Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/13/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Kevin
    Participant

Minihane is still retweeting crazy Hilary Sargent? :lol:

Oh, and when does Hanley Ramirez get sentenced already?

Participant

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Last night, my thought was the Sox streak had  to end some time and I had zero excitement about watching Price struggle to reach the third inning, so I gave my tickets to a friend.

So, I watched Betts’ jaw-dropping at-bat Shank-style (home, in front of the TV, free to let loose with all the bile and negativity at my command).

My bad.

BUT … it did leave me in a position to switch to the post-game shows (NESN with the “official” conferences and on-cameras; NBCSB with its usual cadre of “insiders” and media hangers-on all showing off their Felger bona fides).

65 wins and all those azzpuppets could talk about was that media-insular sewing circle gab about “likeability.” Buckley was on set for some reason, solemnly reminding us that last year’s team was highly unlikeable and the specter still exists. The thought had him getting the vapors.

What is this “likeability” requirement and why does it not seem to be an issue with our professional football, basketball and hockey teams? Where are those sports’ versions of Tony Mazz, getting its collective panties in a bunch because Julian Edelman isn’t seeking their restaurant recommendations or that Jason Tatum didn’t stop and deliver enough quotes so that a story could be submitted on its deadline? Where is the anguish there?

I would think the Belichick experience has amply demonstrated that winning is a powerful driver of the all-important “likeability” index. If the Sox had swept the Astros in postseason would they be more “likeable”? You bet. What do you think is causing this thaw with the Baseball Biddies? 65 wins and the dawning realization that this team might be going deep and they will be left off the train, left to be like Shank in 2003: racked by painful acid reflux when the realization hits that their storyline (read: meal ticket for slugs) turns out to be a dead end.

Memo to Buck, Abe, Gaspy, Tone-Knee, and the rest: simply because someone doesn’t like YOU doesn’t make them “unlikeable” in the wider world,

Your daddy didn’t like you and you were an end-of-bench guy all through high -school. We get it. Now go away; you have nothing to contribute to our lives.

Yahtzee
    Participant

And Curt Minihane’s lazy approach this morning was to pooh pooh the whole Mookie thing.  Announcers getting excited about things like that? … trite.  Talk about sports?  Boring, no one wants that.  We should discuss Reimer, Tomase, Trenni, Glenn, Gerry, Drellich.  That’s what draws in the listeners.

Kim and VB (and more podcasts), here I come.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Unlikeable = Any team with David Price on it. (/Buckley)

I love the fact that Steve Pearce is the 2,184th Red Sox player to wear #25 since Buck began his “retire Tony’s jersey!!!!!” crusade.  I only wish that Price decided to wear it!

Coma
    Participant

I’m a little surprised that FWL’s recap of the postgame shows didn’t include somebody clutching their pearls about Betts’ not just flipping his bat, but celebrating his grandslam when he was only a few steps out of the batter’s box. I’m not sure if I should be happy that maybe we’ve moved past garbage like that or depressed that people have found so much more to complain about that that player celebrations have gotten pushed down the list.

chicowalker
    Participant

I am following this team a bit more than I have in the past five years or so, but limit my watching to a few minutes here or there.  But goddamn if I am not rooting for them to win like it was 2004 again.  I want it shoved so far up Tony Mazz’s 5 hole it tickles his nose hair from the back

Participant

Gotta get the blue blazer and whale pants dry cleaned, and make sure my gin blossoms are coming in properly – micks and pricks is two weeks from tomorrow.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Isner 13-13 in the 5th set at Wimbledon.  Can they even get the second match in?

Make that 21-21.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Yahtzee.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Isner 13-13 in the 5th set at Wimbledon. Can they even get the second match in? Make that 21-21.

Isner went to 70-68 before at Wimbledon. His game lends itself to that.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I hadn’t realize it went that long.

Nick B
    Participant

wimbledon doesn’t use a 5th set tie break. play until someone wins by 2

Nick B
    Participant

First to break serve wins.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Last to die of old age wins.

Nick B
    Participant

Last to die of old age wins.

Anderson wins it 26-24

chicowalker
    Participant

It can be jarring at first, sir, but I’ll refer you to Coach Bobby Knight and his “theory of inevitability”, as it were

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I’m a little surprised that FWL’s recap of the postgame shows didn’t include somebody clutching their pearls about Betts’ not just flipping his bat, but celebrating his grandslam when he was only a few steps out of the batter’s box. I’m not sure if I should be happy that maybe we’ve moved past garbage like that or depressed that people have found so much more to complain about that that player celebrations have gotten pushed down the list.

Believe me, if I had stumbled into that segment, I’d have pilloried that as well.

Participant

Has anyone asked Pey-Pey if he ever heard Papa John use the N-word?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

oh, and please excuse the typo. i mean 2004, not 2003.

On another matter, does anyone know what Farrell did to Merloni?

chicowalker
    Participant

God help me, I’m listening to a josh marion/cam in taunton podcast.  Not even good enough to be Adam jones youth.  Marion in particular sounds like “banana..tailpipe” through a fog of concentrated carbon monoxide.  Jesus.

Participant

Beat him to Zachary’s?

chicowalker
    Participant

Josh Marion, after putting a bow on another hottake

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Isner was apparently a big Trump fan. Would have invited him to the finals. Oh well.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I think we should start up a next 2 weeks of July thread.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar