Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/29/2019 – 8/4/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 186 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  02062 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 187 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

Was hoping Uppy Bell was GM during that time – unfortunately he was from 1971-1972 with a distinguished record.

And he wants to question how Robert and Bill go about their business? :lol:

Year Tm Lg Job Title W L T W-L% W plyf L plyf Playoff Result
    1971 New England Patriots NFL General Manager 6 8 0 .429 0 0
    1972 New England Patriots NFL General Manager 3 11 0 .214 0 0
    Total 2 Years 9 19 0 0 0
    New England Patriots 1971-1972 9 19 0 0 0

I’d like to think his failure was because he refused to sign my father after he walked in off the street and demanded a tryout :lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

This has zero to do with anything going on now, but I was doing a site search and came upon Beaker’s lyrics submission when we put SMY’s name to Jose Feliciano’s Xmas song:

Shalise Manza Young
    Shalise Manza Young
    Shalise Manza Young
    Went to the baño
    What have they done?

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas
    It’s just a shame when somebody pisses
    On the seat where the chica sits-es
    And then the crust from the Pizza Huuuuut

:lol:

Somehow that came up in my search results when I was looking for where Ryan wrote a column saying he hated football.

I’m still looking for that specific Ryan column. I did find this recent one – https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/21/barbaric-nature-football-troubling/DaBl2jq47uMoz53lQbJBsI/story.html – in which he calls the sport “barbaric”. But I could have sworn there was something years or even decades earlier where Ryan acknowledged a hatred for the game. Anybody remember?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

I gave a listen to the Hillman thing this morning on my way to drop off the kids at camp.    My nine year old said “why are you listening to boring people talking to each other about nothing?”   Pretty good summary, I would say.

Seriously, the lack of energy on that show makes it seem like they know they are walking the green mile toward the chair.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Mayfield not afraid to confront Browns’ top WRs

“I’m not going to be a jackass. I’m gonna talk through it,” he said. “I’m gonna harp on it, then I’m going to talk to them. And like I said, we need to be on the same page.”

Guy’s been in the league one year and loves to let everyone know he’s going to tell you what’s what.  And he’s going to harp on it.  That won’t get annoying right quick.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

This Jeffrey Epstein seems like a sane fella.

Lefty

Sort of has a Bond Villain thing going on.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

This has zero to do with anything going on now, but I was doing a site search and came upon Beaker’s lyrics submission when we put SMY’s name to Jose Feliciano’s Xmas song:

Shalise Manza Young
    Shalise Manza Young
    Shalise Manza Young
    Went to the baño
    What have they done?

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas
    It’s just a shame when somebody pisses
    On the seat where the chica sits-es
    And then the crust from the Pizza Huuuuut

:lol:

Somehow that came up in my search results when I was looking for where Ryan wrote a column saying he hated football.

I’m still looking for that specific Ryan column. I did find this recent one – https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/21/barbaric-nature-football-troubling/DaBl2jq47uMoz53lQbJBsI/story.html – in which he calls the sport “barbaric”. But I could have sworn there was something years or even decades earlier where Ryan acknowledged a hatred for the game. Anybody remember?

Beaker making sure to use the tilde over the n in ‘baño’ is why he’s one of the best in the business. :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

1 user thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Plus the rapiness of early Bond.

Participant

Plus the rapiness of early Bond.

For the creepiness factor add these 2 

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I feel like most of the Wynt & Kidd creepiness is from Bruce Glover.  Putter Smith takes a whole lot of gay shrapnel there.

chicowalker
    Participant

Was Hillman moved to WEEI against his will? Are WAAF and EEI owned by the same company? I don’t get why they’d even bother, he seemed to have a comfortable niche carved out where he was

Lebron
    Participant

Paul Williams-Pat McCormick ruled the ’70s creepiness.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Paul Williams-Pat McCormick ruled the ’70s creepiness.

The stories of McCormick’s shenanigans are legendary, and include sending his friends on a helicopter ride with a hooker and a tuna fish sandwich.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

From an Arnie Kogan blog post about McCormick (i can’t get links to work)

Pat and I wrote some funny sketches for the show and then went on to team up for other variety, sitcom, and late night projects. We became close friends. He was at my house in Encino a lot. He’d often bring a bundle of clothes and my wife Sue would do his laundry. Pat didn’t realize it, nor did he much care, but there always seemed to be a large assortment of schmutz on his clothes. Lots of crumbs, ketchup and mustard. His shirts looked like a tablecloth at Denny’s after a busy holiday breakfast. And there was always a “mystery stain.” We didn’t know what it was or where he got it. It could have been gravy; it could have been diesel fuel. We didn’t know. We didn’t ask.

In 1974, Pat streaked The Tonight Show. The studio audience expected an “Aunt Blabby” sketch, maybe an “Art Fern.” They got a 300-pound guy with a walrus mustache going commando. The Harvard track star’s most famous race was not at Harvard Stadium but sprinting stark naked across Studio One at NBC Burbank.

Carson later said that McCormick was arrested, but released for lack of evidence.

There were ten of us at a long table. Friends of Pat’s along with wives and female companions. We knew each other. The only new face was a young, attractive lady friend of one of the guys. Pat entered the restaurant dressed as a priest. We said hello to Pat and continued the conversation. We weren’t startled. We had seen this kind of thing before—once at a French restaurant he came dressed as a giant snail.

Pat sat down and immediately did an assortment of un-Priest-like things. He asked a small waitress to “climb him.” He held up a tiny paper cup that was filled with a creamy yellow substance like tarter sauce and said, “All that’s left of the Errol Flynn estate.” Finally, he turned to the new girl and said, “My dear, a blessing on your vagina.” She turned to her date: “Is he really a priest?”

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I still love that Putter Smith got cast in that movie with no acting experience because director Guy Hamilton liked jazz.

Lebron
    Participant

Wife wants to see the Stones next week.  I just can’t drop a couple of bills a seat or whatever to watch 80 year olds on a jumbotron.  Although I’ll admit they actually sound pretty decent on the clips I’ve seen.  But they look fucking terrible.

chicowalker
    Participant

I say this as someone who is going to the Bosstones next week- don’t do it.  At least they are only in their 50s :lol:

part of me will always regret I didn’t see the Stones, Dylan, etc when I had the chance, but that’s more than counterbalanced by seeing a bunch of old ass men playing rock star

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Wife wants to see the Stones next week. I just can’t drop a couple of bills a seat or whatever to watch 80 year olds on a jumbotron. Although I’ll admit they actually sound pretty decent on the clips I’ve seen. But they look fucking terrible.

Mick’s strut looks like an old man pushing his way to the frozen yogurt machine.

I’ll say this: whoever is working Charlie Watts’ corpse a la Weekend at Bernie’s is doing pretty well.

GusChiggins
    Participant

My old man asked me if I wanted to see The Stones. I told him no thanks. Maybe if they were playing at a smaller venue but a football stadium? I just can’t. Too barbaric.

My dad did pay extra good money for choice seats to see Dylan last year and was really disappointed. Although he’s seen him probably ten times but I wonder if that will be the last time.

Lebron
    Participant

A guy can’t even take a piss on a plane anymore

Thorbjorn Olesen was arrested at London’s Heathrow Airport on Monday “on suspicion of sexual assault,” according to The Sun.

Olesen and fellow golfer Ian Poulter were flying to London after participating in the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational in Memphis. Olesen also reportedly urinated in the aisle during the flight before being arrested once his plane touched down in London.

jforb
    Participant

Mile High, screw that. Although I do wonder what the collectible market would be for a ticket from the show where one of them keeled over, odds have to be going up on that.

Lebron
    Participant

Sometimes I listen to Eddie Trunk’s show on Sirius and his callers sound insane with the amount of money they plunk down for concerts.  Some guy was talking about dropping like 700 to see Kiss.  What the fuck.  That’s ludicrous.

I saw them in ’89 and they were fine but they were even old then.  Living Colour and Guns and Roses were the openers at the LA Coliseum and I was more interested in Living Colour than anything.   I’ve passed on them a number of times since.  My wife just up out of the blue mentioned it yesterday.  They play next Saturday night, so just go ahead and make that happen.  I’ll be ready to go at 4, don’t forget to get a babysitter too and oh maybe dinner/drinks before.

Lebron
    Participant

All I can think about with the Bosstones is Dicky Barrett screaming Hometown Throwdown!  I liked “Where Did You Go?” when it was released and for like 5 minutes after that.

Lebron
    Participant

Mile High, screw that. Although I do wonder what the collectible market would be for a ticket from the show where one of them keeled over, odds have to be going up on that.

Yeah, that’s what I told her too.  Buddy of mine got suckered into Garth Brooks a couple months ago, told my wife yeah it was great I sat in a seat and looked at a jumbotron because at 3 bills a seat the closest I could get was in the 5th deck.

Keith looks horrific.  Mick can still move around but Keith, jeezus man.

Feejis
    Participant

Harley Race won’t be down to torture Ric Flair anymore.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar