Advertisements

This topic contains 119 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 120 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

Can’t think of much to say this morning.

I did turn on Felger and Mazz for a couple of minutes last Monday after the trade deadline. In that short time, I watched Mazz declare that, based on the moves they made, that was the day the Yankees locked up the division. Since then, NY has gone from being in first by half a game to being 4 games out of first. These guys really know their stuff.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I can.

That Simmons stuff from yesterday makes me despise the unfairness of the world. I now know why utopians and cultists dream of an imaginary future world where no vapid, incompetent person attains any success whatsoever.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

On the bright side:

Apparently, the Jacksonville Jags media entourage thrashed the Patriots’ media in flag football yesterday.

According to Good Morning Football, “That’s what happens when your cornerbacks are Ben Volin and Mike Reiss.”

You suppose NE had Bertrand at nose tackle?

chicowalker
    Participant

From the 10 minutes or so of Hard Knocks I saw- Winston has a couple of bucks now.  He couldn’t, at the very least, replace the porch hand rail on the roach infested crack house his family still inexplicably lives in?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

You suppose NE had Bertrand at nose tackle?

He was the pylon.

InThisTown
    Participant

The factual inaccuracies in this podcast are amazing. Not to mention the literally hundreds of additional opinions that I would argue against.

chicowalker
    Participant

I can. That Simmons stuff from yesterday makes me despise the unfairness of the world. I now know why utopians and cultists dream of an imaginary future world where no vapid, incompetent person attains any success whatsoever.

I don’t even necessarily blame them for having gaps in their memories (not everybody is obsessive game re-watchers like you motherfuckers ;-) ).  I remember practically no specifics of 51.  But I also haven’t offered up my incoherent thoughts about shit I can’t recall in a well-trafficked podcast.

Hacksaw
    Participant

When the Red Sox have a three game losing streak, stories will come out how trades fell through before the trade deadline.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I can. That Simmons stuff from yesterday makes me despise the unfairness of the world. I now know why utopians and cultists dream of an imaginary future world where no vapid, incompetent person attains any success whatsoever.

I don’t even necessarily blame them for having gaps in their memories (not everybody is obsessive game re-watchers like you motherfuckers 😉 ). I remember practically no specifics of 51. But I also haven’t offered up my incoherent thoughts about shit I can’t recall in a well-trafficked podcast.

It’s not just a few gaps, though.

They misremember very important moments, and do so in such a way and so often that it sounds like a comedy sketch where you write the dialogue specifically so it sounds like you’re trying to fuck up as many things as possible. You’re a highly visible opinion-based member of the sports media. How can you be this bad at it?

Participant

When the Red Sox have a three game losing streak, stories will come out how trades fell through before the trade deadline.

Hacksaw, the Red Sox organization deeply apologizes to those concerned.

Dear Leaders John, Tom and Linda were in on everyone and extremely visionary.

Image result for sam kennedy

InThisTown
    Participant

I’m up to #16:

Steelers and Pats played opening night 2005
    Mo Lewis was “right before” 9/11
    Thinks 03 Miami OT win was Monday Night
    Think Titans 2009 59-0 was 2007.
    Says progression on Givens TD in 39 was left to right. Everyone knows it was a play for Fauria, who was aligned right.
    Titans-Pats playoff “the crowd is dead” and there was “no energy”

chicowalker
    Participant

Everybody forgets this, especially us

InThisTown
    Participant

Amazingly they call it the “Sterling Moore strip game”

But Bill fucking forgot Cundiffe missed the field goal prior to re-watching it for the podcast.   :blink:

Coma
    Participant

On the bright side: Apparently, the Jacksonville Jags media entourage thrashed the Patriots’ media in flag football yesterday. According to Good Morning Football, “That’s what happens when your cornerbacks are Ben Volin and Mike Reiss.” You suppose NE had Bertrand at nose tackle?

Didn’t Volin go through the NFL combine drills for an article a few months ago? He should have been dominant in that game.

Marty Nopointe
    Participant

All comes back to baseball

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/springfield_man_denies_assault_4.html#incart_river_home

He went on to urinate in other rooms, and then tried to “donkey-kick” his wife, but missed. At that point, he went back outside and used a heavy hose nozzle the crack the windshield of her car, the report said.

When police arrived, Krause was standing in the front yard holding a baseball glove and a plastic cup.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Amazingly they call it the “Sterling Moore strip game” But Bill fucking forgot Cundiffe missed the field goal prior to re-watching it for the podcast. :blink:

How did he think they won the game? Rock-Paper-Scissors?

InThisTown
    Participant

howzie has a second twitter account for some reason.

Doncabesa
    Participant

howzie has a second twitter account for some reason.

god gave us two hands for a reason /howzie

*oh god, that frigging header  :lol:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Doncabesa.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Edgy Kirk eating while on air with Trenni is a show someone thinks I’d be interested in tuning in to? There may have been a third voice, I’m not listening to someone who thinks conversing with a mouth full of food makes him sound powerful.

Ironhead
    Participant

I woke up about 3am PST today to let the dogs outside, and turned on the Simmons pod, and couldn’t go back to bed because I was enraged the first 20 minutes of that pod was so terrible/inaccurate.  If only there was some sort of world wide web of information they could use to reference games of yesteryear!

Zero research by Simmons.  Zero.  Lazy as fuck.

TwoTimes
    Participant

All comes back to baseball http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/springfield_man_denies_assault_4.html#incart_river_home He went on to urinate in other rooms, and then tried to “donkey-kick” his wife, but missed. At that point, he went back outside and used a heavy hose nozzle the crack the windshield of her car, the report said. When police arrived, Krause was standing in the front yard holding a baseball glove and a plastic cup.

All this time I thought it was a donkey punch.

Ironhead
    Participant

All comes back to baseball http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/springfield_man_denies_assault_4.html#incart_river_home He went on to urinate in other rooms, and then tried to “donkey-kick” his wife, but missed. At that point, he went back outside and used a heavy hose nozzle the crack the windshield of her car, the report said. When police arrived, Krause was standing in the front yard holding a baseball glove and a plastic cup.

All this time I thought it was a donkey punch.

Me too.   :wag:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I woke up about 3am PST today to let the dogs outside, and turned on the Simmons pod, and couldn’t go back to bed because I was enraged the first 20 minutes of that pod was so terrible/inaccurate. If only there was some sort of world wide web of information they could use to reference games of yesteryear! Zero research by Simmons. Zero. Lazy as fuck.

The irony of Glen Campbell dying of Alzheimer’s on the same day Simmons has a pod where he forgets everything important wasn’t lost on me.

Ironhead
    Participant

“Everyone forgets this.”

No, just you, California Bill.

Participant

Edgy Kirk eating while on air with Trenni is a show someone thinks I’d be interested in tuning in to? There may have been a third voice, I’m not listening to someone who thinks conversing with a mouth full of food makes him sound powerful.

Why not?

Image result for rob bradford

Rob’s, ummm, right yep yep.

Image result for Rich Keefe

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Image result for Rich Keefe   https://i0.wp.com/i.ytimg.com/vi/2lTMiQsMH1g/hqdefault.jpg?resize=220%2C165&ssl=1

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I woke up about 3am PST today to let the dogs outside, and turned on the Simmons pod, and couldn’t go back to bed because I was enraged the first 20 minutes of that pod was so terrible/inaccurate. If only there was some sort of world wide web of information they could use to reference games of yesteryear! Zero research by Simmons. Zero. Lazy as fuck.

That’s true about research but it’s deeper than that. (get ready I’m about to get edgy by ripping on board fav Bill Simmons).

How much research would it take for you or anyone here to recall who was up when Dave Roberts stole second, or who was covering Ray Allen when he went by for the 4th quarter lefty layup in LA in game 4? Would you need to look up who caught Brady’s first TD in 49? And you don’t even have your own website advertising yourself as the Boston Sports guy. It’s shameful. People here remember that stuff because we enjoyed the games so much that the events became important memories. It’s an act with him, he’s a fraud.

Here’s the callahardfoul personal metric for a true Patriots fan: You have to at least know (1) the score and (2) the yard line the Pats were on when they executed the intentional safety, as well as (3) the opposing player who fucked up the ensuing kick return and (4) the player on the Patriots who scored the winning touchdown.  Thems the basics. No chance Simmons gets any of those 4.

Ironhead
    Participant

The error that ITT had tweeted to him on Twitter by McAdam about Dave Henderson’s HR vs. the Angels bothered me a ton.

I realize the game was 31 years ago, but off the top of my head:

• 5-2 California in the ninth
    • Buckner single, Baylor HR makes it 5-4
    • Evans pops up for 2nd out against Mike Witt
    • Mauch takes out Witt, brings in LH Gary Lucas to face Rich Gedman (who was on fire)
    • Gedman HBP
    • Hendu HR w/2 strikes, 2 outs – 6-5 BOS
    • Angels tie in ninth, Steve Crawford wiggles out of trouble
    • Hendu sac fly in the 12th
    • Schiraldi saves it 18 hours after blowing Game 4

It’s one of the great fucking games in the history of baseball, yet McAdam (a) doesn’t recall correctly (OK, fine), but (b) is TOO LAZY TO RESEARCH and (c) there’s no editor on the hyperlocal, we understand you beaneaters/Bedard Vanity Project.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Ironhead.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Ironhead.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

It’s one of the great fucking games in the history of baseball, yet McAdam (a) doesn’t recall correctly (OK, fine), but (b) is TOO LAZY TO RESEARCH and (c) there’s no editor on the hyperlocal, we understand you beaneaters/Bedard Vanity Project.

Tell him they had a three-run lead in Game 7 against the Mets. Then sniff for the odor of smoldering bran cells.

Ironhead
    Participant

Of course, I remember it was Jerry Narron who scored the winning run for the Angels in Game 4 ’86 ALCS, so it’s more than likely that I’m the weirdo here.

Participant

I’d fail CAHF’s fan entrance exam. I remembered the margin but not the score, couldn’t tell you the exact yard line, and misremembered the Denver punt returner. I knew who scored the TD.

InThisTown
    Participant

I’m pleasantly surprised by Simmons ordering the games 51-36-49. That checks out as accurate, though 36 and 49 are pretty interchangeable for me.

rclane
    Participant

Apparently Howzie had been suspended by twitter for a week. He’s back.

And his backup account has 1,038 tweets. If he started that account when he got suspended* a week ago, that’s 6.2 tweets per hour, or one every 10 minutes with no time for sleep.

* I don’t know and I don’t care when he started the alternate account.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’d fail CAHF’s fan entrance exam. I remembered the margin but not the score, couldn’t tell you the exact yard line, and misremembered the Denver punt returner. I knew who scored the TD.

I should’ve said margin as I screwed up the score when I went back to fact check myself.  Don’t beat yourself up  :lol:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That’s what happens when you Dare To Taste.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I’m pleasantly surprised by Simmons ordering the games 51-36-49. That checks out as accurate, though 36 and 49 are pretty interchangeable for me.

36 was amazing in that the last drive was Brady’s coming-out party as a big-time clutch player at the highest level.

The insanity of 49 was that the game looked like a loss, and that the absolute best thing possible happened right after you were expecting the worst thing.

I think fans were pleasantly surprised that the team had the Rams flummoxed for most of 36, but I don’t think people were mentally conceding defeat like the end of 49. That’s why I put 49 slightly higher.

49 has surpassed 36 for me. Just such an enjoyable team to watch, the cemented legacy of four Super Bowls, ending the Brady/Manning debate, plus killing the “Haven’t won since Spygate” ghost once and for all.

Edit: Most importantly, how that game was won.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The ad server just put up a banner ad urging me to “Give the Gift of Life: Donate an Ovum.”    :ohmy:   :blink:

I can feel the finger-wags coming from Manchester-on-the-Merrimack as I type.   :pk:   :pk:   :pk:

(I swear I haven’t visited “The View Online” … EVER.)

InThisTown
    Participant

I unequivocally had 49 above 36 prior to 51. 51 allowed me to possibly move it back down past 36. But 49 carries the weight of the ten years of fucking bullshit that occurred between the 3rd and 4th titles.

Participant

CallaHard’s test is tougher than the Colts one from Diner.

Ironhead
    Participant

I had mentally packed my bags and moved back to Boston after Lynch took it to the 1.  For me, I don’t think 49 can ever be topped.

InThisTown
    Participant

I had mentally packed my bags and moved back to Boston after Lynch took it to the 1. For me, I don’t think 49 can ever be topped.

You realize they just came back from 25 down playing perfect football, right?  :lol:

Ironhead
    Participant

I had mentally packed my bags and moved back to Boston after Lynch took it to the 1. For me, I don’t think 49 can ever be topped.

You realize they just came back from 25 down playing perfect football, right? 😆

I don’t live in Atlanta.

Twelves are the fucking worst fanz on the planet.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

We shouldn’t be minimizing Ironhead’s lived experience.  :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

First of all, what the fuck, that crowd was severely lubed up.

Second of all, when it’s negative with the wind chill, clapping gloves don’t make much noise.

Kevin
    Participant

You realize they just came back from 25 down playing perfect football, right? 😆

What was it again? 49 was missionary with the wife, 51 was Kate Upton and a Michael Hutchence gimp contraption? :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

That’s true about research but it’s deeper than that. (get ready I’m about to get edgy by ripping on board fav Bill Simmons). How much research would it take for you or anyone here to recall who was up when Dave Roberts stole second, or who was covering Ray Allen when he went by for the 4th quarter lefty layup in LA in game 4? Would you need to look up who caught Brady’s first TD in 49? And you don’t even have your own website advertising yourself as the Boston Sports guy. It’s shameful. People here remember that stuff because we enjoyed the games so much that the events became important memories. It’s an act with him, he’s a fraud. Here’s the callahardfoul personal metric for a true Patriots fan: You have to at least know (1) the score and (2) the yard line the Pats were on when they executed the intentional safety, as well as (3) the opposing player who fucked up the ensuing kick return and (4) the player on the Patriots who scored the winning touchdown. Thems the basics. No chance Simmons gets any of those 4.

Is the answer Hank Poteat?

The issue I have isn’t, like Chico referenced, isn’t the lack of photographic memory. But he planned a podcast where he’d be discussing his favorite games and he didn’t even bother looking at the friggin box scores beforehand.

Same with McAdam. If you’re speaking off the cuff when someone asks you, out of the blue, about a game 31 years ago, you’ll probably mess up some details. But he was writing a piece about a guy who had died, so he had ample time to look up the box score on baseball-reference, or, if he’s technology challenged, get a microfiche of the box score from the paper that day.

In both instances its laziness born out of arrogance. “I know this stuff.”

Mark
    Participant

36, 51, 49, 38, 39

36, 51 and 49 all separated by a c hair.

InThisTown
    Participant

First of all, what the fuck, that crowd was severely lubed up. Second of all, when it’s negative with the wind chill, clapping gloves don’t make much noise.

I think the latest incarnation is “beating off with a belt around your neck, dangling off the Tobin”

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar