Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/15/19-7/21/19 Weekly Thread. Clambag season

This topic contains 217 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 218 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

Fatty’s a hipster, a bit late as always

• We moved from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to Brooklyn last month, to a nice neighborhood called Prospect Heights not far from Barclays Center (Kyrie, here we come). It’s our fourth move in the last 10.5 years, which says something about our decision-making I guess. But we’re happy here. Cool spot, cool neighborhood, and we can see lots of sky from our apartment, rare in New York.

Participant

Think of the activism Mary Beth can do in Brooklyn.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Still firing off terribly worded bullet points “the greatest nuclear accident of our time”.  Better the three mile island don’t @ me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Rare in New York.

I paid a lot of money for it. Don’t forget that I am better than you.

4 users thanked author for this post.

A signature aspect of Fatty’s columns is the interjecting himself into the story.

We did that one in Pittsburgh at the old field where Johnny Unitas played semi-pro ball.”

“Bloomfield Rams,” I said. “Got cut by the Steelers and went home to play for his neighborhood team.”

“Yeah,” Manning said. “For six bucks a game. So I found out where got Johnny Unitas started.”

Look at me! I know arcane trivia!

NASCL
    Participant

Is that Hipster Cam still operating in Brooklyn?

Participant

Peyton Manning AND Genius Joe?  Pete must have had the vapors….

2 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

• We moved from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to Brooklyn last month, to a nice neighborhood called Prospect Heights not far from Barclays Center (Kyrie, here we come). It’s our fourth move in the last 10.5 years, which says something about our decision-making I guess. But we’re happy here. Cool spot, cool neighborhood, and we can see lots of sky from our apartment, rare in New York.

It’s so fucking wrong that this no-talent, insufferable cunt has this kind of cash.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I hope he gets rolled wandering through some ‘up and coming’ neighborhood in search of a ‘microbrewery’ concocting some bullshit lavender chicken mole mead.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I spent 2 hours on Nantasket Beach yesterday, and I’m ready to move to Montana like LeBron.  Without the racial motives :lol:

Major Intangibles
    Participant

With the NFL embarking on the 100th season of professional football, you’re going to get hit over the head with history and momentousness in NFL storytelling a lot this year.

Enjoy getting CTE from all the history hitting you over the head!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lefty

It’s so fucking wrong that this no-talent, insufferable cunt has this kind of cash.

I have a slightly different take on it.   I don’t think lazy fat boy wants to move that much.   I am thinking there has been a decline in his media visibility (he’s a sub-set for Florio’s site, for god’s sake) and, hopefully, a corresponding decline in his revenue.   I think his moves, while couched in classic King fantasy speak, are out of economic necessity. I hope we are getting close to a column lecturing us all on uncluttering our lives and the superiority of a micro- studio in an upcoming ethnic neighborhood.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

With the NFL embarking on the 100th season of professional football, you’re going to get hit over the head with history and momentousness in NFL storytelling a lot this year.

That could have been posted here as a joke. In reality, it’s another example of PK’s casual insensitivity and obliviousness.

All these new ideas range between boring and terrible, but they’ll add 10k more words to his column, so that means it’s good idea:

Between now and the start of the season, I’ll be rolling out some new ideas in the column, some weekly, some occasional. They’ll include: 

• Call of the Week: An analytical examination of a play-call that played a significant part in the outcome of a game that weekend, with the help of Pro Football Focus data on deadline. Starting in September.

• The Best. The Worst. I’m stealing this from the media brand Fast Company. (Hope you guys don’t mind.) I saw an interview of a rising business star in the magazine, and they asked, “What’s your best habit? What’s your worst habit?” We’ll start today with Peyton Manning pondering the question.

• The NFL Century. With pro football entering its 100th season, I’ll take you with me seeing some historic things in my travels. This occasional section of the column begins today, with a look at the old Chicago Bears locker room in Wrigley Field.

• A World View. I liked so many of the ideas readers had for guest columns that, occasionally this year, I’ll ask readers to write abbreviated pieces about their lives and fandom.

• The Profile. A weekly look at a different slice of life of an NFL person, debuting today with former Texans and Lions safety Glover Quin, who retired this summer after a 10-year career. It also will include a profile photo of our subject.

I like that “The Profile” section will include a profile photo. The “profile/profile” thing is lame and, oh golly, an internet column with pictures? Way to break new ground. If King really wanted to be clever, he wouldn’t say anything about the photos and then wait for a reader to ask if the pictures being in profile was intentional.

Suzy
    Participant

Wow, great catch, MI! :ohmy:

chicowalker
    Participant

IIRC he could walk to the Acela from his place in Manhattan, where he livesd.  Not as convenient from Brooklyn.  I look forward for the first travel complaint where he missed his train to wherever because the subway was late, or his cabbie took a wrong turn, etc

Suzy
    Participant

But it’s not obliviousness. It’s deliberate–if even on some deeply buried level–and done 100% for attention. He’s a pos, and a deeply disturbed one.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

I have a slightly different take on it. I don’t think lazy fat boy wants to move that much. I am thinking there has been a decline in his media visibility (he’s a sub-set for Florio’s site, for god’s sake) and, hopefully, a corresponding decline in his revenue. I think his moves, while couched in classic King fantasy speak, are out of economic necessity. I hope we are getting close to a column lecturing us all on uncluttering our lives and the superiority of a micro- studio in an upcoming ethnic neighborhood.

I think he moves a lot for tax avoidance issues and also because he wants to increase the number of places he can toss into casual conversation or columns “I used to live in ___________”

chicowalker
    Participant

a Peter King bought in this building recently

Residences

all available units are over a million, up to 7.7 :ohmy:

chicowalker
    Participant

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

a Peter King bought in this building recently

all available units are over a million, up to 7.7 :ohmy:

Oh good, there’s a 25 year tax abatement for the wealthy.

Upside, when the revolution does come we’ll know where to send the screaming masses

RedSeat
    Participant

Reading up on the amenities and I found a new contender for world’s worst job: Pete King’s residential concierge.

chicowalker
    Participant

Reading up on the amenities and I found a new contender for world’s worst job: Pete King’s residential concierge.

Mr King, may I use your bathroom quickly before I grab your bags?

*too enthusiastically” Sure!

moments later, to 1.8 million twitter followers

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I like how he drops “Fast Company” like it hasn’t been around for 20+ years.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Side note, if I could afford that (in anywhere not in NYC and surrounds), I would do my George Jefferson stroll in and out of the building every day.

Lebron
    Participant

That “Neighborhood” link is fucking precious.  What a bunch of assholes.  Shop at fresh markets, enjoy ramen, hug a polo pony, play pickup or handball at the local park.  Ramen and handball.  The food and sport of the starving is now some multi-millionaire’s food and sport of choice.  Run a game with Lloyd Daniels and get yourself ready for Rucker Park.  Or the funeral home if a stray bullet hits you, it could be either!  And the pictures are exactly what you’d think, from the perfectly placed scooter to the hipster browsing vinyl at the local record store.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 218 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar