jake Poetl in that deal and getting Gasol and they did a heck of a roster makeover and got the best result possible.

Claude45
    Participant

If that 4 bounce shot at the end of game 7 against the Sixers rims out and the Raptors lose in OT, none of this talk is happening. The Celts were all about taking the swing at Kyrie/AD. Didn’t work. There was no huge clamor to trade for Leonard because the Celts looked great heading into the season. Questions about if he was healthy and how much would he play outside of LA. Revisionist analysis is painfully annoying.

Lebron
    Participant

Kirk Minihane and LaVar Ball are the same person.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I guess I shouldn’t care where Irving goes, so long as he promptly tears his achilles, but something about him going to the Lakers would make me closed-fist punch a 2 year old.

On the subject of being driven to violence, I saw Evan Drellich’s tweet yesterday announcing that he is heading to NY office of The Athletic. He received a congratulatory tweet from Buckley to which Drellich responded “Thanks, Buckaroo!” My “urge to kill” went from 0 to 100 in about a second.

A more general media topic that annoys me is “The reporter doesn’t write the headline” defense. I saw that used today with regard to Volin’s “opinion” article yesterday about Caserio wanting to leave the Patriots. Is it realistic to think that the content of headline is totally out of the writer’s hands and that only the editor decides what it will say? It just seems like a way for a news outlet to say something controversial or misleading and then absolve the person who wrote the article beneath it of any responsibility.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Reportedly the Knicks turned down the Hawks on a trade of the 8/10 picks for the 3rd pick. Didn’t realize the Hawks also have 17.

My biggest fear is that the Celtics take that Bol Bol who turns out to be Fab Melo.

Ten years ago, the back half of that last sentence would have made no sense. At all.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Woj says Horford is likely gone

Nice guy, good player but I don’t see giving 33 year old big men 4 year deals.

Danny is being disciplined. Not sure what to make of it.

Lefty

Lots of empty seats in Minn for tonight’s game.  Twins are very good so far, Red Sox are a draw on the road.  Had stayed attendance of 27k last night ‘(looked like that was the “tickets sold “ number with a lot less people in the seats).  Capacity is 39k.

Lefty

If Lou Merloni wants Kyrie to stay and Horford gone, then the Celtics need the opposite.  That’s my simplified analytics.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

As a Celtics fanboy I wish the reporters would do less ‘woah’ and more ‘here are the cap ramifications and what they could do next ‘.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

The haters of the Pats like Felger are lapping up the  Volin piece like its gospel. Volin hates the Pats so anything he writes needs to be taken as a hit piece not fact.

Everyone needs to realize Ainge took a risk and did nothing to have the ammo for Davis. It doesn’t look good at this point but we need to wait and see. Maybe he needs to see if the kids can back up all the bitching they did this year. It could be Brown and Tatums team now so they need to back up all the bitching.

Lebron
    Participant

Lots of empty seats in Minn for tonight’s game. Twins are very good so far, Red Sox are a draw on the road. Had stayed attendance of 27k last night ‘(looked like that was the “tickets sold “ number with a lot less people in the seats). Capacity is 39k.

Maybe people at the USMNT Gold Cup game in St Paul.  Full house there it appears

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar