Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 7/13/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 68 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

nothing here

Kevin
    Participant

So Ordways show failed because Cohasset didn’t have the internet in 2014? :lol:

Participant

And, pushing 70, Glenn doesn’t need the money  :lol:   :smile:

Claude45
    Participant

So Ordways show failed because Cohasset didn’t have the internet in 2014? 😆

“i’m going to start an internet show from home, should I check my internet?” Nah, I’m sure your good.

The ego on guys like Ordway. They were lucky to be the only game in town for years. People listened and still listen because it was easy and they had limited choices. Once you put even the smallest of barriers in place, few will make the effort to find you simply because you’re not worth it.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Chris Curtis has come out as an alcoholic who had to be hospitalized because of it.

How many different people has Gerry driven to drink – Curtis, Dino, Kirk, Tanguay?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Don’t overlook the fact that he looked at one place for a studio, but it wouldn’t work because it had Comcast. Whatever. Fraudway has never been more appropriate.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Did anyone catch the Brandon Marshall thing on Kirk’s show? I wasn’t listening but saw some tweets about it.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Is Brandon off his meds again? Fortunately, he works for the Mara Family now, and their Pure Goodness will enable him to conquer his bipolar disorder without taking those nasty drugs.

InThisTown
    Participant

Did anyone catch the Brandon Marshall thing on Kirk’s show? I wasn’t listening but saw some tweets about it.

They asked him about some race comments he made and he said he was leaving and then they brought up his domestic violence and he really left.

Also, apparently that twink Reimer knew about Curtis’ situation and threatened to reveal info if he wasn’t let back on the air. That’s a real Iran-Iraq because Curtis is an inveterate cvnt on the show twitter account.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I heard it. They wanted to ask him about some comments he made apparently about Brady and other star white athletes getting better treatment than black athletes or some such thing. He didn’t want to get into a race discussion with them so ended the interview.

Participant

I heard it. They wanted to ask him about some comments he made apparently about Brady and other star white athletes getting better treatment than black athletes or some such thing. He didn’t want to get into a race discussion with them so ended the interview.

Spilling his coffee all over everything on the way out was a nice touch  :lol: to bad he didn’t choke slam either one of them.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Is Curtis the producer who quit the show and came back after Dennis left?

My agenda is truth.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Chris Curtis has come out as an alcoholic who had to be hospitalized because of it. How many different people has Gerry driven to drink – Curtis, Dino, Kirk, Tanguay?

I first read this as “Chet Curtis.”

:pk:

Feejis
    Participant

Is Curtis the producer who quit the show and came back after Dennis left?

Yep. 30 something rich kid (Rivers, BC) whose parents still pay for his apartment.

So much bullshit to absorb from that article: “385,000 listeners a month”; Ordway an Internet radio “pioneer” in 2014; “had we done xxx, it would’ve worked”; “at the end of the day, content is what’s going to drive anything. He had good content”; “‘You go get an advertiser, and we’ll split it 50/50”  :lol: ; plus Ordway and Sheppard’s self-delusions about their “talent”. If he weren’t such an asshole, you’d almost feel sorry for sad sack Sheppard, who’s completely oblivious to his abundant shortcomings and when he’s being taken for a ride (which will be his family’s cover story when they take him for that final trip to the vet).

We called it a decade ago: EEI was the only sports station in town at that wattage, riding the wave of very successful sports teams. It’s a wonder it took so long for somebody else with a real signal to realize they too could cash in on the Patriots and Red Sox.

Ordway’s continued conceit that it has anything to do with him is breathtaking. And to explain why he’s back in a chair at EEI, all you have to do is look at the losers they’ve brought in from outside Boston (Salk, Benz), or the schmoes that were vying for permanent spots there (Mut, Dickerson, etc.). The fact Tanguay keeps getting gigs at all is enough evidence the Boston sports radio talent pool isn’t much deeper than Sheppard’s gene pool. That Ordway’s a better option says very little.

Chief
    Participant

Our long national nightmare is over.  Tom and Giselle have been accepted into TCC.

Div
    Participant

(which will be his family’s cover story when they take him for that final trip to the vet).

:ohmy: :lol:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Div.

Coma
    Participant

sad sack Sheppard, who’s completely oblivious to his abundant shortcomings and when he’s being taken for a ride (which will be his family’s cover story when they take him for that final trip to the vet).

:lol:

(Div 2 minutes faster)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Coma.

NASCL
    Participant

And, pushing 70, Glenn doesn’t need the money 😆 🙂

I was thinking about his age the other day.  I’m an old fart yet I remember being a young teen and listening to him in the 70s on WITS.

He might be the rare radio personality that looks good for his age.

InThisTown
    Participant

Half-WITS

chicowalker
    Participant

Link to the ordway article?

Participant

Lebron
    Participant

Good sports radio talk to prep us for the Mike and the Mad Dog doc.  Love ’em or hate ’em they shaped people’s opinions!  Every sports talk show owes their existence to Mike and the Mad Dog!

All of BSMW’s clicks of that article will someday lead to a claim of 385,000 visitors/month.

Participant

InThisTown
    Participant

InThisTown
    Participant

Good sports radio talk to prep us for the Mike and the Mad Dog doc. Love ’em or hate ’em they shaped people’s opinions! Every sports talk show owes their existence to Mike and the Mad Dog!

I have no regard for Boston fans but the fact is that a good chunk of them actually hate Felger. New Yorkers definitely shit on Francesa but he’s more like “hahaha oh GRANDPA!” And that Francesacon bullshit. Mouthbreathing asses.

andrew
    Participant

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/oral-history-big-show-unfiltered-its-modest-beginnings-humble-end

I can’t believe that someone would bother to transcribe an oral history of a failed podcast. I clicked on that last night because I thought it would be about the Big Show. How much did Ordway pay Reimer out of his own pocket to get that published?

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/oral-history-big-show-unfiltered-its-modest-beginnings-humble-end

I can’t believe that someone would bother to transcribe an oral history of a failed podcast. I clicked on that last night because I thought it would be about the Big Show. How much did Ordway pay Reimer out of his own pocket to get that published?

He promised him a stipend, then only paid gas money.

“But Glen, I didn’t drive anywhere.”
    “Even better.”

Marty Nopointe
    Participant

That Big Show article needs Brian quotes
    Crapcast
    Some people just don’t know what they’re doing

So ‘oral history’ just means quote dump because the author is too lazy to write a coherent story

Lebron
    Participant

Those 30 for 30s mostly taught me I’m not interested in shit that doesn’t present something I didn’t know/wouldn’t have known (not to sound like crybaby Bill saying he didn’t watch it because “I lived it”).  It also needs to be interesting.  I bailed on the Celtics-Lakers marathon.  The narration killed it but it also didn’t cover any new ground, and we’ve been saturated with Celtics-Lakers remember when for quite a while now.  Give me something like the Defiant Ones where I’m learning shit and it’s interesting even though some of it is already covered ground (NWA ad nauseum over the last few years).

Participant

I bet he drank it in a refreshing manner…..

@bykevinclark Bruce Arians said on Sirius today that he had to get his stomach pumped twice when he was younger from drinking paint. That’s something.

Lebron
    Participant

I like huffing gas as much as the next guy, but drinking paint?  Does not compute.

According to Arians, he thought drinking paint would make him harder to tackle when he played football with the neighborhood kids.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Arians was also going on about how that loss to the Pats in week one ruined their season :smile: Still blames his kicker 10 months after the fact. Between him and Carson Palmer they have “zero point zero” chance of making it to the SuperBowl.  Hope Chandler likes those big paychecks better then playoff wins.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Tom Brady has led 10 game-winning drives in the playoffs, four more than any other quarterback in history and as many as John Elway and Dan Marino combined.

Brady has thrown 63 career postseason touchdowns, the most in history; Joe Montana is second with 45. Add Elway’s 27 playoff touchdowns to Troy Aikman’s 23, and you can still squeeze a Bob Griese, Joe Theismann, Jim Plunkett or Fran Tarkenton in (all have less than 13) and still wind up with fewer postseason touchdowns than Tom Brady.

Brady’s greatest clutch performance was his most recent. My colleagues and I typed a lot of “All Good Things Come to an End” headlines into our laptops during halftime of February’s Super Bowl, especially since Brady helped dig his own hole with a pick-six.

We should have known better. Brady also needed a late drive to beat the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. He battled Jake Delhomme tooth and nail through the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XXXVIII, prevailing on a last-second field-goal drive that defied the laws of time and space. The Seahawks led the Patriots, 24-14, in the fourth quarter of XLIX just three seasons ago; the Seahawks managed to turn Brady’s comeback into their own melodrama, but only because Brady comebacks seem so inevitable (and the Seahawks can be pretty melodramatic).

So Brady’s comeback from 28-3 in the last Super Bowl was just a slightly more extreme example of what he has always done. Brady’s Patriots may clobber weaker opponents in the first quarter to get to the big games. But when the big games arrive, no one is better at finding ways to win than Brady, except perhaps the guy who coaches him.

I could go on, but the only people arguing this selection are a half-dozen dudes in faded Elway jerseys and some cranks typing CHEATRIOTS on every comment thread they can find. Brady is historic, legendary in his own time, excellent in every element of football that maters and as close to an inarguable example of the ultimate “clutch quarterback” as we will ever see.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718337-nfl-nostalgia-ranking-historys-most-clutch-quarterbacks?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Major Intangibles
    Participant

He promised him a stipend, then only paid gas money. “But Glen, I didn’t drive anywhere.” “Even better.”

Never work for a short-armed man who only has Glennie Twenties in his pockets for you.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

InThisTown
    Participant

Which midday show is worse? I honestly can’t answer that question.

Kevin
    Participant

Howzie wants to kiss some guys ass?

NumberFour
    Participant

Twice! :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Looks like he’s added “honest” to his profile.  Always enjoy when people go out of their way to tell me that they’re “honest”

Participant

Shank Style.

“98.5 has a fat co-host and a washed up backup qb who once hurt someone stage diving…..”

“Eei has a fat co-host and washed up backup infielder who’s wife may or may not have plied her trade on the center stage at Zach’s for a living….”

Kevin
    Participant

Twice! 😆 😆 😆

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Glenn seems to have forgotten or never realized he was fired because he was a blowhard who talked over everybody. On the other hand, Bertrand is a smug prick who has never done anything yet knows everything. Tie.

My agenda is truth.

Feejis
    Participant

Twice! 😆 😆 😆

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

My father is an ass kisser!

Those 30 for 30s mostly taught me I’m not interested in shit that doesn’t present something I didn’t know/wouldn’t have known (not to sound like crybaby Bill saying he didn’t watch it because “I lived it”). It also needs to be interesting. I bailed on the Celtics-Lakers marathon. The narration killed it but it also didn’t cover any new ground, and we’ve been saturated with Celtics-Lakers remember when for quite a while now. Give me something like the Defiant Ones where I’m learning shit and it’s interesting even though some of it is already covered ground (NWA ad nauseum over the last few years).

I’m preconditioned to this sort of paranoia, but is it out of the realm of possibility that ESPN is prepping a 30-for-30 for Spygate’s 10th anniversary in September? When ESPN did its 90-anonymous-source hitpiece in September 2015, Van Natta said it opened the floodgates for more who wanted to anonymously get their shots in, and a second piece could be in the offing. Every Spygate thing ESPN does gets traffic; why wouldn’t they do a 30-for-30?

Lebron
    Participant

I didn’t know Conor McGregor’s suit from yesterday’s presser had a hidden message

I’m gonna need one of those in dark navy and one in charcoal grey…

chicowalker
    Participant

4th anniversary. Spending it at the hot club  :smile:   :blink:

Coma
    Participant

Those 30 for 30s mostly taught me I’m not interested in shit that doesn’t present something I didn’t know/wouldn’t have known (not to sound like crybaby Bill saying he didn’t watch it because “I lived it”). It also needs to be interesting. I bailed on the Celtics-Lakers marathon. The narration killed it but it also didn’t cover any new ground, and we’ve been saturated with Celtics-Lakers remember when for quite a while now. Give me something like the Defiant Ones where I’m learning shit and it’s interesting even though some of it is already covered ground (NWA ad nauseum over the last few years).

I’m preconditioned to this sort of paranoia, but is it out of the realm of possibility that ESPN is prepping a 30-for-30 for Spygate’s 10th anniversary in September? When ESPN did its 90-anonymous-source hitpiece in September 2015, Van Natta said it opened the floodgates for more who wanted to anonymously get their shots in, and a second piece could be in the offing. Every Spygate thing ESPN does gets traffic; why wouldn’t they do a 30-for-30?

Some things that may give ESPN pause:

– Bad publicity. The NFL may have figured out that regularly questioning the accomplishments of the greatest coach/QB/team combination in league history is bad for the NFL, in general. You never hear any plans for a Tim Donaghy 30 for 30.

– Repetition. What more can they offer beyond what is already out there? I’m sure there’s a healthy audience out there who would be willing to hear how spygate was very, very, very bad again, but that wouldn’t attract a casual viewer. It would be a visual version of the one-sided Wickersham/Van Atta piece. People ate that up, but is it enough people to justify a 30 for 30?

– A balanced story. If someone objectively told the story, it would damage the spygate myth. If they have Jimmy Johnson and Cowher saying this stuff was common and no big deal and then play a clip of Polian comparing it to child abuse, the spygate truthers are going to come off as crazy. If they include the signal stealing stuff involving Dungy from earlier this year, people are going to wonder why the league decided to blow up a minor issue and then did the same thing to the same team 8 years later.

LJSandwich
    Participant

It may have already been mentioned, but it was said on WEEI earlier this week that Michelle McPhee has left the country for fear of her life from gang members for her outing of Aaron Hernandez.

Lebron
    Participant

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar