Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/10/18 DAILY Thread

This topic contains 108 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • Author

NASCL
    Participant

Why not?

Football season and Red Sox playoffs should carry us.

And always the possibility Joe Gill gets shorted on taco meat.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed that the EEI morning show pounced on the same Jessica Mendoza comment I did (namely that there’s no bad seat in Fenway).

What do you say instead of “Heart Attack Closer” when the whole bullpen is at issue?

chicowalker
    Participant

He says he wrote about all these teen and post-teen moments of life in cars, and yet didn’t have a driver’s license. “I’ve never worked 9 to 5,” he told the audience in the 939-seat Walter Kerr Theater. “I’ve never done hard labor. Yet, it’s almost all I’ve written about.”

1,2,3,4!  :lol:   He’s  the perfect avatar for the DadJeans sportswriters who think they are digging ditches because they filed a story at 1am

Humphrey
    Participant

I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed that the EEI morning show pounced on the same Jessica Mendoza comment I did (namely that there’s no bad seat in Fenway).

What do you say instead of “Heart Attack Closer” when the whole bullpen is at issue?

Earl Weaver* used to call Don? Stanhouse “Full Pack” because he got in and out of so many jams. Maybe “Full Carton” in accordance with the increased bullpen use compared to the 70s?

*Weaver might be Exhibit A in what a hypocrite Shank is. Great manager, deserved all the accolades he got over the years, and Shank himself has given him PLENTY from the days he covered the O’s. However, if he managed the Red Sox all he would dwell on was how his 109 win team couldn’t beat the 69 Mets, his quartet of 20 game winners couldn’t beat the 71 Pirates….and, of course, he blew a 3-1 lead in the 79 World Series.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Long live the daily thread.

I don’t have the bandwidth to keep up with twitter while at work, but leave the board open in a tab all day.

chicowalker
    Participant

this might have been why Earl Weaver was always so angry :ohmy:

I wonder if he ever proposed platooning some of the other members of the bridge club with the crypt keeper here, much like he did with “that cocksucker Lowenstein”

NASCL
    Participant

Prime Bam Childress is almost as good as the Red Zone………..with bonus college coverage.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Nice pool (is it surrounded by fake grass?). I’d have thought he have had a bigger house.

NASCL
    Participant

Fox25 Twitter person has to learn the art of cropping

Tom Pepper
    Participant

I know its early in the season but Fatty’s MMQB or whatever he calls it now is a contender for most Fatty column of the season, complete with a weird bathroom comment.

jforb
    Participant

I know its early in the season but Fatty’s MMQB or whatever he calls it now is a contender for most Fatty column of the season, complete with a weird bathroom comment.

Nathan Peterman, quarterback, Buffalo. Enough. Forty-to-nothing is not all his fault. But 40-0 in 35 minutes? That’s two incredibly unprofessional appearances in two starts for Peterman. We’ve seen enough of Peterman, Sean McDermott.

:pk: Stop sucking QB :pk:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Earl Weaver* used to call Don? Stanhouse “Full Pack” because he got in and out of so many jams. Maybe “Full Carton” in accordance with the increased bullpen use compared to the 70s?

*Weaver might be Exhibit A in what a hypocrite Shank is. Great manager, deserved all the accolades he got over the years, and Shank himself has given him PLENTY from the days he covered the O’s. However, if he managed the Red Sox all he would dwell on was how his 109 win team couldn’t beat the 69 Mets, his quartet of 20 game winners couldn’t beat the 71 Pirates….and, of course, he blew a 3-1 lead in the 79 World Series.

My favorite moments from that fuzzy YouTube video of Earl pulling a nutty over a balk call ca. 1979. [Paraphrasing]:

Earl to umpire Bill Haller: “You’re no good!”

Haller: “Yeah?”

Earl: “Yeah! You’re no good! You’re goin’ nowhere! And I’m goin’ to the Hall of Fame!”

Haller: “What for? For fuckin’ up World Series?”

Earl: “I’ve won more than I’ve lost!”

Haller: “No, you haven’t.”

Earl: “Games!  Games!!!!”

GusChiggins
    Participant

I wish Peterman played for a different team, I’d definitely be rooting for him.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Random clip I’ve grown to love: This drunk Irish soccer commentator might be the greatest hyperbolic sports commentator since Johnny Most. Messi scores to secure an important (but not like 7th game of the NBA Finals important) win at the “buzzer” 3-2 over league rivals Real Madrid and Ronaldo, the other consensus best player in the world. Ray Hudson then uncorks about a dozen insane catchphrases that would make the classic Sportscenter anchors blush. It’s also Messi’s 500th career goal for Messi for Barcelona.

RedSeat
    Participant

2. 4th and 1 they kicked a Field Goal to go ahead 6? Maybe go for it? Get the 1st down you can run out the clock, at least most of the clock, if not get the TD.

From last night. My initial thought was yes, I’d kick the FG. Yes, 4th and 1 should be a high probability to make, but there’s a lot of value in forcing them to score a touchdown instead of a FG. But after more thought, I’m less sure. If they try and fail, it’s a three point game. If GB faces a 4th down in FG territory, they kick and the game is tied. Bears still have a chance. But with a 6 point lead, GB can use all four downs all the way down the field. And if they score they win, not tie. Combined with the odds of actually picking up the 4th and 1, I think that tips the scales for me.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Daily Thread. Approve!

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Yahtzee
    Participant

He says he wrote about all these teen and post-teen moments of life in cars, and yet didn’t have a driver’s license. “I’ve never worked 9 to 5,” he told the audience in the 939-seat Walter Kerr Theater. “I’ve never done hard labor. Yet, it’s almost all I’ve written about.”

1,2,3,4! 😆 He’s the perfect avatar for the DadJeans sportswriters who think they are digging ditches because they filed a story at 1am

Whom are you referencing, Chico?

Lebron
    Participant

I could write 10,000 words on what made my three-minute TV story happen on NBC’s “Football Night in America” Sunday.

“I”, “me” and why would anyone want to read any story on what made a fucking interstitial “happen.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

2. 4th and 1 they kicked a Field Goal to go ahead 6? Maybe go for it? Get the 1st down you can run out the clock, at least most of the clock, if not get the TD.

From last night. My initial thought was yes, I’d kick the FG. Yes, 4th and 1 should be a high probability to make, but there’s a lot of value in forcing them to score a touchdown instead of a FG. But after more thought, I’m less sure. If they try and fail, it’s a three point game. If GB faces a 4th down in FG territory, they kick and the game is tied. Bears still have a chance. But with a 6 point lead, GB can use all four downs all the way down the field. And if they score they win, not tie. Combined with the odds of actually picking up the 4th and 1, I think that tips the scales for me.

Of course we couldn’t know that they would allow a 75 yard jaunt for a TD. I’d like to think that Belichick would at least consider going for it. Or maybe just stand at the line and yell Hut! Hut! for 40 seconds.

Lebron
    Participant

Holy shit this asshole is fingerwagging players over calligraphy

“Bart, you know what I’ve always admired about you?” I said. “Your autograph.” He stopped. He looked up at me. I said: “Your autograph is perfect. Perfect penmanship. Today, you can’t read anyone’s autograph. They’re a mess.

chicowalker
    Participant

1,2,3,4! 😆 He’s the perfect avatar for the DadJeans sportswriters who think they are digging ditches because they filed a story at 1am

Whom are you referencing, Chico?

Chuck Mangione, clearly ;-)

Springsteen- Fatty went to his broadway show, which we all should “run, not walk to” despite probably having to take out a loan to attend

:lol:stubhub lowest price around $900

Lebron
    Participant

Paging Bootleg Barnicle

My wife and I were fortunate to see the “Springsteen on Broadway” show the other night.

Larry Legend
    Participant

Random clip I’ve grown to love: This drunk Irish soccer commentator might be the greatest hyperbolic sports commentator since Johnny Most. Messi scores to secure an important (but not like 7th game of the NBA Finals important) win at the “buzzer” 3-2 over league rivals Real Madrid and Ronaldo, the other consensus best player in the world. Ray Hudson then uncorks about a dozen insane catchphrases that would make the classic Sportscenter anchors blush. It’s also Messi’s 500th career goal for Messi for Barcelona.

Ray Hudson is outstanding. The We Got Soccer store in Foxboro got him to record the attendant service on their phones. MAGIC!

chicowalker
    Participant

I’ve long thought Mark patinkin a hack (zoinks can’t program my VCR better ask my 10 year old! :weei: )  but his story about how RI lost the Pawsox is a good read

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20180907/mark-patinkin-how-rhode-island-lost-pawsox

chicowalker
    Participant

You got me on the pay no fuckin’ mind list Lebron?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar