Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 8/12/2019-8/18/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

The Yankees plan is to score more runs than their garbage pitching allows. Hasn’t worked for the Red Sox this year in the regular season, likely won’t work in the playoffs for the Yankees.

They’re overperforming expected W/L by 6 games. And I’m sure expected W/L is overstated since it’s based on run differential so the games against Baltimore inflate that quite a bit.

Lebron
    Participant

Welcome to college athletics where a kid can’t have a job or accept a meal but goddammit you better pay up for a booster club membership

Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns coach Billy Napier wants to see each of his players become dues-paying members of the school’s booster club, asking his team to spend a minimum of $50 to join.

Napier, a former assistant coach at Alabama who is now in his second season with Louisiana, said in a news conference Wednesday that the booster club memberships were “about gratitude” and a means to bond the players and school.

“That’s probably a little bit unheard of and a little bit unique, but I think this is a place where I think that would be appreciated,” Napier said. “I think it’s part of the type of program that we want to have.”

Napier said the memberships were “mandatory.” The school, however, issued a statement Friday correcting that language, suggesting they were simply “strongly encouraged.”

Gratitude.  The players need to show gratitude?  Fuck you, and I’m not even a pay the players guy.

Participant

So brave and tough. What a remarkable statement from an insecure child. And this guy is supposed to inspire and rally the troops. Fuck it, I’ll go somewhere else.

Wow.

Of course he’s a Peter King fave.

Lebron
    Participant

I watched an inning or two of the LLWS…the slow pace of play in MLB has apparently filtered down to this level. Ridiculous, especially given a runner can’t leave the base until the ball reaches the plate.

The coverage of that thing is absurd.  The softball one just wrapped up this week.  It’s mid August for God’s sake.

Coma
    Participant

When your 7-figure salary is fully guaranteed even in the face of gross incompetence (see Marvin Lewis) it’s easy for a NFL HC to be a bit cavalier about getting fired.

That, and knowing a TV job is waiting for you as soon as you leave the sideline.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Jesus, Dale, stop talking for 4 seconds.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Ben Volin couldn’t find Gordon, but the NFL apparently did. The cardiac care and apoplexy units in all the hospitals in metro Pittsburgh are jammed with patients.

:rollseyes:

Coma
    Participant

That’s great news. Of course, Gordon could be suspended again after week 1 or lead the team in receiving and win SB MVP or anything in between.

jforb
    Participant

Jesus, Dale, stop talking for 4 seconds.

jforb
    Participant

TV at the moment but anything with Zolak is even worse. How the hell does he not know the end zone extends infinitely out to the sides?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Dale is actually a sugar coated asshole in the way he talks about the Orioles.

Call the game, Flanders, and cut the lazy editorializing.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Jack Whitaker, TV voice of the NY Football Jints on CBS (with Gifford as his color man) in the late 1960s, won’t be down to sing the praises of Francis Tarkenton or Tucker Frederickson or … whoever.

He was 95. :blink:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Jack Whitaker, TV voice of the NY Football Jints on CBS (with Gifford as his color man) in the late 1960s, won’t be down to sing the praises of Francis Tarkenton or Tucker Frederickson or … whoever.

He was 95. :blink:

Jack was at Normandy. Hero. Godspeed.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Not to be a naysayer, but I’ve never heard anyone mentioned as a contributor at Normandy. He was there…didn’t do a lot. Shit himself and tried to play dead mostly. 

Yahtzee
    Participant

Not to be a naysayer, but I’ve never heard anyone mentioned as a contributor at Normandy. He was there…didn’t do a lot. Shit himself and tried to play dead mostly.

Who was the Scott Zolak of Normandy?

Lefty

Who was the Scott Zolak of Normandy?

Charles Degaulle

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

This is said with respect for a great man, but Churchill wanted to be the Bob Kraft of Normandy. The former First Lord of the Admiralty and descendant of the Duke of Marlborough wanted to board a ship and at least follow the troops ashore. His top aides (and perhaps Ike too) finally convinced him that it was not a good idea to put himself in harm’s way to such an extent with so much war left to fight.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

He was so shitfaced and geeking on pills that he actually did want to fight them on the beaches?? You learn something every day.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

This is said with respect for a great man, but Churchill wanted to be the Bob Kraft of Normandy. The former First Lord of the Admiralty and descendant of the Duke of Marlborough wanted to board a ship and at least follow the troops ashore. His top aides (and perhaps Ike too) finally convinced him that it was not a good idea to put himself in harm’s way to such an extent with so much war left to fight.

I think ultimately King George VI was asked to talk him out of it.

He’d deliberately go up on the roof at night during the Blitz, wearing a helmet. Guy was a glorious maniac.

Winston wasn’t letting Gerry on his island.

Lebron
    Participant

He’s the best

Mike Reiss

@MikeReiss

Smiling, sarcastic Bill Belichick this morning when asked a follow-up question on his Josh Gordon statement. Belichick doesn’t have anything to add.

“I think I covered it … is there another line of questioning or can the witness step down now?” he asks.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete is a fucking mental patient

I did consider urging the Raiders to just fire Brown.

The context is the usual Pete bullshit where he assumes the role of a person or team and then proceed to say what he would say or do.  Apparently when he does this, he has internal struggles as to what he would do if he were that person/team.  How full of yourself do you have to be to not only do this regularly but then share with the world what other options you considered?

Lebron
    Participant

Pete on his favorite camp interviews this year, one being Jonathan Abram of the Raiders

Abram on being a classic Raider, and praising Jack Tatum, was a keeper.

Yeah, praising Jack Tatum is a keeper.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Pete is a fucking mental patient

I did consider urging the Raiders to just fire Brown.

The context is the usual Pete bullshit where he assumes the role of a person or team and then proceed to say what he would say or do. Apparently when he does this, he has internal struggles as to what he would do if he were that person/team. How full of yourself do you have to be to not only do this regularly but then share with the world what other options you considered?

You know, I’ve sent wide receivers younger than you to the unemployment line. Didn’t want to do it — felt I OWED it to them. 

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar