Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/16-7/22/2018 MLB All Star Week Thread

This topic contains 249 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 250 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Did we miss this? I think we missed this. Darren!!

https://bostonsportzmedia.com

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Yahtzee
    Participant

Did we miss this? I think we missed this. Darren!! https://bostonsportzmedia.com

What??!!

Lebron
    Participant

Powered by WordPress and everything.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I think even Brian would have a problem with some of the misspellings. Otherwise, I liked it.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

“Actor/Minor hood”? BestofBSMW! You do not come to Twitter and talk about a man like Alex Rocco like that!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

At least Actor was listed first.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I think even Brian would have a problem with some of the misspellings. Otherwise, I liked it.

I do like:

CONTACT:  Sorry, you can’t contact us to whine about coverage of yourself on this site.

Suzy
    Participant

“Actor/Minor hood”? BestofBSMW! You do not come to Twitter and talk about a man like Alex Rocco like that!

:lol: RIGHT?!

Suzy
    Participant

There’s some egregious stuff on there. Yikes.  :ohmy:

“They we’re entitle and lazy”

They’re on the right side of all the issues, though.  :wub:

Did we miss this? I think we missed this. Darren!! https://bostonsportzmedia.com

Given the name and the viewpoints, is this one of us?

Not sure the point. For example:

Controversial WEEI columnist and on-air personality John Tomase, who infamously wrote and retracted the libelous claim that the New England Patriots taped the walk-through of the then-St Louis Rams prior to Super Bowl 36, apparently has protective clauses in his contract which prevent his work colleagues from confronting him about his falsehoods.

Sources indicate that this clause is a polarizing topic at WEEI, causing divisions which could topple the station’s place near the top of the local ratings. Frustrations have boiled over in meetings at the station where it is felt that Tomase enjoys special protection because of his friendship with WEEI editor Rob Bradford.

He has protective clauses? Tell me more. I mean, we’ve guessed at this here. Like I believe Tomase saying, “I’m not here to talk about that” is the WEEI version of a safe word for them to then change the subject immediately. I’ve heard this happen enough to believe it, but I don’t have any proof of it.

I’m not sure what the payoff is for whomever created the site. Seems like a lot of work and setup for Tweet-long punchlines.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Brilliant!  Checking  :ph34r: to see if there is any backstory …

jforb
    Participant

Brilliant! Checking :ph34r: to see if there is any backstory …

Don’t know anything but :ph34r:

Feejis
    Participant

Given the name and the viewpoints, is this one of us? Not sure the point. For example:

Controversial WEEI columnist and on-air personality John Tomase, who infamously wrote and retracted the libelous claim that the New England Patriots taped the walk-through of the then-St Louis Rams prior to Super Bowl 36, apparently has protective clauses in his contract which prevent his work colleagues from confronting him about his falsehoods. Sources indicate that this clause is a polarizing topic at WEEI, causing divisions which could topple the station’s place near the top of the local ratings. Frustrations have boiled over in meetings at the station where it is felt that Tomase enjoys special protection because of his friendship with WEEI editor Rob Bradford.

He has protective clauses? Tell me more. I mean, we’ve guessed at this here. Like I believe Tomase saying, “I’m not here to talk about that” is the WEEI version of a safe word for them to then change the subject immediately. I’ve heard this happen enough to believe it, but I don’t have any proof of it. I’m not sure what the payoff is for whomever created the site. Seems like a lot of work and setup for Tweet-long punchlines.

He probably had someone define questions about his manufactured stories as a hostile work environment.

Why Bradford deemed him a must-have hire boggles the mind.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Why Bradford deemed him a must-have hire boggles the mind.

It’s Rob Bradford; don’t go searching for well thought out strategic thinking behind decisions.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Controversial WEEI columnist and on-air personality John Tomase, who infamously wrote and retracted the libelous claim that the New England Patriots taped the walk-through of the then-St Louis Rams prior to Super Bowl 36, apparently has protective clauses in his contract which prevent his work colleagues from confronting him about his falsehoods.

Sources indicate that this clause is a polarizing topic at WEEI, causing divisions which could topple the station’s place near the top of the local ratings. Frustrations have boiled over in meetings at the station where it is felt that Tomase enjoys special protection because of his friendship with WEEI editor Rob Bradford.

He has protective clauses? Tell me more. I mean, we’ve guessed at this here. Like I believe Tomase saying, “I’m not here to talk about that” is the WEEI version of a safe word for them to then change the subject immediately. I’ve heard this happen enough to believe it, but I don’t have any proof of it.

I’m not sure what the payoff is for whomever created the site. Seems like a lot of work and setup for Tweet-long punchlines.

Thornton* wrote on Twitter that he was banned from bringing the topic up. A couple of weeks ago Kurt mentioned something about not being allowed to talk about it or Tomase doesn’t have to go on a show if he doesn’t want to.

*Does Thornton have a nickname?

My agenda is truth.

jforb
    Participant

Thornton* wrote on Twitter that he was banned from bringing the topic up. A couple of weeks ago Kurt mentioned something about not being allowed to talk about it or Tomase doesn’t have to go on a show if he doesn’t want to. *Does Thornton have a nickname?

Thanks. Forgot about Thornton saying that.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October. Gee. That’s an original take.

I won’t read it but headline to Shank’s column today suggests he’s written the same thing. Again.

Is Sullivan still there or is it the new guy who apparently doesn’t have the balls to say “hey, this has been done, write about something else this week”?

Shank even worked in a Dean Wormer reference! He’ll never change!

Coma
    Participant

I could see Tomase requesting that certain topics not be brought up with or about him and management asking people to go along with it. To have it as part of his contract seems like a laminated note excusing a young Tomase from gym class.

Coma
    Participant

A former WFAN employee is suing Joe Benigno claiming, among other things, he pressured her to join him in a threesome. That’s pretty bold, considering a twosome with Benigno is too much to ask.

Hacksaw
    Participant

A former WFAN employee is suing Joe Benigno claiming, among other things, he pressured her to join him in a threesome. That’s pretty bold, considering a twosome with Benigno is too much to ask.

I feel bad for the employee, but does she know people who work in radio are either nerds or creeps.

Humphrey
    Participant

Hey Nick, the Sox and the Yankees BOTH have 9 games left against the Orioles.   So if the Orioles suck worse than they’ve sucked, it’s no advantage to either team.

Also, it’s interesting that the current lead is 3.5 games and the teams are basically dead even if you throw out the O’s games (9-1 vs 5-5)

Participant

Magician Beard, Dum Dum and KD Lang to 2-6.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Magician Beard with BB will be must listen on Mondays  :weei:

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

No more of Dale’s long-winded questions to Belichick? No more of Dale casually mentioning how he was at the Pats game on Sunday? Approve.

I wish Pozo were here to enjoy Dale losing the afternoon time slot.

My agenda is truth.

Participant

No more of Dale’s long-winded questions to Belichick? No more of Dale casually mentioning how he was at the Pats game on Sunday? Approve. I wish Pozo were here to enjoy Dale losing the afternoon time slot.

So he leaves Bellingham at around 8 and gets home around midnight on the days the Bruins play.  Sweet gig.

NASCL
    Participant

I love that Dale is the voice over of an ED commercial masquerading as a prostate health commercial.  Twelve second introduction on prostate health and 48 seconds of ED talk.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

No more of Dale’s long-winded questions to Belichick? No more of Dale casually mentioning how he was at the Pats game on Sunday? Approve. I wish Pozo were here to enjoy Dale losing the afternoon time slot.

So he leaves Bellingham at around 8 and gets home around midnight on the days the Bruins play. Sweet gig.

Seeing how much they love each other, maybe empty nesters Dale and Susan try to move to the same downtown condo building as Eddie and the Fabulous J …   :lol:

Speaking of EGA … I don’t think that anyone has posted a tweet from him in quite a few weeks. Has he entered the “locked ward” at Del Boca Vista?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Any new LJ cartoons out there?

Participant

I once saw a movie without Samuel Jackson or Morgan Freedman and Michael Caine believe or not.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It’s like the Caine-Hackman Theory from that lousy movie PCU which stated that no mater what time of day you could always find a movie on cable staring either Gene Hackman or Michael Cain. Perhaps true in the early 90’s not so much today.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

We lost Pozo when the Legacy Board crashed that final time.  :-(

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Feejis
    Participant

It’s like the Caine-Hackman Theory from that lousy movie PCU which stated that no mater what time of day you could always find a movie on cable staring either Gene Hackman or Michael Cain. Perhaps true in the early 90’s not so much today.

Tidbit I learned while watching Die Hard the other day – the actor who played the oily salesman who ID’ed McLane went on to become a director and directed PCU.

chicowalker
    Participant

re: Jim Murray’s twitter feed…are people this desperate for any kind of scraps from someone with a blue checkmark?  The entire thing is people seeking validation for their cultural or culinary choices- “Jim, I forgot to ask you, what do you think of the Pixies?”  This person should be throttled.  Do you like the Pixies? Great, continue to like the Pixies. Don’t like the Pixies? Easy to avoid, every so often “here comes your man” pops up in a movie.  Does he think he’s going to turn recalcitrant, middle aged Jim Murray on to the Pixies, a band that’s been around in one form or the other for 30+ years? Or worse, does he (excitedly) think that maybe he’s introducing Boston based college rock stalwarts The Pixies to someone who (nominally, given his taste) has been squarely in their demo for almost his entire life?  It’s all so sad

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’m assuming Thibs loves Smart, and he’ll be a material part of the extension and trade for Karl Anthony-Towns next Summer.

Suzy
    Participant

So driving back from Delaware I listened to NY sports radio–their pregame, ask the manager stuff and all that. Plus some of the Yankees game itself. John Sterling wasn’t *THAT* obnoxious but that Suzy what’s her name, who cried like a little bitch that time at Torre’s last game (to the acute embarrassment of even Sterling himself) and then trotted out the “WE BOTH HAD CANCER!” excuse for her unprofessionalism–wow, is she bad. Shrill AF yet shows zero emotion or enthusiasm when reading ad copy. If I’d paid for that “advertising” I’d demand my money back. Just awful.

And while Francesa takes a lot of shit here and elsewhere, at least the man talks sports and can actually identify non-Yanks/Mets players and discuss trade possibilities, etc. intelligently. I found the show interesting–not a bad way to spend some drive time at all–and I don’t care who knows it. :lol: At least he and his (sometimes goofy) callers TALK SPORTS.

Meanwhile the smarmy, giggling, ignorant creeps on EEI’s morning show are actually MOCKING sports—“Ooooh, hockey talk got me through the spring”–and basically making fun of them and anyone who wants to discuss them. Can’t imagine what non-locals think when they hear the absolute garbage that passes for sports radio around here. Just embarrassing.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I’m assuming Thibs loves Smart, and he’ll be a material part of the extension and trade for Karl Anthony-Towns next Summer.

Straw that stirs the drink. I don’t know, it seems like fair dollars, considering his value to the Cs. Plus, he becomes an asset on matching salaries in a trade. Core lineup returns, plus a couple all stars. Let’s fucking do this

chicowalker
    Participant

So driving back from Delaware I listened to NY sports radio–their pregame, ask the manager stuff and all that. Plus some of the Yankees game itself. John Sterling wasn’t *THAT* obnoxious but that Suzy what’s her name, who cried like a little bitch that time at Torre’s last game (to the acute embarrassment of even Sterling himself) and then trotted out the “WE BOTH HAD CANCER!” excuse for her unprofessionalism–wow, is she bad. Shrill AF yet shows zero emotion or enthusiasm when reading ad copy. If I’d paid for that “advertising” I’d demand my money back. Just awful. And while Francesa takes a lot of shit here and elsewhere, at least the man talks sports and can actually identify non-Yanks/Mets players and discuss trade possibilities, etc. intelligently. I found the show interesting–not a bad way to spend some drive time at all–and I don’t care who knows it. :lol: At least he and his (sometimes goofy) callers TALK SPORTS. Meanwhile the smarmy, giggling, ignorant creeps on EEI’s morning show are actually MOCKING sports—“Ooooh, hockey talk got me through the spring”–and basically making fun of them and anyone who wants to discuss them. Can’t imagine what non-locals think when they hear the absolute garbage that passes for sports radio around here. Just embarrassing.

Did anyone prank Francessa while you were listening? Those are always good

Suzy
    Participant

So driving back from Delaware I listened to NY sports radio–their pregame, ask the manager stuff and all that. Plus some of the Yankees game itself. John Sterling wasn’t *THAT* obnoxious but that Suzy what’s her name, who cried like a little bitch that time at Torre’s last game (to the acute embarrassment of even Sterling himself) and then trotted out the “WE BOTH HAD CANCER!” excuse for her unprofessionalism–wow, is she bad. Shrill AF yet shows zero emotion or enthusiasm when reading ad copy. If I’d paid for that “advertising” I’d demand my money back. Just awful. And while Francesa takes a lot of shit here and elsewhere, at least the man talks sports and can actually identify non-Yanks/Mets players and discuss trade possibilities, etc. intelligently. I found the show interesting–not a bad way to spend some drive time at all–and I don’t care who knows it. :lol: At least he and his (sometimes goofy) callers TALK SPORTS. Meanwhile the smarmy, giggling, ignorant creeps on EEI’s morning show are actually MOCKING sports—“Ooooh, hockey talk got me through the spring”–and basically making fun of them and anyone who wants to discuss them. Can’t imagine what non-locals think when they hear the absolute garbage that passes for sports radio around here. Just embarrassing.

Did anyone prank Francessa while you were listening? Those are always good https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

:lol: Unfortunately, no. And he didn’t fall asleep (that I could ascertain, anyhow). The guy takes himself VERY seriously…talks out of his ass quite a bit…and is an unabashed homer. Yet he’s head and shoulders above any of the assholes we’re subjected to here.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Tidbit I learned while watching Die Hard the other day – the actor who played the oily salesman who ID’ed McLane went on to become a director and directed PCU.

Hart Bochner?  Did not know that. One of the greats, Danny. Had a small, but pivotal role, as the alpha frat guy in Breaking Away.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Also, just so we’re all aware the Micks and Pricks Nantucket Gin Blossom Parade and Soire is next Saturday the 28th.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So driving back from Delaware I listened to NY sports radio–their pregame, ask the manager stuff and all that. Plus some of the Yankees game itself. John Sterling wasn’t *THAT* obnoxious but that Suzy what’s her name, who cried like a little bitch that time at Torre’s last game (to the acute embarrassment of even Sterling himself) and then trotted out the “WE BOTH HAD CANCER!” excuse for her unprofessionalism–wow, is she bad.

Sadly, Suzyn Waldman is a Boston-area native who used to pass as a Red Sox fan. Moved to NYC and became a musical theatre actress and used to sing the national anthem before the Yankees put her on the radio team.  She’s almost 72 and Sterling (I read here) just turned 80. So they’re going to be replaced soon.

How much you wanna bet that Pinkeye Costas decides to take his “dream job,” leaves NBC and moves behind the Yankee microphone?   “I’m following in Mel Allen’s footsteps!”   :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

Francesa is seemingly the least crazy personality at WFAN.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Don’t worry. Displaced Bostonian is on Twitter comforting Dick Teeth and his many fans in their time of need.

My agenda is truth.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Is Rick Keefe out too?

Suzy
    Participant

Did anyone prank Francessa while you were listening? Those are always good https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Jut listened to this. :lol:

Suzy
    Participant

Anyone else posting stuff that disappears after you press submit? I’m terrible at WordPress!

NASCL
    Participant

Did you hear about Brian Keith?

Ironhead
    Participant

Don’t worry. Displaced Bostonian is on Twitter comforting Dick Teeth and his many fans in their time of need.

Yup, yup.  It’s the least I can do.

Participant

Karma’s a bitch as Keith took a dump on the good Isiah Thomas’s recent contract signing.

67 year old glenn ordway will get the kids listening to radio from 2-6 everyday – is the whiner line coming back?

LJ’s gonna love the move Cwaig, He weally, weally is.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar