Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/29/2019 – 8/4/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 186 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  02062 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

3rd pic the guy second from the left looks like he pissed his pants.

Lime green pants. You know you have more money than you could ever spend when you have a pair of those.

Lot of diversity in that group.  A white guy, a white woman, a different kind of white guy….and is that Pharma Bro with the beard?

And that pants pisser used to be a muckety muck at Fidelity.

Every guy one hand in pocket, one hand holding drink; every woman with hands clasped or holding their arms. Like Zip noted above, Doug Kenney would have a fucking field day with these preening assholes.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

3rd pic the guy second from the left looks like he pissed his pants.

Lime green pants. You know you have more money than you could ever spend when you have a pair of those.

Lot of diversity in that group. A white guy, a white woman, a different kind of white guy….and is that Pharma Bro with the beard?

Does Micks and Pricks have a diversity problem? Of course it does.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Every guy one hand in pocket, one hand holding drink; every woman with hands clasped or holding their arms. Like Zip noted above, Doug Kenney would have a fucking field day with these preening assholes.

The Winklevoss twins front and center with matching white pants looking ready to rape is a nice touch.  Jesus what a bunch of god damn assholes.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

It occurs to me that Doug Kenney was one of them.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t imagine dressing like that for any reason.  Embarrassing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Looks less like him when zooming in, but what’s Pete Carroll doing on the right?

Coma
    Participant

How does that phrase go? Love something as much as the Boston media loves Bill Parcells?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Clearly you want to be the bartender at Micks and Pricks right?  Good tips, and what a 75% chance of hooking up with one of these women?

Among the innumerable things wrong with Fatty McButterpants is that he’s just a shitty, shitty writer. This is his goddamned lede for chrissakes:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Very impressed with Cam Newton on Sunday. Very impressed. Impressed with his real talk with the hard-core fans during training-camp practice breaks in the end zone near the woods on the Wofford College practice field. Impressed with a couple of 35ish-yard completions (one with a little mustard to darting wideout Curtis Samuel), in his third real football practice since his January rotator-cuff cleanout arthroscopy. Impressed that his mechanics and form look more precise and practiced. And impressed that, at age 30 and with a warning shot (the surgery) about his mortality fresh in his mind, he’s moving to the next phase of what still could be a dominant run for him.

None of his opening six sentences possess your standard subject-verb sentence structure. Sure, nowadays conversational English is acceptable in journalism, so some of the old Strunk and White rules are no longer followed. But Fatty does it with every single sentence in his lede paragraph.

This might just be my own particular pet peeve, but I think it displays a certain form of laziness and even arrogance that the most ubiquitous pro football writer in America can’t be bothered with forming a sentence correctly, rather than this fragmented, stream-of-consciousness crap.

His column is littered with it:

Sunday, mid-practice, Newton tossing with a ballboy, keeping his arm warm.

Windup, exact overhand throw, follow-through. Serious business.

Borderline sullen.

So … two season-ending injuries in three seasons.

He wants a small edge. A tiny edge.

Pass game, run game, all those types of things.

Good for the franchise too.

That is tough. Tough.

Big. Todd Gurley, Dante Fowler Jr., Derwin James, Tyrod Taylor among the active players. Lance Alworth and Maxie Baughan among retirees. Then … Tom Brady.

Interesting read.

So touching, so important.

Not often that the best sentence of a story is the last one.

f. Just brilliant.

I could see that play a third time. A fourth.

Like I said, the Strunk and White rules are history. You could take a fine-toothed comb to any writer’s work and find examples where they use sentence fragments as sentences, start sentences with articles, use one-word sentences, etc. But these all are predominant in Fatty’s style (not to mention his incorrect use of ellipses, which also marks laziness); he does this shit for emphasis.

I think he truly believes it’s good, effective, compelling writing. It’s not.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Is that English?

jforb
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

How does that phrase go? Love something as much as the Boston media loves Bill Parcells?

Or the ’67 Red Sox.  I never understand that battlecry and how it ‘changed everything!’  They didn’t win, and then didn’t make the post season for another 8 years, then another 11 years after that.  Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say from a franchise history perspective that the ’04 team ‘changed everything’ and 3 additional teams have won championships since?  Weirdo baby boomers.

The media loves Parcells because he played them perfectly.  Act like a red ass then treat a couple of guys like they’re your buddy in on the jokes and they’ll write about you glowingly forever.

chicowalker
    Participant

Anybody punting pats tickets let me know.  Hoping for 9/22 vs the Jets.

Lebron
    Participant

And of course his renewed love affair with Cam Newton has everything to do with Newton finally talking to him.  He’s so fucking transparent.

Suzy
    Participant

Or the ’67 Red Sox. I never understand that battlecry and how it ‘changed everything!’ They didn’t win, and then didn’t make the post season for another 8 years, then another 11 years after that. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say from a franchise history perspective that the ’04 team ‘changed everything’ and 3 additional teams have won championships since? Weirdo baby boomers.

The media loves Parcells because he played them perfectly. Act like a red ass then treat a couple of guys like they’re your buddy in on the jokes and they’ll write about you glowingly forever.

You weren’t there, Lebron. Obviously./HighPants

He’s as insufferable in his own way as his fellow Globe asswipe Shank.

And spot-on regarding Parcells. They hate Bill and love the cunt who deserted the team DURING THE SUPERBOWL, that’s all anyone needs to know about them.

The media loves Parcells because he played them perfectly. Act like a red ass then treat a couple of guys like they’re your buddy in on the jokes and they’ll write about you glowingly forever.

I think the fact he was blood brothers with the sainted Will plays into that as well. They’ve accepted Will’s prejudiced version of the breakup story as gospel.

Suzy
    Participant

Among the innumerable things wrong with Fatty McButterpants is that he’s just a shitty, shitty writer. This is his goddamned lede for chrissakes:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Very impressed with Cam Newton on Sunday. Very impressed. Impressed with his real talk with the hard-core fans during training-camp practice breaks in the end zone near the woods on the Wofford College practice field. Impressed with a couple of 35ish-yard completions (one with a little mustard to darting wideout Curtis Samuel), in his third real football practice since his January rotator-cuff cleanout arthroscopy. Impressed that his mechanics and form look more precise and practiced. And impressed that, at age 30 and with a warning shot (the surgery) about his mortality fresh in his mind, he’s moving to the next phase of what still could be a dominant run for him.

None of his opening six sentences possess your standard subject-verb sentence structure. Sure, nowadays conversational English is acceptable in journalism, so some of the old Strunk and White rules are no longer followed. But Fatty does it with every single sentence in his lede paragraph.

This might just be my own particular pet peeve, but I think it displays a certain form of laziness and even arrogance that the most ubiquitous pro football writer in America can’t be bothered with forming a sentence correctly, rather than this fragmented, stream-of-consciousness crap.

His column is littered with it:

Sunday, mid-practice, Newton tossing with a ballboy, keeping his arm warm.

Windup, exact overhand throw, follow-through. Serious business.

Borderline sullen.

So … two season-ending injuries in three seasons.

He wants a small edge. A tiny edge.

Pass game, run game, all those types of things.

Good for the franchise too.

That is tough. Tough.

Big. Todd Gurley, Dante Fowler Jr., Derwin James, Tyrod Taylor among the active players. Lance Alworth and Maxie Baughan among retirees. Then … Tom Brady.

Interesting read.

So touching, so important.

Not often that the best sentence of a story is the last one.

f. Just brilliant.

I could see that play a third time. A fourth.

Like I said, the Strunk and White rules are history. You could take a fine-toothed comb to any writer’s work and find examples where they use sentence fragments as sentences, start sentences with articles, use one-word sentences, etc. But these all are predominant in Fatty’s style (not to mention his incorrect use of ellipses, which also marks laziness); he does this shit for emphasis.

I think he truly believes it’s good, effective, compelling writing. It’s not.

He’s a completely incompetent writer.

And WGAF what impresses you, douche. Again, it’s all about his fat, lazy self.

Lebron
    Participant

I think the fact he was blood brothers with the sainted Will plays into that as well. They’ve accepted Will’s prejudiced version of the breakup story as gospel.

Pete as well.  I think Pete was the Giants beat guy during Parcells tenure there.  At least from a general perspective not specifically his departure from the Patriots.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

They had the same AGENT, Bob Fraley.* I assume Fraley is the same guy who made Willie a rich man by peddling his services to CBS and The NFL Today in the 1980s. Fraley is certainly the guy who played footsie with Leon Hess while Parcells “prepared” for SB 31. Meanwhile, I find it hard to imagine Parcells delivering a heartfelt speech like this one from Belichick about Rodney yesterday:

*Died in weird Payne Stewart jet crash in 1999.

NASCL
    Participant

Great job by a relaxed Belichick.

Too bad that fat, needy, finger-wagging SJW has too much pull in the HoF voting room and would want Belichick to bow to him before advancing Harrison’s candidacy.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Didn’t Parcells say he wish he handled things differently in The Two Bills doc?  Ryan had some snide remark like ‘Mr. Kraft thought he knew more about football than Parcells.’  Parcells always went with I was hired by a different owner and the new owner wanted to do things differently. I never got the impression that Kraft thought he knew more about football than Parcells or ever said anything publicly like that like what Jerry Jones did with Jimmy Johnson.  In fact he publicly stated that Parcells was the best coach when they were handed the Hunt trophy.  Kraft definitely wanted to run the football business differently, namely he wanted a separation of power between the coach and GM and Parcells wanted more say with the roster if not absolute say.  Kraft didn’t want to give him that and was fine with shortening the contract.  Heck I’d say Kraft doesn’t get enough credit for those decisions.  90% of owners would have just given Parcells whatever he wanted.

Does anyone know who Parcells would have taken instead of Terry Glenn in ’96?  He certainly didn’t want Glenn and that’s when it seemed like it all started.

jforb
    Participant

Times article says Duane Clemons or Cedric Jones, patsfans has Tony Brackens instead of Jones.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Word Press won’t let me post the link but there’s a cover story on washingtonpost.com on dopey Goodell and his treatment of Kraft.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar