Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/10/2018 – Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 31 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 5 months ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

The world rejoices on the first day without Joe Sullivan as sports editor for the Globe. Also, some kids were rescued from a cave somewhere.

Humphrey
    Participant

A winning day is when the Sox win AND no one whines about the team they beat.  From what I saw of the headlines, perhaps yesterday’s game was such a day.

Participant

Buck Showalter has dipped below Coach ‘Stache in lifetime winning pct. .510 vs .512.

Sadly, only 61 games remain in Showalter’s season and probably career so he won’t make it to .500 or worse.

Lebron
    Participant

The Sixers are great, did they call a press conference to announce that they felt Lebron was ‘very serious’ in considering them or did they just have Colangelo’s wife tweet it out?  I’m sure a “2017-18 Eastern Conference Semi Finalist” banner will be unfurled on opening night.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Buck Showalter has dipped below Coach ‘Stache in lifetime winning pct. .510 vs .512.

Sadly, only 61 games remain in Showalter’s season and probably career so he won’t make it to .500 or worse.

I found out a day late that Coach ‘Stache Day was yesterday. I would have had a party.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I bet the Soccer coach that led those kids into that cave complex has a lot in common with Buck and coach ‘stache.

a.paul
    Participant

FatLyingTomase uses ‘holy crap’ in a headline on WEEI. Is anyone an adult over there anymore?

Coma
    Participant

I bet the Soccer coach that led those kids into that cave complex has a lot in common with Buck and coach ‘stache.

I was thinking, when he got out, that coach was looking at about 15 seconds of “It’s great to see you, We’re so glad you made it” and then a year of “WTF were you thinking? Couldn’t you just take them to laser tag or a water park like a regular person?”

Lebron
    Participant

I’m sure all the NFL bro media who loved to refer to McCoy as Shady like they were buddies will now sternly refer to him as LeSean following the slapping accusation.

Coma
    Participant

I’m sure all the NFL bro media who loved to refer to McCoy as Shady like they were buddies will now sternly refer to him as LeSean following the slapping accusation.

I’m looking forward to see if Lukey Russert has a reaction to this.

Lebron
    Participant

Ronaldo to Juventus.

Feejis
    Participant

I was thinking, when he got out, that coach was looking at about 15 seconds of “It’s great to see you, We’re so glad you made it” and then a year of “WTF were you thinking? Couldn’t you just take them to laser tag or a water park like a regular person?”

Everyone here is looking at this from the perspective of the western world (and potential lawsuits) but everyone over there seems pretty chill about it. Coach is a Buddhist monk for chrissakes.

Yahtzee
    Participant

What do we think? England vs France?  Agincourt 2.0?

Lebron
    Participant

Everyone here is looking at this from the perspective of the western world (and potential lawsuits) but everyone over there seems pretty chill about it. Coach is a Buddhist monk for chrissakes.

I’m picturing every soccer mom being at the cave entrance with an attorney in tow.  And some orange slices.

Lebron
    Participant

What do we think? England vs France? Agincourt 2.0?

Hoping its Croatia.  I like Modric – small ugly guy plays his ass off.  I can’t make up my mind if I want to punch Harry Kane in the face.  I’m pretty sure I do.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Hoping its Croatia. I like Modric – small ugly guy plays his ass off. I can’t make up my mind if I want to punch Harry Kane in the face. I’m pretty sure I do.

I’m definitely fine with that but think the English will find a way through.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Hoping its Croatia. I like Modric – small ugly guy plays his ass off. I can’t make up my mind if I want to punch Harry Kane in the face. I’m pretty sure I do.

I’m definitely fine with that but think the English will find a way through.

Football’s coming home!

(English version of a Dr. Charles creation?)

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah I gotta admit I’ll go with France if it’s v. England.  And I like Pogba/Griezman/Mbappe.  I might even pull for them if it’s Croatia.

Lebron
    Participant

Reading a few things on Ronaldo, these dummy reporters never learn.  A bunch of sure he’s a physical freak that takes great care of himself and isn’t showing signs of slowing down but hey Father Time is undefeated amirite?

So you’re saying there won’t be any money, but on their deathbeds they’ll get total consciousness.

Lebron
    Participant

Anthony and his representatives met with Rockets and Heat officials at the site of the NBA Summer League in recent days, league sources told ESPN.

I love the idea of Carmelo having to slum it at summer league drumming up interest in his sorry shitty ass.

chicowalker
    Participant

It’s awful that it happened, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, but I’d be lying if I said 2% of me wouldn’t find it funny that McCoy swanton bombed his old lady through a card table

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Soccer rule changes I’d propose:

• When a foul causes a penalty shot, the player fouled takes the penalty shot.
    • NBA style timekeeping. Figure out how much active time there is in a typical game (not counting out of bounds time, injury time, etc.) Put that much time on the clock, and stop the clock during the non-active times. So it might be 60 minutes, but there’s no more incentive to waste time.
    • Retroactive yellow cards assigned for simulation via video review which carry over into the next game.
    • Someone made the suggestion of doing the penalty shootout directly after the regulation time, then playing the extra time. If the game ends tied, the penalty shootout results stands. If one team takes the lead in the extra session, that result trumps the penalties. It’s a very interested proposal, so that someone always has the incentive to score.
    • Each half of extra time starts with a corner kick, one for each team.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

I’m probably late on this but man, that Davio’s/Awaken 180 commercial is pretty fucking ponderous.

Lebron
    Participant

I forgot D’Antoni coached Carmelo in New York, I’m sure that would work really well in Houston.

Lebron
    Participant

My favorite part about soccer is the constantly running clock.  I don’t like the idea of retroactive cards.  You’ll always get the Pete types who want fairness and whatever other bullshit in overtime but I think soccer OT in the knockouts is done pretty well – you have 30 minutes to decide it on your own then the PKs to just bring it to an end.  They’ve already run 8 or 9 miles and are gassed out, save for the subs but still there’s no perfect way to end it and someone has to lose.  I don’t think doing the PKs first is a good idea because you spend however much time on the PKs then go back to playing for half an hour.

Feejis
    Participant

My favorite part about soccer is the constantly running clock. I don’t like the idea of retroactive cards. You’ll always get the Pete types who want fairness and whatever other bullshit in overtime but I think soccer OT in the knockouts is done pretty well – you have 30 minutes to decide it on your own then the PKs to just bring it to an end. They’ve already run 8 or 9 miles and are gassed out, save for the subs but still there’s no perfect way to end it and someone has to lose. I don’t think doing the PKs first is a good idea because you spend however much time on the PKs then go back to playing for half an hour.

[Warning – old man sports story]

We had a playoff game a few years back that went a full 30 mins of extra time then PKs.  We went to 11 rounds of PKs – every guy on the field got a chance. Can’t use anyone on the bench. Keepers shot last, ours scored, theirs missed, we advanced.

Can’t do it hockey style and play forever.

Humphrey
    Participant

My favorite part about soccer is the constantly running clock. I don’t like the idea of retroactive cards. You’ll always get the Pete types who want fairness and whatever other bullshit in overtime but I think soccer OT in the knockouts is done pretty well – you have 30 minutes to decide it on your own then the PKs to just bring it to an end. They’ve already run 8 or 9 miles and are gassed out, save for the subs but still there’s no perfect way to end it and someone has to lose. I don’t think doing the PKs first is a good idea because you spend however much time on the PKs then go back to playing for half an hour.

High school and college in the US have rulebooks different from FIFA/USSF.

In high school there are 40 minute halves, the clock is supposed to stop on goals, injuries, pks and cautions …then when 40 minutes is up, that’s the end.   One of the officials on the field keeps the time (if there is a scoreboard it’s just a guide for the fans and isn’t official).

In college the scoreboard clock is official and it stops the last 2-3 minutes for every dead ball.   Again, when it hits 45 that’s the end.

Being a high school official, I’d opt for the FIFA rules…not having the visible clock causes a lot of arguments that aren’t necessary.

Participant

The offsides rule when you’ve got the ball from the top of the box in – make some sort of blue line situation from top of box in – run the line from sideline to sideline.

Coma
    Participant

3.5 game lead for the Sox. I watched part of the Yankees game yesterday and the announcers said something like “If your the Yankees, you think about how well you’ve played and Boston is right there.” Except they’re not “right there,” they’re ahead of New York.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

FatLyingTomase uses ‘holy crap’ in a headline on WEEI. Is anyone an adult over there anymore?

Anymore? They’ve been sandbox-dwellers since the Steve Fredricks days.

Gerry wanted to talk politics; Lou responded by wanting to spend his time looking at the virtues of Kavenaugh.

Good thing the teams suck in this town. Imagine how it would be if there were game wins and playoff runs to occupy The Lolipop Kids.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

3.5 game lead for the Sox. I watched part of the Yankees game yesterday and the announcers said something like “If your the Yankees, you think about how well you’ve played and Boston is right there.” Except they’re not “right there,” they’re ahead of New York.

Doesn’t all of America love it when ESPN broadcasts an MLB game — which always features the Yankees except when they show the Dodgers to appease the Dottie Goodwins of the world — and just uses the Yankee feed? Lots of “we” and “us” from the announcers, but hey, the scrappy PinStripes ARE america’s Team, amirite?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar