Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/29/2019 – 8/4/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

This topic contains 186 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  02062 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Over/under on number of words Fatty devotes to his buddy “Donnie Brasco” in tomorrow’s column?

The barista at the Starbucks across from my Brooklyn home said, “Who?”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

He was working here for the pats for a while. Jonathan use the slow acting ricin for his deflate gate revenge?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

With Brady’s extension announced today, it occurred to me that Belichick, health permitting, might want to coach to at least 2022. That would be 23 years, matching Noll’s with the Steelers. And he turns 70 in April 2022.

Here’s where I’m the guy who again obsessively mentions chasing Shula’s 347 wins.

It’s a sickness, but I feel I need to do it.  :lol:

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Jonathan use the slow acting ricin for his deflate gate revenge?

God help me for laughing at this.  :lol::lol::lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Why wouldn’t BB Coach until he was 70 or maybe longer. He’s in good shape and he loves it. He’s not pulling a Gruden and sleeping on the couch and burning out.

Coma
    Participant

Over/under on number of words Fatty devotes to his buddy “Donnie Brasco” in tomorrow’s column?

And here I was thinking about PK’s “bullet points” on the recent mass shootings.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Can the Sox ruin a summer if they delivered a World Series championship a few months ago?

Lebron
    Participant

56, wife and 2 kids although both adults.  Dying in a hotel is pretty shitty, dying on work travel is extra shitty.

Early in his run at SI.com, I was talking to him about web traffic for my Monday Morning Quarterback column. I told him it was crushing everything on the site in whatever season it was. Then he started talking about his column, and some of his frustrations with how it was being treated on the site. I blurted out something incredibly stupid and unfeeling about him having to understand that SI had to spend resources to promote mine, and …

“HEY! You’re not the only sportswriter in the world! Can you be any more unaware of how you sound!”

He hung up. I woke up.

This might be the most unintentionally revealing thing Fatty’s ever written. He actually heard and absorbed a friend and colleague telling him how fucking self-absorbed and self-unaware he is, then claims he learned the lesson that he so obviously never learned.

His entire tribute to Banks is about how so very hard Banks’ death is for Peter. Other than a brief aside on a Goodell piece Banks wrote for MMQB (“Look at the gig I got for Don!”), there’s absolutely nothing on Banks the man, or his work. What were his notable stories? His big scoops? His signature columns? His groundbreaking reporting? I doubt Pete knows.

His obit for Banks, included in the column, is this facile exercise of “Then Don did this, then this, then went to this paper, and then that one.” Did he truly know nothing about this man whom he called the closest of friends, a man whose death he says hits him harder than that of his brothers?

Only Fatty could take a guy saying, “Jesus, Peter, stop making everything about yourself!” and make it about himself.

You could read the whole piece as his own obituary, the story of a man who blithely flits about through life, disconnected and unaffected by the people around him, even those he claims he holds most dear.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Fatty apparently has a long memory for things he’s done and people he’s met, but his moral and ethical memory is that of a goldfish. Seven seconds. He only cares enough to say he’s done wrong or was contrite as a result of someone slamming him when he can say so publicly, and make you think he’s really introspective about his own behavior when called out.

“I learned something really important that day…”

I,I,I.

Oh, fuck off.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I woke up?

Participant

Does bringing 2 female interns to Brett Favre’s house seem a little dicey based on Brett’s selfie history?

Viewing 12 posts - 176 through 187 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar