Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/16-7/22/2018 MLB All Star Week Thread

This topic contains 249 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 250 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Brian says, “Jump!”  I say, “How high?”

GusChiggins
    Participant

The Chiggins family expanded over the weekend, as we welcomed a wonderful little girl! Mom and baby are doing well.

She’s excited to join the It’s A Wonderful Life watch party this Christmas.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Brian says, “Jump!” I say, “How high?”

I am to do whatever you say Drill Seargent.

Brian
    Participant

The Chiggins family expanded over the weekend, as we welcomed a wonderful little girl! Mom and baby are doing well. She’s excited to join the It’s A Wonderful Life watch party this Christmas.

CONGRATS!!!!!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

<“Get off my lawn” gripe> Why do TV/radio announcers all over baseball — spurred on, I assume, by their teams’ PR flacks — insist on the phony metric “most (home runs, wins, etc.) before the All-Star break” when the All-Star break can come anywhere from 85 to 98 games in a team’s season, depending on how early they start playing, rainouts, schedule variables, when the ASB happens in July, etc.? I know it’s a feel-good thing for Red Sox fans, but it really doesn’t mean anything in terms of a statistic. Better to use milestones like after 54, 81, 108 games, isn’t it? At the one-third, one-half and two-thirds poles? And even then, a great first two-thirds of a season can be ruined by a muscle tear in the final third … Okay. Glad I got this off my chest.</”Get off my lawn” gripe>

:smile:

jforb
    Participant

CS, best part yesterday was them parroting the stats within a minute or two of mentioning that this is about the furthest into the season the all star game has ever been and not acknowledging the two points together.

chicowalker
    Participant

Congrats Gus!  Look forward to the theme songs to Nella the princess Knight, Paw Patrol, and Shimmer and Shine to be on a constant mashup in your head until you’ve gone mad :ohmy:   :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Paw Patrol!  Paw Patrol!  We’ll get there on the double!  Paw Patrol!  Paw Patrol!  Whenever you’re in trouble!  And I’m guessing that last aired in my house 3 years ago.

Octonauts were the only thing that saved my brain from turning to mashed potatoes.

Lebron
    Participant

<“Get off my lawn” gripe> Why do TV/radio announcers all over baseball — spurred on, I assume, by their teams’ PR flacks — insist on the phony metric “most (home runs, wins, etc.) before the All-Star break” when the All-Star break can come anywhere from 85 to 98 games in a team’s season, depending on how early they start playing, rainouts, schedule variables, when the ASB happens in July, etc.? I know it’s a feel-good thing for Red Sox fans, but it really doesn’t mean anything in terms of a statistic. Better to use milestones like after 54, 81, 108 games, isn’t it? At the one-third, one-half and two-thirds poles? And even then, a great first two-thirds of a season can be ruined by a muscle tear in the final third … Okay. Glad I got this off my chest.</”Get off my lawn” gripe”> 🙂

Rockies guys were doing this as well – Trevor Story, some caveman stat like most RBIs for an NL shortstop at the break.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Game Winning RBI’s=White Guy Stats

Participant

Participant

Peter King and The Klemko’s of the World will not rest until they don’t get to the bottom of this…..

NFL great Steve Young is feeling the heat — and this time, it’s not from a 300-pound defensive lineman.

The private equity firm the Hall of Fame quarterback co-founded in 2007 — eight years after he retired — stands accused of covering up a massive fraud at one of its companies.

The PE firm, HGGC (which was formerly known as Huntsman Gay Capital Partners), where Young is a managing director, “falsified test results” at its Citadel Plastics company, according to a lawsuit filed by rival plastic manufacturer A. Schulman, which bought Citadel for $800 million in 2015.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Congrats Gus! Look forward to the theme songs to Nella the princess Knight, Paw Patrol, and Shimmer and Shine to be on a constant mashup in your head until you’ve gone mad :ohmy: 😆

He’s got a ways to go before he gets to Nick Jr. He will have to run the gauntlet of Caillou and Barney first. Peppa Pig was my favorite of all those kids shows. They really went of their way to put in stuff that would amuse the adult audience.

chicowalker
    Participant

I do enjoy peppa pig.  The poor father is always getting shit on.  Basically it all boils down to “you shouldn’t try *random physical activity* with that fatass gut, daddy” :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

Brian says, “Jump!” I say, “How high?”

Wondering what Brian thinks of Ray Emery drowning.

Yahtzee
    Participant

<“Get off my lawn” gripe> Why do TV/radio announcers all over baseball — spurred on, I assume, by their teams’ PR flacks — insist on the phony metric “most (home runs, wins, etc.) before the All-Star break” when the All-Star break can come anywhere from 85 to 98 games in a team’s season, depending on how early they start playing, rainouts, schedule variables, when the ASB happens in July, etc.? I know it’s a feel-good thing for Red Sox fans, but it really doesn’t mean anything in terms of a statistic. Better to use milestones like after 54, 81, 108 games, isn’t it? At the one-third, one-half and two-thirds poles? And even then, a great first two-thirds of a season can be ruined by a muscle tear in the final third … Okay. Glad I got this off my chest.</”Get off my lawn” gripe> 🙂

I’m buying multiple copies of this issue of your newsletter.

Richard Sherman to Grand Theft Klemko:

“It’s just unfortunate. It’s really unfortunate,” Sherman says. “I think it’ll all come out when they do the 30 for 30. Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. You don’t have much left right now. And to say you’re not going to pay Earl Thomas is just … There’s no decline in play there. He’s played the game the right way. Who do you have to pay? You have the two best linebackers in the game. You have the quarterback. You have a great wide receiver in Doug [Baldwin]. And you’re paying Duane Brown.

“They’ve lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.”

No cap awareness whatsoever, or acknowledgement that a lot of their success was due to having second rounders (Wagner), third rounders (Wilson), fifth rounders (Sherman, Chancellor), and undrafteds (Bennett, Baldwin, Kearse) playing WAYYYY above their draft slots on their rookie deals, and that paying everybody their due made for an unsustainable situation.

Mistakes and poor judgment? Give me a fucking break. You can’t pay everyone. Are you suggesting the Seahawks should continually draft All-Pros in the fifth round? Get the fuck out of here with this “lost their way” bullshit.

Participant

It’s everyone’s fault but Dick Sherman’s.

jforb
    Participant

If every team just avoided those one or two little mistakes, they’d all be as successful as the Pats.

Coma
    Participant

Paw Patrol! Paw Patrol! We’ll get there on the double! Paw Patrol! Paw Patrol! Whenever you’re in trouble! And I’m guessing that last aired in my house 3 years ago. Octonauts were the only thing that saved my brain from turning to mashed potatoes.

This isn’t going to be a very helpful post, but there’s a hip-hop song they play at the gym where the chorus sounds like they’re saying “Paw Patrol.” I always have to stop and think “Is Flo Rida (or whoever) really rapping about Paw Patrol?”

Lebron
    Participant

I remember reading something where Young admitted all he does is schmooze clients.

Lebron
    Participant

The Franchise That Lost Its Way by Dick Sherman

Feejis
    Participant

“It’s just unfortunate. It’s really unfortunate,” Sherman says. “I think it’ll all come out when they do the 30 for 30. Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. You don’t have much left right now. And to say you’re not going to pay Earl Thomas is just … There’s no decline in play there. He’s played the game the right way. Who do you have to pay? You have the two best linebackers in the game. You have the quarterback. You have a great wide receiver in Doug [Baldwin]. And you’re paying Duane Brown. “They’ve lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.”

No cap awareness whatsoever, or acknowledgement that a lot of their success was due to having second rounders (Wagner), third rounders (Wilson), fifth rounders (Sherman, Chancellor), and undrafteds (Bennett, Baldwin, Kearse) playing WAYYYY above their draft slots on their rookie deals, and that paying everybody their due made for an unsustainable situation. Mistakes and poor judgment? Give me a fucking break. You can’t pay everyone. Are you suggesting the Seahawks should continually draft All-Pros in the fifth round? Get the fuck out of here with this “lost their way” bullshit.

I also saw Gurley was bitching about contracts and how they should be paid like NBA guys with guaranteed deals.

Sure thing Todd. NFL rosters are only 6x bigger than NBA rosters. Just pay everyone!

chicowalker
    Participant

Fatty’s new site allows comments! (for now… :ph34r: )

Big Fat O
    Participant

I thought only the Pats were skin flints and everyone else pays the players. Who knew.

Lebron
    Participant

Grand Theft did 3 days on the Colorado Trail with a buddy

Over three days and 31 miles of backpacking, he flash-boiled the water and made the meals (dehydrated foods only, for weight purposes), put up the tent and navigated the trail. All I did was put one foot in front of the other and avoid having the wind blow me and my 40-pound pack down a mountainside to my death.

What a dick.  I’ll just sit here while you make my food and provide my shelter.  And if his pack was 40 pounds guessing the buddy carried another 10+

Participant

It all comes back to WW2 and Jaws Danny.

On July 16, 1945, the United States exploded its first experimental atomic bomb in the desert of Alamogordo, New Mexico; the same day, the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis left Mare Island Naval Shipyard in California on a secret mission to deliver atomic bomb components to Tinian Island in the Marianas.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

DeGrom’s agent

“If the Mets don’t share [the] same interest, we believe their best course of action is to seriously consider trade opportunities now,” Van Wagenen said in the statement, which was published Monday. “The inertia of [the] current situation could complicate Jacob’s relationship with the club and creates an atmosphere of indecision.”

He’s under their control through ’20.  Yeah, we’ll get right on that trade demand.

jforb
    Participant

:blink: :blink:   :blink:

BrianInLA
    Participant

“It’s just unfortunate. It’s really unfortunate,” Sherman says. “I think it’ll all come out when they do the 30 for 30. Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. You don’t have much left right now. And to say you’re not going to pay Earl Thomas is just … There’s no decline in play there. He’s played the game the right way. Who do you have to pay? You have the two best linebackers in the game. You have the quarterback. You have a great wide receiver in Doug [Baldwin]. And you’re paying Duane Brown. “They’ve lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.”

No cap awareness whatsoever, or acknowledgement that a lot of their success was due to having second rounders (Wagner), third rounders (Wilson), fifth rounders (Sherman, Chancellor), and undrafteds (Bennett, Baldwin, Kearse) playing WAYYYY above their draft slots on their rookie deals, and that paying everybody their due made for an unsustainable situation. Mistakes and poor judgment? Give me a fucking break. You can’t pay everyone. Are you suggesting the Seahawks should continually draft All-Pros in the fifth round? Get the fuck out of here with this “lost their way” bullshit.

I also saw Gurley was bitching about contracts and how they should be paid like NBA guys with guaranteed deals. Sure thing Todd. NFL rosters are only 6x bigger than NBA rosters. Just pay everyone!

TMZ caught Gurley coming out of some restaurant here and he was basically saying the players are going to “lock out” when the new deal comes up because they should get guaranteed contracts. Of course the media had to point out that its the owners that lock out and the players that strike. But basically saying that a lot has to change because the owners are making billions and the players collectively don’t think its flowing downhill. Thankfully I’ll be fully off the NFL bandwagon by then.

Lebron
    Participant

Bell didn’t get his long term deal done, agent says this will be his last year in Pittsburgh

“It became clear the Steelers wanted to pay the position, not the player,” Bakari said.

Agent sounds like he’s never negotiated an NFL contract.  Can’t wait to see him roll in to camp this year.  I’m sure limos, fireworks and zoot suits will be involved.

Guess the Steelers lost their way.

Participant

Has the tag been slapped on Bell yet?

NASCL
    Participant

Gill looks like he’s hitting the bottle harder than Tommy O’Neill.

Turd Furguson
    Participant

has anyone seen this re; kids shows?

https://youtu.be/1UZFZjYEmx0

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Is this the ESPN G team? Bill Nye and 2 guys I’ve never heard of.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Baring any sort of injury I can’t see how Gillislee ends up on the Pats roster come week 1.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Peter King no longer warrants a takedown now that he is writing for NBC Sports? I noticed his column is now under the Pro Football Talk banner. I hope he has to submit his articles to Florio.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

“Most of the calls that seemed to create the most controversy, we ruled them correctly and then they were overturned on replay.”

—NFL referee Walt Coleman, in Plano, Texas, Friday at the annual pre-season training symposium for league officials, in an Associated Press report.

Ruh roh. Not nice to go against the family, Walt.

Fatty philosophy 101: never cross the bosses.

3. I think I’ll have an opinion on LeSean McCoy and the ugly accusations and story encircling him after his former live-in girlfriend was beaten up and robbed at the home they formerly shared … in time. I think it’s too early to conclusion-jump.

E.g., let’s see which way the wind blows first, e.g., let’s see what Roger wants me to say.

I’ve always maintained this about Rodgers: He’s got so many other things he loves in life that I can’t see him playing till he’s 45.

“Until” or “’til”, Dom.

Lebron
    Participant

Me on T.O.

I need Pete’s take on a personal decision.

Lebron
    Participant

He disagrees with my take that he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker, take fewer hits.

‘He’ being Aaron Rodgers.  I can see Pete wagging the finger as he’s telling him this.

Lebron
    Participant

What’s more—and hat-tip to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe for this—four more refs are nearing retirement age.

Pete couldn’t even bother to look it up, but throws out a ‘hat tip’ to someone that did.  Like Pete Morelli’s age was a secret only revealed by cultivating multiple sources.

Lebron
    Participant

This is a really good organization that needs to get back on course.

Pete identifying the Arizona Cardinals as another Puppy Who Lost His Way

Lebron
    Participant

Clay Martin is one of the four new NFL refs, promoted after only three seasons as an NFL official. He was an umpire prior to this appointment. This is a big deal, because franchise refs like Gene Steratore, Terry McAulay and Ed Hochuli have left officiating…

“Franchise Refs”

jforb
    Participant

What’s more—and hat-tip to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe for this—four more refs are nearing retirement age.

Pete couldn’t even bother to look it up, but throws out a ‘hat tip’ to someone that did. Like Pete Morelli’s age was a secret only revealed by cultivating multiple sources.

Not like Breer or Klemko or anyone else he hired bothered doing anything like that. Of course, Volin probably only did because that’s about as challenging a task as he can manage and it probably took several days to do.

Lebron
    Participant

Bootleg Barnicle or Pete?

I’m yelling at the TV, rooting for Novak Djokovic during his 10-8 fifth-set, five-hour win over Raffy Nadal.

‘Raffy’ Nadal.

Participant

Clay Martin is one of the four new NFL refs, promoted after only three seasons as an NFL official. He was an umpire prior to this appointment. This is a big deal, because franchise refs like Gene Steratore, Terry McAulay and Ed Hochuli have left officiating…

“Franchise Refs”

AKA – folks that will return my calls and play Grabass with me.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar