Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/16-7/22/2018 MLB All Star Week Thread

This topic contains 249 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 250 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

According to the Twitters, Tony Mazz said Mike Trout is bad for baseball.

ASG home run must be like gout.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

According to the Twitters, Tony Mazz said Mike Trout is bad for baseball.

ASG home run must be like gout.

Tony Mazz is bad for baseball. He doesn’t get it and shits on it constantly.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Participant

Brent Musburger is about to be named Raiders radio play by play guy – he’s 5 years younger than Gino.

Lebron
    Participant

I thought that was one of the Papa brother’s gigs.  Greg maybe

Participant

I thought that was one of the Papa brother’s gigs. Greg maybe

Correct, Greg.

Report wasn’t sure if he was aware of the news.  :ohmy:

Feejis
    Participant

Bad week for the Papas. First John, now Greg.

Barba has better watch his back.

Yahtzee
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October. Gee. That’s an original take.

I won’t read it but headline to Shank’s column today suggests he’s written the same thing. Again.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Brent Musburger is about to be named Raiders radio play by play guy – he’s 5 years younger than Gino.

Saw Musberger make an appearance on NHL Network before one of the Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup Finals games. He’s like a one-man Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. And he ain’t no Bill King.

Lefty

Saw Musberger make an appearance on NHL Network before one of the Golden Knights’ Stanley Cup Finals games. He’s like a one-man Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce. And he ain’t no Bill King.

He’s got some tie in to the Vegas Stats Network or some such thing and is pretty much out front as a connector between sports and gambling.   The corpse of Pete Rozelle is likely spinning in its grave that Brent is going to be PBP guy for an NFL team.

jforb
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October. Gee. That’s an original take.

I won’t read it but headline to Shank’s column today suggests he’s written the same thing. Again.

Is Sullivan still there or is it the new guy who apparently doesn’t have the balls to say “hey, this has been done, write about something else this week”?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Rams are insane. They traded for Talib who has 2 years around $20 mil left. Peters has 2 years, this year less than 2 mil but next year it’s like 9 mil. Suh is a one year deal at 14 mil. Donald is already pissed about his deal and is a UFA next year. Gurley and Goff will need new deals in the next couple of years. But Bill is too cheap!

The Rams are mortgaging the 2020 team for a big splash in the next two years. Maybe they make the Super Bowl  or maybe they get punked in the 1st round. Either way they are going to suck all the media attention away for the Chargers for the next 24 months and honestly that is probably the whole point. Make the Chargers an after thought in the eyes of the Southern California public for the next few years and it will take the Bolts years, if not decades to recover unless they can somehow become the Juggernaut they have never been able to become before.  The Rans are going for a Giants/Jets dynamic and that is probably more important to ownership in the long run than actually winning a Super Bowl.

Coma
    Participant

If anyone out there has committed the mortal sin of quietly enjoying some pretty good baseball from the Red Sox over their first 98 games, be warned: Kid Gas says that it don’t mean nuthin’ unless they win it all in October.

Gee. That’s an original take.

The Red Sox have 64 games left. If they go .500, they’ll reach 100 wins. If they go 38-26 in the second half of the season (.594 winning percentage, they were at .694 in the first half,) they’ll set the franchise record for wins in a season. On the negative side, the team has a .002 likeability percentage.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The Rams are insane. They traded for Talib who has 2 years around $20 mil left. Peters has 2 years, this year less than 2 mil but next year it’s like 9 mil. Suh is a one year deal at 14 mil. Donald is already pissed about his deal and is a UFA next year. Gurley and Goff will need new deals in the next couple of years. But Bill is too cheap!

The Rams are mortgaging the 2020 team for a big splash in the next two years. Maybe they make the Super Bowl or maybe they get punked in the 1st round. Either way they are going to suck all the media attention away for the Chargers for the next 24 months and honestly that is probably the whole point. Make the Chargers an after thought in the eyes of the Southern California public for the next few years and it will take the Bolts years, if not decades to recover unless they can somehow become the Juggernaut they have never been able to become before. The Rans are going for a Giants/Jets dynamic and that is probably more important to ownership in the long run than actually winning a Super Bowl.

Why can’t we get analysis like this in the Boston sports media?

Yahtzee
    Participant

The Red Sox have 64 games left. If they go .500, they’ll reach 100 wins. If they go 38-26 in the second half of the season (.594 winning percentage, they were at .694 in the first half,) they’ll set the franchise record for wins in a season. On the negative side, the team has a .002 likeability percentage.

And are not built for the postseason so are doomed to fail there so temper that positive energy.

Participant

Why does Jon Lester feel the need to validate these aholes?

jforb
    Participant

Revis officially dun

Suzy
    Participant

The Rams are mortgaging the 2020 team for a big splash in the next two years. Maybe they make the Super Bowl or maybe they get punked in the 1st round. Either way they are going to suck all the media attention away for the Chargers for the next 24 months and honestly that is probably the whole point. Make the Chargers an after thought in the eyes of the Southern California public for the next few years and it will take the Bolts years, if not decades to recover unless they can somehow become the Juggernaut they have never been able to become before. The Rans are going for a Giants/Jets dynamic and that is probably more important to ownership in the long run than actually winning a Super Bowl.

Why can’t we get analysis like this in the Boston sports media?

Right?

So as I was driving back from Delaware, I switched on the Yankees pre-game and interview with the manager & all that as I passed through NY. It was kind of fun to hear their stuff. Anyhow, I also caught Francesa and while he takes a lot of shit here and elsewhere (deservedly so), THE MAN TALKS SPORTS. He can actually name non-Mets & Yankees and held somewhat detailed and interesting discussions (to me anyhow) with callers regarding possible trades before the deadline, etc. Yeah he had his share of goofy callers but it was all about sports.

Just made it more glaringly obvious how pathetic and disgraceful the “sports talk” is around here (when there even is any–Kirk & Callahole have given up any pretense to having any knowledge or interest in sports at all, local or otherwise).

Can’t even imagine what people think who are subjected to the cesspool of nonsense around here for the first time. It’s embarrassing.

Lebron
    Participant

I love seeing Jon Heyman look like the asshole that he is.  First he tweets that Hader guy is his favorite all star, he fist bumped me!  Hours later tweets from the Hader guy surface from 7 or so years ago about how he hates gays and loves whitey.  Heyman gets all crabby when tweets come back to him about it – I had no way of knowing! – then he goes full retard with the classic hey at least he stood in front of the media and addressed it, like it’s some badge of honor.

Suzy
    Participant

My post just disappeared.

Recap: Agree Lebron’s analysis is far better than anything we get from the alleged sports media around here; NY sports radio (including Francesa) is so far superior to Boston’s it’s embarrassing.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Marcus Smarts agent is named Happy Walters?  Maybe I’m jaded, but I’m not trusting 40-50 million bucks to a Happy.

Humphrey
    Participant

Is Sullivan still there or is it the new guy who apparently doesn’t have the balls to say “hey, this has been done, write about something else this week”?

At least Shank could have written the same thing in a different week than the aforementioned Gasper piece…  :wall:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Bob Kraft can’t have that much time left on this earth and between the Patriots and playing a cuckold to his girlfriend why bother with this non-sense?

https://www.soccerex.com/insight/articles/2018/new-england-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-linked-to-sevilla-takeover?

He really must want to impress the other owners at the next set of league meetings. Probably felt left out when he wasn’t seated at the ‘Rich ass holes that also own a European soccer team’ table.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

My post just disappeared. Recap: Agree Lebron’s analysis is far better than anything we get from the alleged sports media around here; NY sports radio (including Francesa) is so far superior to Boston’s it’s embarrassing.

Our incumbent sports columnists — CHB, Kid Gas and Buck — are too busy (read: TOO LAZY) trying to out-contrarian each other to land those regional/national talking head gigs to do any actual sports analysis.  (As if any sentient creature couldn’t figure out that the Red Sox have won one postseason game since the 2013 world championship, etc.)

The new Globe columnist and NYC import, Tara Sullivan, is still learning her way around, it seems. You can tell because she hasn’t gone full-contrarian mode yet; but being around those anjerks, it’s only a matter of time.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

The buildings housing The Tam, Mary Ann’s, and The Beacon Hill Pub were all sold to the same group. There go some great dive bars. No word on Sully’s or Killroy’s.

Link.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Participant

Don’t know where the bot dug this one up but it’s a beauty.

@BestofBsmw

Robert Mitchum and the Friends of Eddie Coyle cast with mobster Howie Winter. Winter kissing Alex Rocco (actor/minor hood).

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar