Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/16-7/22/2018 MLB All Star Week Thread

This topic contains 249 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 250 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

This PFF quote is amazing

The MVNQ (most valuable non-quarterback), according to PFF, is Saints wideout Michael Thomas. Strange, because he was PFF’s fourth-rated receiver (behind Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins) last year.

Hey guys, if that’s true, then at least one of your stats is pure bull. Way to call it out instead of being impressed Petey.

I think this is more sports than politics:

ITT was saying there had to be self-interest involved the year Trump was calling Kraft every week after Myra died. Wonder if there’s any documentation anywhere of Kraft advocating for Trump to get the Bills.

Lebron
    Participant

Not a fan of Jon Wertheim generally but his article on NFL ownership/succession today is a good one.  Found this interesting with regard to family ownership issues like with the Saints a couple of years ago now the Broncos:

A source with firsthand knowledge of the NFL tells SI that in part to combat “the Beverly Hillbillies scenario,” the NFL keeps close ties with a group of billionaires, who could—and would—potentially buy a team. Steeped in finance backgrounds, they would, presumably, run teams with professionalism, emotional detachment and sophistication, unencumbered by family drama and melodrama. They would buy a team to diversify existing wealth rather than to create new wealth. According to the source, the league’s thinking goes like this: The 32 NFL franchises should be run like the multibillion-dollar assets they are; not like multimillion-dollar assets they were.

Inside NFL headquarters, the names on the list of potential owners are referred to as “Tiger cubs.” Roger Goodell’s brother, Bill, was a longtime general counsel at Tiger Management, a successful New York hedge fund, where his colleagues included men with the means and interest to own an NFL team. It has not gone unnoticed that the NBA has made a recent practice of seeing to it that when longtime owners are ready (or forced) to sell—Herb Kohl in Milwaukee, Donald Sterling with the Clippers—the buyers have been billionaires from out of state who made their fortunes outside of sports. The eventual buyer of the Panthers, David Tepper, is a hedge-fund billionaire (net worth $11 billion) from Pittsburgh who was well-known to the league as a minority owner of the Steelers. (The NFL did not respond to multiple requests for comment for this story.)

The first paragraph makes you think ‘this is good, you’re more likely to get ownership that can actually run a team and not a series of thanks dads’ but then you read the second paragraph and you come away thinking ‘great so the next generation of ownership is basically cuckolded to Goodell and his brother’ as well as further cementing that Goodell wants to be Emperor For Life.

Lebron
    Participant

So Tepper was one of these ‘Tiger cubs.’  In one of his last SI columns Pete throws out one of his hair brained ideas – ‘Jerry Richardson would rather sell the team for $250 mil less if it guarantees that the team stays in Carolina’ – and sure enough Tepper gets the team for around that amount less than what the league told one of the groups they would have to come in at.  Clearly Pete got fed something – like a trial balloon on the sale price.  Also reinforces the scumbaggery of that fucking league.  The group they told to come in at least at a particular amount never ended up bidding if memory serves, and the sale price was less than what the league told them the floor was.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Bootleg Barnicle or Pete?

I’m yelling at the TV, rooting for Novak Djokovic during his 10-8 fifth-set, five-hour win over Raffy Nadal.

‘Raffy’ Nadal.

Well, the column was running long, a concession had to be made.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

Thanks every cell phone in the building for announcing that flood watch.

Coma
    Participant

What’s more—and hat-tip to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe for this—four more refs are nearing retirement age.

Pete couldn’t even bother to look it up, but throws out a ‘hat tip’ to someone that did. Like Pete Morelli’s age was a secret only revealed by cultivating multiple sources.

Relying on Volin for accurate information is always a dubious proposition. Relying on him to have correctly calculated the age for multiple people is an unprotected sex in Haiti level of risk.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Thanks every cell phone in the building for announcing that flood watch.

That sounds scares the shit out of me. I bet it gives more people heart attacks than it saves from flash floods. :pk:

NASCL
    Participant

Ten bucks says Felger sticks his index fingers in his ears when the weather warning sounds.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October.

Gee. That’s an original take.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So Alex Bregman was the only American League player to participate in the Home Run Derby.  Alex Bregman?  Maybe it’s time for MLB to give the HRD the shove.

Lebron
    Participant

I had never heard of the Phillies guy that participated, and only heard of the Dodgers guy last week.

Between the Rockies and the Red Sox I admit I’ve been watching more baseball than in the past 5+ years.

Lebron
    Participant

Some local guy was talking about the stupidity of the derby and mentioned that year that Josh Hamilton hit all those home runs he didn’t even win it, all the home runs were in the semis.  Wasn’t aware of that and had to look it up to confirm, just assumed he did win that year but it was Justin Morneau.  Also learned they’ve been doing it since 1985.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October.

Gee. That’s an original take.

Ersatz and a strained matryoshka dolls analogy in the first four paragraphs. I tapped out. That was before I realized he wrote a similar column two weeks ago.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

So Tepper was one of these ‘Tiger cubs.’ In one of his last SI columns Pete throws out one of his hair brained ideas – ‘Jerry Richardson would rather sell the team for $250 mil less if it guarantees that the team stays in Carolina’ – and sure enough Tepper gets the team for around that amount less than what the league told one of the groups they would have to come in at. Clearly Pete got fed something – like a trial balloon on the sale price. Also reinforces the scumbaggery of that fucking league. The group they told to come in at least at a particular amount never ended up bidding if memory serves, and the sale price was less than what the league told them the floor was.

My SIL works closely with one of the other bidders, I’ll ask her about this later this month. But I know that guy – Navarro – had no interest in moving them. I think his big issue was he was not a minority owner of the Steelers which seems to be the #1 criteria.

Feejis
    Participant

This Weymouth cop story is brutal, but that has to be a million to one shot to throw a rock large enough to incapacitate the cop and actually hit your target without him being able to get out of the way.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

This biggest problem with the HR Derby is that its too freaking long. Cut out all the BS and keep it to under 75 minutes. Maybe even truck in some non-All-star DH’s to make up for the lack of top-shelf talent.

Lebron
    Participant

It’s the only event they have, not like the NBA with the skills competition/3 point contest/dunk contest or the NHL with slapshot and whatever else.  Probably wouldn’t pack a ballpark selling tickets to something that lasts an hour.

jforb
    Participant

It’s the only event they have, not like the NBA with the skills competition/3 point contest/dunk contest or the NHL with slapshot and whatever else. Probably wouldn’t pack a ballpark selling tickets to something that lasts an hour.

Double the size and then have the first round or two be dark matches.

Lebron
    Participant

5 years $80 million for Cooks.  No idea on the guaranteed dough, but that’s certifiable.  No way the Rams know there is a cap.

Humphrey
    Participant

What’s more—and hat-tip to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe for this—four more refs are nearing retirement age.

Pete couldn’t even bother to look it up, but throws out a ‘hat tip’ to someone that did. Like Pete Morelli’s age was a secret only revealed by cultivating multiple sources.

Relying on Volin for accurate information is always a dubious proposition. Relying on him to have correctly calculated the age for multiple people is an unprotected sex in Haiti level of risk.

Amazing how many total assholes wind up on those NFLN “Top 10″ shows.   Simple Ben was on one I watched the other day along with Pete Prisco, Damon Amendolara, he of this headline ”

Patriots Fans Turning On Brady, Belichick

The drama in New England has created a Team Tom and Team Bill divide, Dan Shaughnessy said”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Moved to politics.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Yahtzee.

5 years $80 million for Cooks. No idea on the guaranteed dough, but that’s certifiable. No way the Rams know there is a cap.

The Rams may lose a lot of games. But never let it be said they lost their way.

Lebron
    Participant

The Rams are insane.  They traded for Talib who has 2 years around $20 mil left.  Peters has 2 years, this year less than 2 mil but next year it’s like 9 mil.  Suh is a one year deal at 14 mil.  Donald is already pissed about his deal and is a UFA next year.  Gurley and Goff will need new deals in the next couple of years.  But Bill is too cheap!

Hacksaw
    Participant

This all star game is all grab ass for Joe Buck.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar