Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/8/2019-7/14/2019 All Star Break Thread

This topic contains 166 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 day, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 167 total)
  • Author

Feejis
    Participant

Was it ’87 when the assumption was the ball is juiced? I remember Boggs hit something like 24 home runs, said he could always hit more home runs if he wanted but his average would drop. Seems to be what you’re hearing today as well, namely I’d rather hit home runs than hit .350.

Of course he hit .363/.461/.588 the year he hit 24 homers.

Yeah and Brady Anderson hit 50. Definitely some funny bidness going on.

Anderson was 10 years later

1 user thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Free up a spot for Tacko?

chicowalker
    Participant

Boggs finished 9th :ohmy: in MVP voting that year despite leading the league in avg, obp, ops

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Free up a spot for Tacko?

I just read somewhere that Tremaine Waters may get the spot (they need PGs), which would open a 2 way contract spot for Fall.  Which is probably ideal, he needs G league playing time.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Was it ’87 when the assumption was the ball is juiced? I remember Boggs hit something like 24 home runs, said he could always hit more home runs if he wanted but his average would drop. Seems to be what you’re hearing today as well, namely I’d rather hit home runs than hit .350.

Of course he hit .363/.461/.588 the year he hit 24 homers.

Yeah and Brady Anderson hit 50. Definitely some funny bidness going on.

Anderson was 10 years later

Damn

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Boggs finished 9th :ohmy:in MVP voting that year despite leading the league in avg, obp, ops

That was some bizarre Sox team in 1987 coming off the devastation of the Games 6-7 losses in the World Series. They finish six games under .500 and 20 games behind the Tigers, and jettison guys like Baylor, Buckner and Henderson during the year. On the other hand, they bring up Burks, Horn and Benzinger, and give Greenwell more ABs.  Not surprised Boggs didn’t get into the Top 3, but consider that this guy, the Karate Kid of 1985 (vs. Bruce Kison) won the AL MVP …

This (from 1993) is my favorite George Bell moment … and my favorite Mo Vaughn moment, too:

Gotta love Hawk the Homer: “George fell down from the force of his punch, not from anything Mo Vaughn did.”     :lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

There’s a whole lot of suck from the Hobson Era Bosox in that clip: Scott Cooper, Earnest Riles, Bob Melvin, Jeff McNeeley … and even Gary Allenson. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

They started flat in ’88 too then canned McNamara around the All Star break.

Lot of guys coming and going, I remember Gorman referring to ‘bad apples’ in the clubhouse and when they signed a past his prime Andre Dawson it was for clubhouse leadership.  Hard times.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Didn’t Butch get some drugs sent to him via FedEx or something like that, ala Robert Parish or am I miss remembering?

Lebron
    Participant

Melvin has a great ‘oh shit nooooo!!!!!!’ look on his face chasing after Bell.

Feejis
    Participant

That 93 team was awful.

114 homers as a team.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Didn’t Butch get some drugs sent to him via FedEx or something like that, ala Robert Parish or am I miss remembering?

That happened when the Phillies gave him a pretty good job managing Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes Barre a couple of years after the Sox canned him.  He did come back to the Red Sox a few years after the cocaine bust and managed at Sarasota in the Florida State League, and also did some scouting for them.  He’s been managing in the independent leagues for almost 20 years and is still at it at age 68.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

And since plenty are asking, as of now there are no plans for Tacko Fall to claim the Celtics’ 15th roster spot. Plan is still for him to enter camp on his Exhibit 10 deal and proceed from there.

chicowalker
    Participant

Back me up on this- Hobson was Bagwell’s manager when Gorman traded him, I remember the quote being that Hobson’s face went “ashen” when he learned of the trade. Of course he may have had himself a night, given his proclivities

Suzy
    Participant

Boggs finished 9th :ohmy:<noscript>&amp;lt;img src=’https://i1.wp.com/bsmw.net/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/ohmy.gif?resize=20%2C20′ alt=’:ohmy:’ width=’20’ height=’20’ class=’wpml_ico’ data-recalc-dims=”1″ /&amp;gt;</noscript>in MVP voting that year despite leading the league in avg, obp, ops

That was some bizarre Sox team in 1987 coming off the devastation of the Games 6-7 losses in the World Series. They finish six games under .500 and 20 games behind the Tigers, and jettison guys like Baylor, Buckner and Henderson during the year. On the other hand, they bring up Burks, Horn and Benzinger, and give Greenwell more ABs. Not surprised Boggs didn’t get into the Top 3, but consider that this guy, the Karate Kid of 1985 (vs. Bruce Kison) won the AL MVP …

This (from 1993) is my favorite George Bell moment … and my favorite Mo Vaughn moment, to[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_YlPTsFqY?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&autohide=2&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&start=2&wmode=transparent%5D

Gotta love Hawk the Homer: “George fell down from the force of his punch, not from anything Mo Vaughn did.” :lol:<noscript>:lol:</noscript>

That’s awesome. :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

Hawk harrelson never played for the White Sox, and he was on the 67 team that CHANGED EVERYTHING.  How did he end up a White Sox broadcaster?

chicowalker
    Participant

but after being publicly critical of player personnel decisions made by Boston co-owner Haywood Sullivan, Harrelson was fired at the close of the 1981 season.[citation needed]

Christ almighty, did Haywood Sullivan ever not step on his dick?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Harrelson was White Sox GM at one point, was going to move Carlton Fisk to left field.

When I first started watching baseball it was Dick Stockton and Harrelson on the Red Sox games, then opening day ’79 Stockton is gone and they changed uniforms.  I had an epileptic fit.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole with Fred Lynn yesterday talking All Star games*, didn’t know that he was also one of those mailed his contract late guys which then resulted in his getting traded.  What a garbage haul.  Totally washed up Frank Tanana, totally washed up Joe Rudi, and Jim fucking Dorsey.  Lynn said he told the Red Sox he didn’t want to get traded and wanted to play his entire career in Boston as he loved hitting at Fenway.  God they were so fucking cheap.

* Lynn hit 4 home runs in All Star games, didn’t know he hit one in the ’76 game as well.

Lebron
    Participant

Also found out the uniform change in ’79 was due to moving away from pullover jerseys.  Didn’t know that.  I still like the ones from ’08-’13

BrianInLA
    Participant

It seems MLB is experimenting with a new rule where you can “Steal first base”. They’re going to test it in the Atlantic League. Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

Peter King, is that you?

Lebron
    Participant

Get rid of 8 or so teams, create 2 conferences, no more pitchers hitting for god’s sake, and cut the schedule to 100 games, maybe 120 max.  Start around mid May or June.  While you’re at it shrink the NBA by about 8 teams knock down to 60 games and start that one up right after the Super Bowl.  Get hockey going a bit earlier wrap it up around March, mid April at the latest.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Fell from the momentum of the swing. :lol: Straight the other direction

Traveling today, never seen so many women in sorority shirts as I did at Midway. I say women instead of girls because there wasn’t one under 50 :blink:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Melvin has a great ‘oh shit nooooo!!!!!!’ look on his face chasing after Bell.

Bob Melvin has never won a pennant or anything as a manager but at least he can take solace in being the late Nick Cafardo’s favorite MLB manager not named Bobby Valentine.  Oh, and it appears that the Fake Hall of Fame Writers’ Wing at Cooperstown — the one that “enshrined” CHB — is considering voting Nick in, kind of like how Roberto Clemente, one of the greatest players of all time, was voted into the real Hall of Fame right away after he died during that humanitarian mission to post-quake Nicaragua.

:dry:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Harrelson was White Sox GM at one point, was going to move Carlton Fisk to left field.

When I first started watching baseball it was Dick Stockton and Harrelson on the Red Sox games, then opening day ’79 Stockton is gone and they changed uniforms. I had an epileptic fit.

Harrelson was perhaps an even worse general manager than Haywood Sullivan was. And that’s saying something.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar