Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/1 – 7/7/2019 Happy Birthday America Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    NASCL
    Participant
    Lefty

One would think that in Valuencer Scool they teach you not to post your own phone number…..

5 users thanked author for this post.
    NASCL
    Participant

One would think that in Valuencer Scool they teach you not to post your own phone number…..

Back in the Board’s golden years, there would be an entire thread devoted to calls to Gill.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Back in the Board’s golden years, there would be an entire thread devoted to calls to Gill.

Did he ever figure out that wasn’t Stacy James?

Participant

Hey Pete King, did you hear about The Hefty Lefty?  :pk:

Humphrey
    Participant

Even though the commercials started before Iaccocca came to Chrysler, I still associate him with Ricardo Montalban and “coreeenthean leather”

Lefty

Hey Pete King, did you hear about The Hefty Lefty? :pk:

I get the point, I could afford to drop a few.    :ozzy: :ozzy:

Oh, Lorenzan……   carry on.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Big Fat O
    Participant

Hey Pete King, did you hear about The Hefty Lefty? :pk:<noscript>&lt;img src=’https://i1.wp.com/bsmw.net/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/pk.gif?resize=23%2C23&#8242; alt=’:pk:’ width=’23’ height=’23’ class=’wpml_ico’ data-recalc-dims=”1″ /&gt;</noscript>

Too many hot dogs

Humphrey
    Participant

Hey Pete King, did you hear about The Hefty Lefty? :pk:<noscript>&lt;img src=’https://i1.wp.com/bsmw.net/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/pk.gif?resize=23%2C23′ alt=’:pk:’ width=’23’ height=’23’ class=’wpml_ico’ data-recalc-dims=”1″ /&gt;</noscript>

Too many hot dogs

He was something like 450 a couple years ago.

Coma
    Participant

From the Kacsmar rabbit hole. He really had a hard-on for Brady:

Then what if we told you that same quarterback in the postseason had a 7-6 record (.538), 0-2 in the Super Bowl, lost two home playoff games by 26 points and had an 87.1 passer rating with a 27:17 TD-to-INT ratio? Finally, in those three historically high-scoring seasons, he lost in the playoffs by scoring only 14, 21 and 17 points (the 14 and 17 represent season-lows).

That is not a fictional quarterback at all. That is Tom Brady from 2005 to 2011.

Brady should go down as the best short-ball passer in NFL history, but until he starts delivering the tougher throws, he’ll remain idolizing the likes of Joe Montana as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

Because he’s not it.

:lol:I must have missed his update covering years 2012-2018.

I can’t figure out the significance of pointing out that Brady “lost two home playoff games by 26 points.” Was there an acceptable margin of defeat where Kacsmar would have decided not to mention those games? If the Patriots scored an additional FG in each game, would losing by a combined 20 points boost Brady’s greatness?

Lebron already pointed it out, but Montana’s playoff performance from 1985-1987 went like this: 17-3 loss at the Giants, 49-3 loss at the Giants, 36-24 loss at home to the Viking. Montana’s passing totals for those 3 games: 503 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTS, 51.6% completion percentage.

With regard to his point about historically high-scoring seasons, I’m pretty sure Kacsmar didn’t penalize Peyton for setting the passing TD record in 2004 and then only scoring 3 points in a playoff loss. This was a performance Peyton repeated when he set the passing TD record again in 2013 and led the Broncos offense to 8 points in a SB loss.

That’s the root of Kacsmar’s problems. He would cherry pick data or unevenly apply standards and then act like a jerk when people called him on it. He thought those people arguing with him couldn’t affect him in any way and it turned out he was wrong about that, too.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If Brady had played in a league in which all of the quality teams were in his conference for his career, he would probably have that coveted undefeated record in the Super Bowl too.  He’d have more quizzical early round playoff exits too, but no one cares about that apparently.

If Brady winds up with 8+ Super Bowl wins, will people still cling to “But Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls!”? Does a single person on earth believe that Eli (2-0 in Super Bowls) is a better QB than Peyton (2-2 in Super Bowls)?

2 users thanked author for this post.

That’s the root of Kacsmar’s problems. He would cherry pick data or unevenly apply standards and then act like a jerk when people called him on it.

I could never understand how Byrne or Schatz – ostensibly purveyors of statistical-based analysis – would hire a guy whose output invariably hinges on some narrative flourish to explain away the elements that don’t jibe with his examination. It was uncanny how many times he said something was attributable to “luck”. Some data scientist.

Among his archives is a long, drawn-out, sloppily written piece trying to defend all of Peyton’s one-and-dones in the playoffs. Predictably, he says most of it is just bad luck. He also blames Manning’s teammates, whether it was a guard getting a holding penalty one play before Manning fumbled, receivers tipping balls into interceptions, or his defense putting Manning into bad situations. And when all else fails, he blames the refs. Check out these two jumbled  paragraphs near the end, wherein he talks about Manning’s  interceptions over the course of multiple playoff games:

That’s a bad decision, a bad throw, but notice it’s the only such play from Manning we talked about this entire time. Why is that? The first two interceptions came in a game when he trailed 34-0 and 41-0 in the fourth quarter. The next two were tipped balls off his receiver’s hands against the Chargers. The fifth was a pass interference call the refs screwed Denver on.

Without the fifth, there probably never is a sixth, which is the lone bad one. Even with the fifth, without Rahim Moore, we still aren’t talking about a pick. It’s a three-touchdown pass night and game-winning drive for Manning. Instead he becomes the first quarterback in NFL history with multiple home playoff losses despite throwing three touchdowns.

:lol: He actually finds a way to dismiss every Manning interception: Two came on the wrong end of a blowout, so they don’t count; Two tipped balls, so they don’t count; Another one was a missed DPI; Subsequent picks never should have happened if the defense just did its job. You can see the pattern forming.

Here’s his close:

Now repeat that every year, throw in the ridiculous bad luck Manning has suffered through, and only then does 9-11 start to make some sense.

So 9-11 is not an accident for Manning. It’s a misfortune of unbelievable events, and it’s a call for help in what is proven to be the ultimate team game.

So if Manning flourishes and wins, that can only be individual achievement. If he fucks up, well, it’s the ultimate team game and so clearly not his fault.

How did anybody think this guy could offer rational analysis?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Here’s the funny thing about it: people all around think it’s the Pats fans who are crazy biased and always tipping the scales to make our guys sound better. SportsTalkJoe/Barry’s whole existence is devoted to talking about how out of touch Pats fans are. But I can’t think of a Pats fan equivalent to Kacsmar. Schatz and Byrne are both Pats fans, but they’ve never bent over backwards for Brady the way he did for Manning. Thornton’s an idiot, and writes some ridiculous homer shit, but even he never wrote apologist tripe rivaling what Kacsmar (and many others) have done for Manning, or what people continue to do to raise Rodgers’ star.

A Pats version of Kacsmar would do something like look at all of Brady’s dome games, and (assuming they advance his agenda) project that average over eight games a season in direct comparison to Manning’s or Brees’ home games. A Pats version would compare rosters and impact players on offense.

But you only need to go to such extremes when the regular means of measurement don’t support your guy. Brady’s got the Super Bowls, he’s got the MVPs, and he’s got the stats. He’s destroyed all the typical go-to counter arguments people used. When the Pats won 3 out of 4, it was the “system quarterback” and “dink and dunker” argument. Then 2007 came along, and he’s been a stat machine ever since. Then it became about Montana and four Super Bowls. Once Brady won four, it became “Yeah, but Joe was 4-0”. When Brady won 5, then 6, Dungy had to reach all the way back to Otto fucking Graham and his seven world titles (with four wins in that juggernaut, the All-America Football Conference). It’s becoming really sad for the opposition.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The Burden of Proof is squarely on the “Brady isn’t the GOAT” side and they have to strain to make any sort of convincing argument.

The Burden of Proof is squarely on the “Brady isn’t the GOAT” side and they have to strain to make any sort of convincing argument.

It’s why Spygate and Deflategate continue to resonate. They give people excuses. The one I’m seeing most prevalently now is era comparison,  as in “Brady wouldn’t be able to do all this in the 70s, back when the quarterbacks and receivers weren’t so protected.” I’m sure I could find a Kacsmar post saying exactly that.

Big Fat O
    Participant

A lot of this has to do with Brady not being accessible like Manning. From what has been written is Manning will make time for anyone and is a nice guy. Brady is a nice guy as well but limits his media exposure.

Im willing to bet all of the Manning apologists have interacted with him numerous times and he’s treated them well so that counts for something.

Coma
    Participant

Here’s the funny thing about it: people all around think it’s the Pats fans who are crazy biased and always tipping the scales to make our guys sound better. SportsTalkJoe/Barry’s whole existence is devoted to talking about how out of touch Pats fans are. But I can’t think of a Pats fan equivalent to Kacsmar. Schatz and Byrne are both Pats fans, but they’ve never bent over backwards for Brady the way he did for Manning. Thornton’s an idiot, and writes some ridiculous homer shit, but even he never wrote apologist tripe rivaling what Kacsmar (and many others) have done for Manning, or what people continue to do to raise Rodgers’ star.

That’s the beauty of the Patriots side of the argument. So much evidence is in Brady’s favor that you don’t need to twist, qualify or omit anything.

As for Dungy and Otto Graham, how pride did he have to swallow for him to go back to an era when there’s no way he’d be allowed to be a head coach and a slim chance he’d have a career as a player. It’s not just Dungy. I heard/read an interview with Montana after Brady won his 5th or 6th SB. He was asked if this made Brady the best QB and he went with the “It’s hard to say, how do you overlook guys like Unitas and Graham” argument. I guarantee Montana wasn’t thinking of Otto Graham when everyone was telling him he was the best.

NASCL
    Participant

Did AT&T ever call Joe Gill?

Nick B
    Participant

Did AT&T ever call Joe Gill?

pretty sure if they did, Joe would let the world know about it

chicowalker
    Participant

I’m sure the people who play the “back when you could manhandle the qb..” card have equally devalued the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, whatever the Rams D-Line called themselves, the 46 defense of the Bears, etc.. because of all they could get away with? Right? :rollseyes:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I’d like to think Kobe and his wife having their 4th daughter (w/no sons) is God paying him back for Colorado

BrianInLA
    Participant

Its good to find out I’m no Dwayne Johnson when it comes to earthquakes.

Yesterday I’m sitting in the office at home and I hear this ungodly loud noise that sounded like my wife was ripping a closet door off the hinges in one of the bedrooms. I get up to go and investigate and look outside and notice the water in the pool sloshing side to side and over the side of the pool. I did the “dog tilting his head sideways” look and thought to myself “That’s not right…” and before I could think of anything else the house started to bounce and continued for about 15-20 seconds.

A million thoughts ran through my head. “I should run into the living room and get the expensive art off the walls that I had been meaning to earthquake proof. I should run outside before the roof caves in on me. No, I should get under the desk because that’s what I always see on tv. But wait, I have a glass desk. That probably isn’t wise. Or is it? I really SHOULD do something. I wonder where the dog is. That water is sure overflowing the pool a lot more than I would have ever expected….” Then it stopped and I was still standing in the exact same place as when I started. My wife, who has lived here her entire life and has been through many of these, came and found me and just sort of chuckled at my “fast reactions”.

So much for being the guy who would save the world in a natural disaster.  :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: glad you survived.  When there was the earthquake in VA in 2011 I happened to be sitting in the courtyard outside my building.  I’d imagine what we felt was 1/100th of what you felt and I damn near soiled myself.

Did your old employer have a warehouse? I can’t imagine trying to clean up “died after being crushed by a pallet of marital aids” for the obituary :ohmy:

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by chicowalker.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

:lol:glad you survived. When there was the earthquake in VA in 2011 I happened to be sitting in the courtyard outside my building. I’d imagine what we felt was 1/100th of what you felt and I damn near soiled myself.

Did your old employer have a warehouse? I can’t imagine trying to clean up “died after being crushed by a pallet of marital aids” for the obituary :ohmy:

It wasn’t an awesome experience and I can definitely see people soiling themselves as its happening. Completely helpless feeling.

There are worse ways to go out than being crushed by a pallet of dildo’s. At least its a cool story.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’m picturing Brian in LA like Costanza in The Fire episode*

Seemingly. Seemingly, to the untrained eye, I can fully understand how you got that impression. What looked like pushing…what looked like knocking down…was a safety precaution! 

*apologies to the late, great B Holmes for making a Seinfeld reference after the show has been off the air for 21 years

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar