Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/1 – 7/7/2019 Happy Birthday America Weekly Thread

This topic contains 164 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 165 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Kawai talking with Durant is one thing, but George is under contract and it seems clear Kawai spoke with him.  ESPN is going with that as a headline for crying out loud

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

7.1. Not a fan. At all.

We were living near Culver City during the January 1994 Northridge/Reseda earthquake, about 15 miles south and over the mountains from the epicenter. It happened at 4:20 in the morning and we were tossed around in our bed like a couple of rag dolls. Thank God our dog was in her usual sleeping place, under the bed. Because, naturally, all the bookcases in our bedroom and living room (which we hadn’t screwed to the wall) fell over. Also, luckily, we were lucky to get to our flashlights without cutting our feet. A huge percentage of ER visits were from people who had sliced their bare feet open on broken glass in the pitch dark. My first words to my wife were, “Holy shit, it’s the Big One.” But when we turned on our trusty Walkman, the first thing we heard the KNX news guy say was, “This is NOT the Big One, folks. Not even close.”

We owned a condo in an eight-unit building that was then about ten years old. All of us made sure everyone was OK, and inspected the building as best we could. No smell of gas, thankfully, and very little damage that we could see. Meanwhile, a condo building of the same age and design (and from the same developer no doubt) across the street and a block west of us was badly damaged. I don’t think it became uninhabitable but it needed a six-figure repair job.  A few months later, we found out that the air conditioning units on our roof had all shifted on their platforms by about six inches; actually, they probably stayed stationary while the building shifted underneath them.

The aftershocks were the worst, actually, even though they weren’t as strong as the original quake. Our dog could sense them; she could hear the studs begin to shake in the walls and she’d dive for cover. Even weirder: for some reason, they hit Hollywood first before traveling southwest to where we lived, about two miles in from the ocean. All the TV and radio stations were in Hollywood. So you’d hear the news guy on radio say something like, “And … we’re feeling an aftershock right now …” live on the air, then count to three or five or whatever and we’d feel it where we lived. Like someone picking up the end of a table cloth and shaking it, causing it to ripple out.

My wife had just got her M.A. from Cal State, Northridge. The classrooms and studios where she studied were all destroyed. The house of a guy she worked with slid down a hillside in Encino.  (He wasn’t in it that night.). A friend of mine, a bartender-actor who lived in Reseda, took off and no one heard from him for months. (Turned out he was OK, although I think his apartment building was condemned, and a few years later got his big break as a costar in the Boondock Saints franchise.)

It’s weird how everything was back to normal pretty quickly for those of us who were lucky enough not to be hurt or lose our houses, though. It was  the worst LA quake since 1971, maybe since the big Long Beach shaker of 1932. But memories are so short there … they were already rebuilding houses on those hillsides in Encino within a couple of years after the quake.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Was in Glacier NP the last few days. Can’t recommend enough, saw everything but a moose and it got to the point of oh yay another bear. Views are out of hand. Anyhow at one point I was at the visitor center taking kids to the can and it’s a standard visitor center rangers there to answer questions and after detailing areas of the park for a visitor this one lady walks up and says yeah the WiFi isn’t working on my phone. She got the collective I can’t get a sig on my beeper look from The Hangover from anyone within earshot. Another asshole brought his dog on a trail that said specifically no dogs and let his dog take a ginormous shit on the trail and didn’t clean it. Who the fuck comes to these places worried about WiFi and can’t respect basic rules of a beautiful national park? Enraging. I swear to God I was extremely calm and peaceful for like 6 days in a row before that, which is a personal best.

I once camped by the Two Medicine Lakes. Loved it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I’ve heard the horror stories of the Northridge Quake. The folks I talked to all said the one last night felt far more powerful, its just that it was a lot further away. During the ’94 one the overpass on the 14 to the 5 that collapsed I drive every morning to work and I often think of what a crappy way that would be go out as I believe a motorcycle cop died when it fell back then. It amazes me how they were able to put everything back together in a place as densely populated as the valley and the folks who just stayed, especially those who lost almost everything. Just two of these and I’m already looking at moving to Oregon.

I knew this one was more serious when my wife came flying down the hallway yelling at me to get the hell outside. My favorite reactions are that of Dodger Stadium where they never even stopped a pitch. The fans could feel it and were cheering but the players said they couldn’t really feel anything out of the ordinary.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Kawai talking with Durant is one thing, but George is under contract and it seems clear Kawai spoke with him. ESPN is going with that as a headline for crying out loud

Right but Kawhi is a free agent. Not sure how they could prevent him from talking to anyone.

Lebron
    Participant

We did hikes at Avalanche Lake and Logan Pass.  Went to hike at Many Glacier but got turned back at the entrance because it was full.  Two Medicine is definitely on the next visit.  Gotta hit Teton and Yellowstone again too, kids were young and most we did was hang at Jenny Lake and see Old Faithful

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I don’t understand why in soccer that the player that gets fouled isn’t required to take the penalty shot.

Netherlands D falling apart now after the breakthrough.

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I never considered that Stevens and Buttigieg might look alike. Thanks for pointing it out Shank. And thanks Globe for including a photo to show the similarities.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I don’t understand why in soccer that the player that gets fouled isn’t required to take the penalty shot.

The Netherlands goalie kept them in it. It could have easily been 7-0.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

They don’t do that on any other free kicks, PK shouldn’t be any different.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I’ve heard the horror stories of the Northridge Quake. The folks I talked to all said the one last night felt far more powerful, its just that it was a lot further away. During the ’94 one the overpass on the 14 to the 5 that collapsed I drive every morning to work and I often think of what a crappy way that would be go out as I believe a motorcycle cop died when it fell back then. It amazes me how they were able to put everything back together in a place as densely populated as the valley and the folks who just stayed, especially those who lost almost everything. Just two of these and I’m already looking at moving to Oregon.

I knew this one was more serious when my wife came flying down the hallway yelling at me to get the hell outside. My favorite reactions are that of Dodger Stadium where they never even stopped a pitch. The fans could feel it and were cheering but the players said they couldn’t really feel anything out of the ordinary.

I had to fly to PDX on business on the day after the earthquake. My client was politely insistent and my wife (and dog) were not happy to be left alone on the slipping and sliding tectonic plate. She worked on the 30th floor in one of those skyscrapers (across from the LA County Museum on Wilshire) built with giant rollers in the basement and during every aftershock the building would roll back and forth. Still, better than the alternative. :blink:   Let’s just say that the Northridge quake — and the drive-by shooting on our quiet cul de sac in front of our building while we were in our condo :blink: :blink: — contributed to our decision to move back to New England.

:lol:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Mexico goes up 1-0 in the Gold Cup. They cut to the stands showing a celebrating Mexican fan wearing a T-Shirt which reads “Chinque Su Madre”: “Fuck Your Mother” in Spanish. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Tough loss Altidore doesn’t chunk that one you’re likely looking at extra time.

Cobi Jones needs to give up his ‘94 World Cup look.

Feejis
    Participant

Tough loss Altidore doesn’t chunk that one you’re likely looking at extra time.

Cobi Jones needs to give up his ‘94 World Cup look.

Not impressed with the skill level of the US defenders. Except the kid cannon who played tonight looked good. Their other guys are tough on the ball but they cannot handle pressure and distribute the ball at all.

Obviously hard to find guys who can do it all.

Lebron
    Participant

Kawai talking with Durant is one thing, but George is under contract and it seems clear Kawai spoke with him. ESPN is going with that as a headline for crying out loud

Right but Kawhi is a free agent. Not sure how they could prevent him from talking to anyone.

I guess in the end he didn’t make public comments but someone contacted his agent to request a trade which would be tampering.  That’s what the Lakers got fined for with George a couple of years ago as Pelinka contacted his agent about requesting a trade.  I guess if it was agent to agent they don’t consider it tampering but they sent that league memo last year regarding any interference in employment contracts.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar