Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/1 – 7/7/2019 Happy Birthday America Weekly Thread

This topic contains 164 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 165 total)
  • Author

Lefty

Welcome to July!

1 user thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I enjoyed the Edelman doc wahlbergishness or not.  Al to Philly is not ideal for the C’s not only does he make them better but he was a bit of an Embiid stopper gonna be really interesting when these guys play.  The defensive matchups are screwy on both sides.  I see one article on the Athletic that definitively says the Walker/Kyrie/Rozier trade is 3 way and that that gives the Cs the 9.x exception but I can’t find anything else on that.

Gonna be interesting to see how they find some tall guys.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Found this interesting on a Celticsblog post

In the S&T for Rozier, Boston would only be able to use 50% of his new salary as outgoing, which in this case (based on his reported new salary) is $9.2M. If this ends up being a double S&T, Kemba’s outgoing salary would be last seasons pay of $12M. With both teams being non-taxpayers, the salaries fall in the range of outgoing + up to $5M meaning it would be covered both directions as a trade.

The upside is it allows Boston to still operate as a team above the cap and still have the mid-level, bi-annual, and traded player exceptions available. As well as the possibility of finding a S&T for Marcus Morris. To have the cap space to sign Kemba, he would have used it all and Boston would be left with just the $4.8M Room exception. Hardly enough to sign another quality Free Agent.

If this works out, it’s a masterstroke by the front office making lemonade out of lemons (and Kemba Walker).

Participant

“We’re already over budget and we were substantially over our budget last year and this year. We’re not going to be looking to add a lot of payroll,” he said. “And it’s hard to imagine fielding a better team. If we play up to our capabilities we’ll be fine. That’s the question: Will we?” – Powder

“While we try and fix things, please visit RedSox.Com and order your London hat for only $36.99 or a Betts or Benintendi London bobblehead for just $55.00.”

Image result for red sox london series souvenirsImage result for red sox london series souvenirsMookie Betts Boston Red Sox London Series Beefeater Bobblehead

jforb
    Participant

If they were capable of playing up to their presumed capabilities they probably would have done so by now.

6 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

as much as it will suck to see Al in a sixers jersey, hard to know what they are doing there.  It’s like they are putting together a team to combat the mid-80s Celtics size

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

London seemed to have a lot of less than ideal features (tons of foul territory, awful sun fields, way too quick infield). I wonder of MLB with change things for next year.

Humphrey
    Participant

If they were capable of playing up to their presumed capabilities they probably would have done so by now.

I wonder if they get the clay down sooner they’d be able to “slow it down” a bit, watering, etc. If it’s going to be like cement why not just have it all turf in the first place?

They could put some kind of fence within the fence if foul ground is too big; however, given how many more foul balls seem to be hit these days, I actually think of that as a plus. If there’s one thing I’d change in baseball it would be to limit the number of pitches you have to throw to one guy.

chicowalker
    Participant

Holy shit the winner of Fatty’s “write my column”…all preamble from some hick in idaho, then it’s over.  Like if “Our Town” got soaked in Coors Banquet Beer and Meth and then wrote about it, tacking on some superficial comments about football to technically fulfill some requirement.  Fatty will have to hustle to write a worse column. Jesus christ.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Holy shit the winner of Fatty’s “write my column”…all preamble from some hick in idaho, then it’s over. Like if “Our Town” got soaked in Coors Banquet Beer and Meth and then wrote about it, tacking on some superficial comments about football to technically fulfill some requirement. Fatty will have to hustle to write a worse column. Jesus christ.

Do you like gladiator movies Donny?

Donny

He’s 65, and recently retired from the Glanbia Nutritionals Plant. He owns Chariot Racing Horses and used to race himself. Yes, chariot racing is exactly what it sounds like: two horses pulling a person in a chariot not much bigger than a wheelbarrow that sits on two large bicycle tires.

Donny is a New England, Bill Belichick and Tom Bradyhater. “They are cheating SOBs,” he likes to say. “Only way they can win.” He’ll go on a tirade for a good 10 minutes about New England, and sometimes when things are too quiet, we’ll ask him a question about Brady just so there is some noise.

Suzy
    Participant

Holy shit the winner of Fatty’s “write my column”…all preamble from some hick in idaho, then it’s over. Like if “Our Town” got soaked in Coors Banquet Beer and Meth and then wrote about it, tacking on some superficial comments about football to technically fulfill some requirement. Fatty will have to hustle to write a worse column. Jesus christ.

Do you like gladiator movies Donny?

Donny

He’s 65, and recently retired from the Glanbia Nutritionals Plant. He owns Chariot Racing Horses and used to race himself. Yes, chariot racing is exactly what it sounds like: two horses pulling a person in a chariot not much bigger than a wheelbarrow that sits on two large bicycle tires.

Donny is a New England, Bill Belichick and Tom Bradyhater. “They are cheating SOBs,” he likes to say. “Only way they can win.” He’ll go on a tirade for a good 10 minutes about New England, and sometimes when things are too quiet, we’ll ask him a question about Brady just so there is some noise.

I just erased my whole post. There are no words.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

So why are the Nets all of a sudden contenders for this year?

C: DeAndre Jordan*, Jarrett Allen
    PF: Kevin Durant*, Rodions Kurucs
    SF: Caris LeVert*, Allen Crabbe, Garrett Temple, Nic Claxton
    SG: Spencer Dinwiddie*, Joe Harris, Dzanan Musa, Jaylen Hands
    PG: Kyrie Irving*

Durant is done for this season…so they are ridiculously thin at PF and PG.  They could go the Brad Stevens positionless route (bigs, wings, ballhandlers), but their star PG ain’t going to play that shit 2 years in a row.

They’re now over the cap…I don’t see where there scoring comes from unless Lavert or Dinwiddie make 10ppg scoring jumps form their past years.

I mean, that’s like an 90ppg lineup..at best. And no defense.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Donny sounds like either (A) he’s a complete fabrication by King’s crony’s or (B) the greeter at Hells Wal-Mart.

Lefty

I think the bullpen IS playing to its capabilities and that is the specific problem.

By Hugh Royal

That sounds like a made-up name.

Only time will tell if Tom and Bill were merely good, or truly great.

Yeah, it’s still up in the air.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

LeVert, Temple and Claxton were one of my New Jack Swing favorites.

Richfield, Idaho single-handedly keeping Ugly Striped Dress Shirts in business:

9 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

London seemed to have a lot of less than ideal features (tons of foul territory, awful sun fields, way too quick infield). I wonder of MLB with change things for next year.

During the game yesterday they talked about how MLB teams would have to build their teams completely different if they played a stadium like that with miles of foul territory. Poor Chavis and Judge. They looked exhausted after chasing foul ball after foul ball. They were saying teams would get speed athletes to cover the corners and they were suggesting this might make baseball better going forward because it would reduce the amount of foul balls into the crowd, help pitching and could essentially speed up the game. Naturally they’re saying this the very day after the 3rd longest 9 inning game in MLB history in said stadium. The pitchers were all complaining about the airflow dynamics from the mound and unable to get pitches to do what they wanted. The visuals backed that up.

I enjoyed them interviewing the casual London fan who knew less about baseball than I did about cricket. Great marketing. Wouldn’t it make more sense to play these games in say the Dominican or Mexico where baseball is still sort of big? Instead of a country where all of 45 countrymen have played in MLB over the past 160 or so years.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Sunday’s ump sucked balls.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Ya that’s definitely not a cafe in Southern Cal. Good lord. Do salads not exist in Idaho?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I dunno, that place looks like Worcester with different facial hair to me.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Both the Fox and ESPN broadcast teams clearly go the message from MLB to trumpet over-and-over the fact that the London series was a big success. I can only assume that the sole metric for success was that they were able to play the game.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ya that’s definitely not a cafe in Southern Cal. Good lord. Do salads not exist in Idaho?

I feel so misled by “Longmire”.

chicowalker
    Participant

That bar supposedly opened two years ago? Even beyond how chintzy it is, it just looks old

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar