Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/8/2019-7/14/2019 All Star Break Thread

This topic contains 166 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 day, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 167 total)
  • Author

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Ross Perot was alive as recently as yesterday?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Ross Perot was alive as recently as yesterday?

I thought I heard a “giant sucking sound”* yesterday but figured it came from Florham Park. :smile:

*Perot, 1992

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Thanks Ross.  Congrats on a job…done.

Lebron
    Participant

Wonder what would have happened if he didn’t do the drop out/drop back in for the ’92 election.

Lebron
    Participant

Getting his employees out of Iran was pretty good.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Or is it? https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-07-09-9203020097-story.html

GusChiggins
    Participant

Forgot about Fatty’s column yesterday. Which is apropos, as guest Chris Ballard’s column is entirely forgettable.

One of the things I do on Sundays to press pause and appreciate the journey is to take a walk around the field. I don’t take a single day for granted in this league; we only get 16 competition days. I like to take it all in, from the noises, the smells—especially playing on grass in an outdoor stadium—and the freshness of a new day and new hope.

Yawn. Kind of like an even more vanilla Mike Lombardi.

Chris, with baseball, there are 162 games to smell that grass.

What’s a executive for a team doing a guest column for a ‘major’ national football writer? No conflict of interest there. I’m fact, I’m sure this will only help King in his never-ending search for the truth.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

That’s some mighty fine mixing of tenses Coach

Give me the MLB All-Star Game and inject it into my veins. I’ve always loved everything about it since I was a kid. It used to be even more special before interleague play, but I still get geeked up to watching player introductions and the first couple trip through the starters. Then I would wait to see when Mike Greenwell or Bruce Hurst, etc. would get into the game

Lebron
    Participant

Or is it? https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-07-09-9203020097-story.html

I don’t doubt there’s embellishment but he still made the effort to get them out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Re: Perot being still alive until today.

For that matter, what about this guy? As far as his career goes the last decade or so, “it’s just sad”.

Lebron
    Participant

All Star Game.  Not sure I’ve watched an All Star Game since maybe ’81 when it was the first game after the strike.  I remember Fred Lynn hitting a grand slam when he was with the Angels so that must have been ’82?  Fred Lynn always showed up at the All Star game, I can remember 3 home runs – ’79 at the Kingdome, ’80 I’m guessing at Dodger Stadium, and the grand slam which I think was at Comiskey Park.  That ’79 game was a good one, maybe one of the better ones overall.   I didn’t even see the Pedro performance in ’99.  I was like Vincent Vega and didn’t own a tv.

Lebron
    Participant

It was the ’83 ASG when Lynn hit the grand slam, still the only one in ASG history.

Was looking at the 1980 ASG, game time was 2:33 :wub:

Yahtzee
    Participant

I enjoy seeing Tito and Cora chatting it up.

And Tito cheering for his guy.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 15 hours ago by  Yahtzee.
    3 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I enjoy seeing Tito and Cora chatting it up.

And Tito cheering for his guy.

Cores….great kid….I mean great.  Really knows where to score Perc 80s on the DL.  Did I just say that out loud?

Participant

“We need our players to be more marketable.” Rob Manfred

Not sure if having Joe Buck give them a tongue bath while everyone’s mic’d up is the way to go.

Cue the band for the CC mound visit in the 9th.  Only in baseball.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I haven’t watched an all star game since Fenway in 99 and that was just for Pedro. I might tune in if they played wiffle ball but otherwise it’s a hard pass like all every other all stare game out there.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

I have to agree with the “ball is juiced” theory. Some of the contact that results in a dinger doesn’t pass the sound test. The other thing is, it seems like it’s a hell of a lot easier to his a homer to the opposite field than it used to be.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Was it ’87 when the assumption was the ball is juiced?  I remember Boggs hit something like 24 home runs, said he could always hit more home runs if he wanted but his average would drop.  Seems to be what you’re hearing today as well, namely I’d rather hit home runs than hit .350.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that was 24 Miller Lites, and he said he could’ve drank more on a flight if Gary Allenson wasn’t always stealing them out of his cooler. Simpler times.

Feejis
    Participant

Was it ’87 when the assumption was the ball is juiced? I remember Boggs hit something like 24 home runs, said he could always hit more home runs if he wanted but his average would drop. Seems to be what you’re hearing today as well, namely I’d rather hit home runs than hit .350.

Of course he hit .363/.461/.588 the year he hit 24 homers.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Was it ’87 when the assumption was the ball is juiced? I remember Boggs hit something like 24 home runs, said he could always hit more home runs if he wanted but his average would drop. Seems to be what you’re hearing today as well, namely I’d rather hit home runs than hit .350.

Of course he hit .363/.461/.588 the year he hit 24 homers.

Yeah and Brady Anderson hit 50.  Definitely some funny bidness going on.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

All I want out of an ASG is George Brett talking about shitting his pants.

Lebron
    Participant

I remember Howard Johnson was another guy went from hitting 10 or so a year to 32, but he stayed in that range for a few years after that.

Boggs’s numbers through ’88 were crazy.  Forgot how many doubles he hit.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Yabusele is getting waived.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I think we’ve all had enough of Danny’s Undertall But Overfat Big Men 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar