Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/24 – 6/30/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 167 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Claude45 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 168 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I know basketball has changed in recent years, but just finding out more on Tacko Fall. 7’7″ and seems more functional as a basketball player than Manute Bol ever was, and he goes undrafted? He should eventually be able to give a good 10-12 minutes a night, maybe anchoring a zone?

jforb
    Participant

Filling in for PK, Eisen doesn’t like the the fumble through the endzone rule because what happens if someone does that in the last 30 seconds of a Super Bowl and it costs them the game? How do you explain it to the casual fan who only watches the one game?

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Whats his solution? I love people who complain about the rule but never offer anything that makes more sense or would cause less confusion among the casual fan who only watches one game. “Gee dad, that guy just fumbled through the back of the end zone while trying to stretch out for a touchdown. Why are they getting the ball back on the other teams 20 and a first down? Shouldn’t they be penalized for losing a fumble yet seem to be rewarded with a free first down. Can we watch baseball please?”

jforb
    Participant

Whats his solution? I love people who complain about the rule but never offer anything that makes more sense or would cause less confusion among the casual fan who only watches one game. “Gee dad, that guy just fumbled through the back of the end zone while trying to stretch out for a touchdown. Why are they getting the ball back on the other teams 20 and a first down? Shouldn’t they be penalized for losing a fumble yet seem to be rewarded with a free first down. Can we watch baseball please?”

Just imagine a future Super Bowl, perhaps even the next one in Miami. It’s a tight contest, one of those games where you know the team with the ball last is going to have a chance to win. And the team with the ball last is down, let’s say, by 4 points and driving down the field. The defense protecting the lead is on its heels, perhaps even gassed by the action that’s left the entire country enrapt and exhilarated. Thirty seconds to go, a receiver snags the ball on a crossing route over the middle and has the pylon in his sights. He dives for it, knowing a field goal isn’t enough. He gets hit, the ball, inches from the pylon gets jarred loose and it lands past the pylon and kicks right out of bounds behind the pylon. By rule, the ball goes to the defense. And the Super Bowl is over.

How satisfying would that be? Exactly. It would be terrible. Also, enjoy explaining all that to the millions of casual fans watching their first game of the year at Super Bowl parties across the nation what in the hell had just happened. Also enjoy knowing that if the loose ball had landed out of bounds mere inches up the field in front of the pylon, the ball would have stayed with the offense. It just a dumb rule, especially since it benefits the defense on its heels rather than the offense trying to make an aggressive scoring play. I say a ball fumbled into and out of the end zone should remain with the offense and if you’re looking to penalize a team for it, back them up to the 20-yard line. Make it a reverse touchback. Not loss of possession. It’s outdated, it’s ridiculous and, one day, it’s going to create one hell of a mess in the biggest game of the year. Let’s head that off at the pass, shall we? Change the rule.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Commenter also points out that a play like Dyson being tackled at the one could result in the player rolling the ball out of bounds and stopping the clock. Dyson wasn’t close enough to the sideline but that seems like a fairly high probability event. And you know Bill would coach them to do it.

chicowalker
    Participant

I know basketball has changed in recent years, but just finding out more on Tacko Fall. 7’7″ and seems more functional as a basketball player than Manute Bol ever was, and he goes undrafted? He should eventually be able to give a good 10-12 minutes a night, maybe anchoring a zone?

Situationally, I agree, but he’d really be exposed guarding a big that can shoot from the outside/run pick and roll (which is increasingly all of them)

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Situationally, I agree, but he’d really be exposed guarding a big that can shoot from the outside/run pick and roll (which is increasingly all of them)

He’s a project for sure…but Maine would be a nice place to see how he can modify his game to fit the NBA.  Size and measurables alone, hes worth a flyer.

Just for the potential for Tommy to refer to him as Enchilada he’s worth a flyer.

Coma
    Participant

Filling in for PK, Eisen doesn’t like the the fumble through the endzone rule because what happens if someone does that in the last 30 seconds of a Super Bowl and it costs them the game? How do you explain it to the casual fan who only watches the one game?

Maybe you explain to the casual fan that fumbles are bad and an offense should try to avoid them as much as possible. Sometimes, things can still work out, like a teammate recovering the ball or it rolling out of bounds. Other times, though, it can be a negative play for the offense, if the defense recovers the fumble or it goes through the endzone.

It may not have been better than what actually happened, but it also would have been nice if, in SB49, Marshawn Lynch got the ball, was hit short of the goal line and fumbled out of the endzone. Instead of “Why did they throw it instead of giving it to Beast Mode?” we’d be hearing “Why do the Patriots get the ball? If the fumble went out of bounds at the 2 yard line, it would still belong to Seattle!”

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

4th and goal from the 20 might not be too bad.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

He’s a project for sure…but Maine would be a nice place to see how he can modify his game to fit the NBA. Size and measurables alone, hes worth a flyer.

Just for the potential for Tommy to refer to him as Enchilada he’s worth a flyer.

Denver should have picked him up and unveiled a Triple Tower lineup. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

He was good in the Duke game in the tournament.  Just tough to be 7′ plus and move well.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Just looked at BR out of boredom.  If Al does sign a 4/112 year deal, and plays it out…his career earnings will be north of 240 million dollars. :blink: :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t get the big cry all these people have over the rule being ‘different’ if you fumble through the end zone.  In baseball I can overrun first or home without fear of being tagged out for being off the base but 2nd or 3rd I can’t.  Pretty sure that’s been the case for like a gazillion years and no one ever complains about it.  And that fumble through the end zone rule has been in place forever.  Just know the fucking rules and the consequences, it isn’t hard.  Of course these are the same types who were more than happy to see the Deflategate saga ensue as a result of someone getting crabby about being told to more or less know the rules.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

Did everyone have a moment of silence?

This past Saturday was the Sixth Annual Odin Lloyd football Classic.

Feejis
    Participant

It’s actually a very easy rule change: any time a fumble goes out of bounds it’s a turnover.

5 users thanked author for this post.

RedSeat
    Participant

It’s actually a very easy rule change: any time a fumble goes out of bounds it’s a turnover.

I come down on the other side. If the fumble is not recovered in the field of play, last team to possess keeps the ball at the worse of (a) spot of fumble or (b) spot where it left the field of play. Clock runs.

If the fumble goes backwards, you lose that yardage, but any forward fumble returns to the spot. That includes fumbles through the end zone, so the rule is the same anywhere on the field.

I agree with the “if you don’t like it, hold on to the ball” crowd, but the scenario that always bugged me was the fumble near the pylon. If the ball sneaks out of bounds at the one inch line, you keep the ball, poised to score. If it rolls one extra inch and clips the endzone, It’s a turnover and 20 yards of field position gone.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Taco needs to learn not to be a bull in a china shop. He if he can learn some finesse he’d be great not letting everyone drive to the paint. Gianis killed them going uncontested to the hoop.

Get Parrish on the payroll to work with him.

Feejis
    Participant

I come down on the other side. If the fumble is not recovered in the field of play, last team to possess keeps the ball at the worse of (a) spot of fumble or (b) spot where it left the field of play. Clock runs.

If the fumble goes backwards, you lose that yardage, but any forward fumble returns to the spot. That includes fumbles through the end zone, so the rule is the same anywhere on the field.

I agree with the “if you don’t like it, hold on to the ball” crowd, but the scenario that always bugged me was the fumble near the pylon. If the ball sneaks out of bounds at the one inch line, you keep the ball, poised to score. If it rolls one extra inch and clips the endzone, It’s a turnover and 20 yards of field position gone.

True but they treat the goal line differently in other scenarios (reach the ball over and it’s a TD even if it’s knocked out of your hand, but that’s a fumble if you’re reaching for the 1 yard line). Plus I don’t like to give this vocal idiocracy any satisfaction.

4 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Ball should be live until recovered. Imagine the chaos when it rolls into the middle of the bench.

Lebron
    Participant

I see Portnoy and Wahlberg in that Edelman documentary on Showtime.  Ugh.  Admittedly I fizzled out before the end of that Tom v Time series as I found myself not really caring about what he does off the field.

Lebron
    Participant

The NBA fined the New York Knicks $50,000 on Monday for violating the league’s rules regarding equal access for media by not giving the New York Daily News access to their post-draft news conference on Friday.

The rest of the New York media was invited to the news conference to introduce draft picks RJ Barrett and Ignas Brazdeikis.

50 grand?  I’d be banning news outlets left and right.  Cancel the press conferences and pay the fines.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Ball should be live until recovered. Imagine the chaos when it rolls into the middle of the bench.

I like this. Much like how you can go into the stands to make a catch in baseball (Pokey’s was still better than Jeter’s) the ball is live until someone recovers it. A blocked punt that ends up down the tunnel? Imagine the highlights.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It’s silly season for the Patriots’ media right now, and so on places like NBCSN there’s speculation over why are the Pats are cutting Josh Gordon so much slack? — and, from the Ginzers’ point of view, why would the NFL even think about letting this recidivist drug offender get back into the league, unless it’s to benefit the Patriots ……….. again!

And there’s also the continued discussion of Nick Caserio’s present and future. TEC was on last night and gave a reasoned argument of why Nick wants out vs. why he wants to stay. Re. the latter scenario, he admits that it’s perfectly logical to speculate that Caserio and McDaniels have been given assurances by the Krafts (and BB) that they are the heirs apparent when Belichick retires. But he says that the Patriots are so “opaque” about matters like this, that it leads to constant rumors of imminent defections by their key front office and coaching personnel to other NFL teams. (Kid Gas has a column on the Globe’s website right now about this very subject.)

Left unsaid, however, is why the Pats should say anything about any “succession plan” for Belichick at all. Who would want to start that feeding frenzy? If he chose to “retire” at 67 or 68 — with perhaps five prime years left in him — Belichick would, despite his age, be the most sought-after free agent in NFL history.  How much would an NFL owner pay him?  $20 million a year?  $25 million?  If he increases the market value of your franchise by, say, $500 million, what’s a measly $100 million over four or five years?  (Unless, of course, Kraft is paying him in the $15-20 million range already … Supposedly he was making $7.5 million a year before 2016, but that may be a tad low.)

I don’t see Belichick standing in Caserio’s way if and when the appropriate time comes, if the team who wants him acts like Michael Corleone when he seeks Apollonia’s father’s permission to court her, with your permission and under the supervision of your family, with all respect. 

2 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Anyone going to Sox-Yankees in London?

jforb
    Participant

33 days from 10000 to 10100, think that’s a slightly improved rate

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar