Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 8;/26/2019 – 9/2 Lead up to and through Labor Day Weekend Discussion Thread

This topic contains 100 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author

BrianInLA
    Participant

How on earth was Luck 2nd favorite to win MVP? This is from pre-draft but come on.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Sammy Watkins. :lol: Come on.

Lebron
    Participant

Weirdo and wrong about literally everything Nick Wright was saying this is the most shocking retirement in NFL history.  I saw it come up on a ticker Saturday night was surprised but not shocked.  Wasn’t around for Jim Brown but was getting paid double his football salary for movies.  Shocking I’d go with Barry Sanders.  I think he faxed the announcement to a Tulsa newspaper.  And he was less than a thousand yards from Payton’s record.  Wasn’t injured or anything

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

None of my nieces/nephews had it, don’t think my cousins kids did either but who knows. I would assume all these kids wouldn’t seeing as they are the cord cutting generation.

2000-2010 then. Did they sell internet-only broadband packages back then?

Thought about that and for off campus housing I can see that.  Not sure about dorms could you get cable in a dorm?  Or do dorms have their own WiFi?

Hacksaw
    Participant

None of my nieces/nephews had it, don’t think my cousins kids did either but who knows. I would assume all these kids wouldn’t seeing as they are the cord cutting generation.

Thought about that and for off campus housing I can see that. Not sure about dorms could you get cable in a dorm? Or do dorms have their own WiFi?

If you told me Kurt Warner didn’t have cable at whatever school he went to I would believe him, but Luck went to Stanford and comes from a family that is above middle class where they had enough money to make sure Luck was on all the good select teams, a cable bill is a drop in the bucket.

Plus Menlo Park, Palo Alto, and Cupertino has enough mental bandwith where they can pirate some kind of cable tv through an acorn.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Weirdo and wrong about literally everything Nick Wright was saying this is the most shocking retirement in NFL history. I saw it come up on a ticker Saturday night was surprised but not shocked. Wasn’t around for Jim Brown but was getting paid double his football salary for movies. Shocking I’d go with Barry Sanders. I think he faxed the announcement to a Tulsa newspaper. And he was less than a thousand yards from Payton’s record. Wasn’t injured or anything

And had 99 rushing TD’s. Definitely not an OCD guy.

jforb
    Participant

Thought about that and for off campus housing I can see that. Not sure about dorms could you get cable in a dorm? Or do dorms have their own WiFi?

Had what was essentially basic cable available in my dorm in 2000, picture quality was awful. Wifi was just starting my senior year, still had to get the big ass card for my laptop.

And that’s why the millennial definition is screwed up at the early end, the big change in technology is like 5-10 years later.

Coma
    Participant

Weirdo and wrong about literally everything Nick Wright was saying this is the most shocking retirement in NFL history. I saw it come up on a ticker Saturday night was surprised but not shocked. Wasn’t around for Jim Brown but was getting paid double his football salary for movies. Shocking I’d go with Barry Sanders. I think he faxed the announcement to a Tulsa newspaper. And he was less than a thousand yards from Payton’s record. Wasn’t injured or anything

Recency bias (and, probably, a strong dose of ignorance) at ESPN? That’s unpossible.

Sanders played all 16 games and rushed for almost 1500 yards in his final season. 1998 was his 5th season in a row where he played in every game, so it’s not like he was on injury/rehab cycle. The Lions weren’t consistently great during Sanders’ career, but this wasn’t like Joe Thomas* on the Browns, with no playoffs and only 1 season with double digit wins in 11 years. So, yes, I’d agree that Barry Sanders retiring was more shocking than Andrew Luck.

Luck and his decision are now beyond question by the sports media, but if he played every game last year, including playoffs, how was he burned out from being constantly injured and going through the recovery process? Was he more banged up than we knew and the Colts were hiding that information? Luck missed 9 games in 2015, 1 in 2016 and then all of 2017. He returned in 2018 and had a very good season. You’d think, if the injuries got to him, he would have walked away 2 years ago. I’m sure the NFL will send their best investigative team to find out if the Colts were covering up Luck’s injuries.

*I saw Thomas as a guest commentator during a Browns game a week ago. He’s now built like a taller version of Lance Armstrong. When he played, he was over 300 lbs. I wonder how prominent Cleveland media members are portraying this radical shift in appearance: Commitment to diet and exercise or “He’s off the juice”?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ll always be bummed that Gronkowski retired but especially after seeing that video of him talking about how football and the injuries were bringing him down I’m happy for him.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

On Thomas I think the line is “keto diet.”  Same with Seabass Vollmer

Suzy
    Participant

And had 99 rushing TD’s. Definitely not an OCD guy.

Wow, guess not. :ohmy:   That’s pretty cool, actually.

Oh, and I wish finger-wagging, vile creep Fatty would be exposed as a common thief or a pervert or something. Is that so much to ask? :ozzy: :wall:

The responses to this tweet follow a predictable path. I like TEC saying to Zolak, “I honestly don’t know what you think the right answer should be here.”

At least the Bledsoe Krishnas are no longer arguing he’s better than Brady. That’s progress, right? They’ve still don’t know how low that bar should rest.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Similar to Rob Johnson and Brady, didn’t Romo take Bledsoe’s starting job in Dallas? Romo has a 2-6 playoff record so I say Bledsoe.

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah I’d have to say Bledsoe.  At least had the opportunity to start a Soupey.  Romo didn’t even get to a conference championship game.  The absolute nut crushing pick in the end zone against the Giants in the ’07 divisional game.  At least Bledsoe didn’t gack off the ’01 championship game as hard as he tried.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Rode in an ambulance with an EMT in 2014 (part of a long story best left unrecounted) who not only claimed that he still thought Bledsoe was better than Brady, but also that he stopped rooting for the Patriots in April 2002 when Bledsoe was traded.

Granted, this conversation happened just before the last three Super Bowl titles and two Super Bowl MVPs that Brady has amassed. But this guy was so effing stubborn about this that I’ll bet he hasn’t changed his mind since.

And, yes, I hope he shows better reasoning skills and judgment as an EMT/paramedic than he does as a football fan. :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

Yeah I’d have to say Bledsoe. At least had the opportunity to start a Soupey. Romo didn’t even get to a conference championship game. The absolute nut crushing pick in the end zone against the Giants in the ’07 divisional game. At least Bledsoe didn’t gack off the ’01 championship game as hard as he tried.

Bledsoe was 4-3 in 7 playoff starts but brutal numbers. 51.1% completions, 6 TD, 12 INT.

Romo was 2-4 with 61%, 8 TD and 2 INT.

Career numbers aren’t close either though admittedly different eras.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The responses to this tweet follow a predictable path. I like TEC saying to Zolak, “I honestly don’t know what you think the right answer should be here.”

At least the Bledsoe Krishnas are no longer arguing he’s better than Brady. That’s progress, right? They’ve still don’t know how low that bar should rest.

Bledsoe v. Romo is the Crespo v. Womack of overrated quarterbacks debates.

Lebron
    Participant

They’re both worthless shitbags but I love watching Rapist say yeah my comments on Brown ruined a friendship and Brown responding we were never friends. :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Romo is a far better golfer however.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

But does he know his Syrah from his Zinfandel? :smile:

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah I’d have to say Bledsoe. At least had the opportunity to start a Soupey. Romo didn’t even get to a conference championship game. The absolute nut crushing pick in the end zone against the Giants in the ’07 divisional game. At least Bledsoe didn’t gack off the ’01 championship game as hard as he tried.

Bledsoe was 4-3 in 7 playoff starts but brutal numbers. 51.1% completions, 6 TD, 12 INT.

Romo was 2-4 with 61%, 8 TD and 2 INT.

Career numbers aren’t close either though admittedly different eras.

Yeah I guess in the end Romo had better numbers, I’m surprised at the 2 INTs in the playoffs as it ‘feels’ like he threw more but I only really remember that one against the Giants.

Lebron
    Participant

SI running with the garbage McDonough beat up Clayborn bullshit in their 100 people who shaped the NFL

A Boston native, McDonough broke into the business at a time when sportswriters were essentially degenerate poets hanging out in the press box. Remembrances written by colleagues note how he never cheered, how he was always digging in to news that didn’t particularly relate to his team, and how he once beat up a Patriots player who was hounding him in the locker room. In the reporting world, swagger is often defined by one’s ability to pick up the phone and command anyone in the business to provide you with good, honest information, and in that way McDonough’s cubicle and phone were the nexus of a certain kind of power that would come to define NFL media.

What idyllic horseshit.  Reporters commanding good/honest information.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

How is Willie’s Rolodex NOT in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

:pk:

3 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

Did they mention the story of him killing Duk Koo Kim in the ring in 1982?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

This occurred to me this morning: When the Patriots signed Mike Pennel, Almost-A-Coach wondered if the team was making personnel moves out of desperation, since Pennel had been suspended twice for violating the substance abuse policy. Bedard conveniently ignored that the Jets signed Pennel after his suspension. I wonder what his opinion was after Pennel was released on Monday. Does this make the original signing less desperate? Or does it signify even larger issues, since the Patriots can’t even hang onto these “high risk” players?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar