Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/17-6/23 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 163 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 164 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Jesus, sounds like that David Gilmour auction is going crazy. The white strat went for 1.8 million :blink:

His Black Strat went for $3.975 mil. Love David Gilmour, and Pink Floyd in general.

I play guitar, and have always preferred Strats to Les Pauls.

Irsay :lol:

1 user thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Hardly new but the NBA not announcing trades during the draft is really dumb. It makes the draft a strange watch.

After years of the media telling me that the only way to win an NBA title is to have 2-3 superstars. Ainge did what he could to get those 2-3 superstars here. It didn’t work but the only way it was possible was to “hoard assets”. So now they retroactively shit on Danny for hoarding assets like he passed up a bunch of trades for top ten players. Nice work if you can get it.

It’s very difficult to rebuild an NBA in general. Just to get in the position to get players that matter is difficult. Then you add in the super friends, Clutch Sports, player enablement, local market influences and the difficulty is ratcheted up. Danny had a path to AD. It didn’t work so now he has to try to find another way. The middle of the pack is a tough spot to get out of in the NBA.

The fact that he put the Cs in position to so quickly pivot from plan A (Kyrie, Horford, AD) to plan B (Tatum, Brown, Smart) is impressive – he did it without tanking and without extreme lottery luck.  Worst case this team should be fun to watch next year.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Jesus, sounds like that David Gilmour auction is going crazy. The white strat went for 1.8 million :blink:

His Black Strat went for $3.975 mil. Love David Gilmour, and Pink Floyd in general.

I play guitar, and have always preferred Strats to Les Pauls.

Irsay :lol:

Did he buy it?  He’s already got one of the Garcia guitars (Wolf I think).

NASCL
    Participant

Ray Bourque with an estate sale this weekend in Boxford.  Joe Gill guaranteed to attend and not purchase anything.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Ray Bourque with an estate sale this weekend in Boxford. Joe Gill guaranteed to attend and not purchase anything.

So Dale can buy something instead of picking through Raymond J’s garbage?

Humphrey
    Participant

Ray Bourque with an estate sale this weekend in Boxford. Joe Gill guaranteed to attend and not purchase anything.

So instead of the parade, they should have had a GoFundMe???

Nick B
    Participant

He’ll bitch about the pricing and that a real fan like himself couldn’t buy anything

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

“If it seems antithetical for New York as a whole, and specifically as a basketball city, to have to sell itself — to practically reinvent itself — as a place where high-end athletes want to come, that is also a reality the Knicks have had to adopt, and accept.”

“So it has been a symphony of sweet music listening to the kids — first Zion, then Ja Morant, lately and decisively Barrett — talk about how much playing in New York would mean to them. We want to hear that. We need to hear that. We need to believe that our sense of importance in the basketball firmament is more than just a dusty old relic — or, worse, a complete lie.

“We need to know that we remain The City Game.”

I want to go to my grave with these asshats never winning another one.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

“If it seems antithetical for New York as a whole, and specifically as a basketball city, to have to sell itself — to practically reinvent itself — as a place where high-end athletes want to come, that is also a reality the Knicks have had to adopt, and accept.”

“So it has been a symphony of sweet music listening to the kids — first Zion, then Ja Morant, lately and decisively Barrett — talk about how much playing in New York would mean to them. We want to hear that. We need to hear that. We need to believe that our sense of importance in the basketball firmament is more than just a dusty old relic — or, worse, a complete lie.

“We need to know that we remain The City Game.”

I want to go to my grave with these asshats never winning another one.

It would be really nice if the Knicks miss out on both Kyrie and KD after missing on AD. I’d love to see that $75 million in cap space going to 2nd and 3rd tier free agents. The New York/City Game/Madison Square Garden romanticizing is at baseball levels. :puke:

chicowalker
    Participant

I notice none of these blue chip MSG humpers ever choose to go to St. Johns, when the choice is, you know, completely up to them

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Bol’s medicals must have been a horror show

I think the rumored ‘lack of effort’ is what sunk him.  Injury is one thing, but a 7’2″ guy dogging it pretty much sinks it.

Summer league for the Nuggets will be interesting with Porter and Bol.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

It is reassuring that either the Nets or the Knicks won’t be getting Durant.

I don’t understand the hand-wringing about Vucevic or Capela.

Vucevic is younger, cheaper and better than Horford.  The only thing Al does better is handle the ball, and the C’s will have plenty of ball-handlers.

Capela is a different type of player than Horford. He’s basically Perk with athleticism on the offensive end. It would not be unheard of that he develops a 10 foot jumpshot.

I wanted to keep Horford because I liked him, but the team will be better at the position next year with either of those guys, if that’s what they do.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Either of those guys would be great.

I like Capela, because he’s a bit younger..and he’s signed for 4 more years. But their asking price may be (understandably) high for that reason.

Al is a good player, and a great guy.  But he’s 33 years old..and this is increasingly a youth league. I won’t wring my hands because Danny wouldn’t give him 30 million dollars + for his age 37 year.

Feejis
    Participant

Vucevic is younger, cheaper and better than Horford. The only thing Al does better is handle the ball, and the C’s will have plenty of ball-handlers.

Capela is a different type of player than Horford. He’s basically Perk with athleticism on the offensive end. It would not be unheard of that he develops a 10 foot jumpshot.

I wanted to keep Horford because I liked him, but the team will be better at the position next year with either of those guys, if that’s what they do.

Isn’t Porzingis a FA? Bonus points to even further piss off the NY folks if he ends up here. Lol.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Looks like the NHL is expanding replay challenges. Now more plays can be challenged (but not those like the trip on Acciari) and are subject to a 2 min penalty if the challenge fails. That used to only be for offsides.

Fail a second challenge and it’s a 4 min penalty.

Lefty

Looks like the NHL is expanding replay challenges. Now more plays can be challenged (but not those like the trip on Acciari) and are subject to a 2 min penalty if the challenge fails. That used to only be for offsides.

Fail a second challenge and it’s a 4 min penalty.

Have they set the salary cap for next year yet?   Supposedly, it is coming in lower than forecast.   Until it is set, it is holding up trade and some free agency.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Vucevic is younger, cheaper and better than Horford. The only thing Al does better is handle the ball, and the C’s will have plenty of ball-handlers.

Isn’t Porzingis a FA? Bonus points to even further piss off the NY folks if he ends up here. Lol.

He would be great but I think dallas is planning to sign him to a 5 year 150mil max.

Lebron
    Participant

Porzingis is a restricted free agent I believe.  Anything ever happen with that rape accusation?

I’m also fine getting rid of Hayward and 2 more years $60 whatever million. No one’s taking that on however.  I’m bullish on Williams, and irrationally bullish on that Purdue PG based on 1 game that I saw him play.  Fuck paying point guards.

chicowalker
    Participant

any chance looks at the allegedly cratering Kyrie market and says “4/100, or 2/55, take it or leave it”?

Lebron
    Participant

I’d be all set with Kyrie, or any point guard in general getting that kind of money and requiring that much of the offense to go through them to be happy.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I dunno. I just look at this season, all the ups and downs. And, off the court, most of them are Kyrie’s doing. He’s the one who had to run to reporters to air his grievances, instead of having the difficult conversations. That’s not a leader to me. And if I’m paying a guy that much money, making him the face of the franchise he better damn well be a leader.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m probably too optimistic but I’d be fine with Rozier and this kid they drafted, and/or sign any of Collison/Rondo/Beverly.  I’d also be fine with Rozier walking.  Hell, even Elfrid Payton.  I’m happy with a point guard that does the job, namely getting the ball to Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Grant Williams and can defend.  Shoot/score when the opportunities are there.  And rebound a little.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

There’s one short 30 year old that should come cheap and can be a spark plug

Big Fat O
    Participant

Danny signed Taco Fall. This is one time I’m in favor of bringing an ex player in like Robert Parish to help him

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’ve never heard the term “Estate Sale” used without a connection to a death before. Makes me think there should be a separate term as I had to google whether Borque died or not.

Dibs on the “I won a cup in Colorado and all I got in Boston was this lousy parade.” T-shirt.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar