Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/10/18 DAILY Thread

This topic contains 108 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 109 total)
  • Author

BrianInLA
    Participant

According to Baseball Reference, Rodriguez’s last sacrifice bunt was in 1999, so he didn’t put one down for the last 15 years of his career. Why doesn’t anyone bunt anymore?!?

I seem to recall he was actually bunting for hits when he first joined the Yankees in ’04, think he got off to a brutal start.

They mentioned Kinsler hasn’t bunted since 2014 and when he first came to the Sox he tried to bunt on his own and Mookie took him aside and told him “We dont bunt here”. Yet Arod still was pushing for small ball, old school baseball. I know they have to fill airtime but geesh. Also something I never thought I’d say is that I dont mind post-player Arod. He does make fun of himself a lot and I think they said he lost a bet and had to serve hamburgers to Sox fans over the weekend or something. The girl in the booth told him he was brave for doing that around Sox fans but Arod said they were all pretty cool with him doing it.

Lebron
    Participant

Cousin Sal gets a daily hour long gambling show on FS1, called Lock It In.  I guess it’s not his show he’s a ‘regular’

“The thing I love most about Lock It In is just how much fun it will be to watch,” said Charlie Dixon, EVP Content at FS1. “All four cast members have such big personalities, and what sets the show apart is their shared love of sports, humor and competitiveness. In the end, the show is not only about being right, it’s about being interesting.”

Get me the surfing channel from Ballers or the renegade doc on the edge with autism show.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Pats favored by 2 over Jags next week. I have to think the Jags are going to play this like its their Super Bowl and the Pats are going to play like its any other week #2 game where they are still working things out.

Lebron
    Participant

California Bill is worried about the lack of separation the Patriots receivers are getting.  So Brady goes for almost 300 has a pick on a tipped ball but he still wants wide open guys on every play.

He also recorded a Sunday night ’emergency edition’ podcast and introduced it by inflecting his voice a bit higher on ‘pawdcast’, so basically he ripped off Portnoy and Bill Burr in one sentence.  Efficient.

Lebron
    Participant

Caliendo stars as Jon Gruden in ‘The Hangover’ parody

The Hangover?  That’s almost 10 years old.   I bet it’s hysterical.  Jesus Christ

Yahtzee
    Participant

I also think Romo must have killed some brain cells in the offseason. He was far more annoying than I previously remember.

Someone threatened to kill his family if there were 15 seconds of silence.

Suzy
    Participant

Caliendo stars as Jon Gruden in ‘The Hangover’ parody

The Hangover? That’s almost 10 years old. I bet it’s hysterical. Jesus Christ

It sucked ten years ago too.

Suzy
    Participant

Saw a Philly in-law of mine this weekend whom I normally like a LOT except when he’s being a douche about the Patriots “scandals” (he hits on and BELIEVES all the fucking nonsense: “And I’ve read neutral reporting on it!” :lol:).

Anyhoo, I told him how hard everyone’s laughing at that ridiculous “reviewing the play” statue and he claimed that Eagles FANS agree, and hate it–some corporate sponsor put it up (I forget who & refuse to research). Sure, Buddy. They just hate it.  :rollseyes:

GusChiggins
    Participant

The media bouncing from Binky to Binky is annoying as heck. First Jimmy G is the saviour!! Oh, he played bad. Nevermind. Then it was Khalil Mack is the new saviour of the Bears. Bringing back the ’85 Bears defense!!! Wait, they blew a 20 point lead late including giving up a 75 yard catch and run? Oh, well, skip that. Either way Pats suck!!!

I also think Romo must have killed some brain cells in the offseason. He was far more annoying than I previously remember.

On another note Arod practically begging Kinlser to bunt late last night was funny. He had to have spent 20 minutes talking about how no one bunts anymore and how the Sox are 2nd to last in bunting. Since they lead the league in runs scored by a hefty margin (48 more than the Yankees) maybe they’re on to something there Bub. Granted Kinsler, Swihart and Vazquez all struck out so it really didn’t matter.

Saw a Patrick Mahomes looks like the next great NFL quarterback headline today. He can throw the ball 70 yards!

Feejis
    Participant

Bummer about Jerry Hill. Hopefully Michel comes back sooner than later, they’re a little thin there.

Claude45
    Participant

Saw a Philly in-law of mine this weekend whom I normally like a LOT except when he’s being a douche about the Patriots “scandals” (he hits on and BELIEVES all the fucking nonsense: “And I’ve read neutral reporting on it!” :lol:).

Anyhoo, I told him how hard everyone’s laughing at that ridiculous “reviewing the play” statue and he claimed that Eagles FANS agree, and hate it–some corporate sponsor put it up (I forget who & refuse to research). Sure, Buddy. They just hate it. :rollseyes:

I was in Philly last week for work. Yes, they did serve pretzels one day but I can’t confirm if they have a lotta culture or if it’s a baby New York.

I think Bud Light put up the statue because Foles said “Philly, Philly” which of course rhymes with “Dilly, Dilly”. Corporate Synergy! The most annoying, obnoxious fan base tied to the most annoying, obnoxious ad campaign. Perfect fit, I was sick of both 2 minutes after I first heard it.

Lebron
    Participant

The media bouncing from Binky to Binky is annoying as heck. First Jimmy G is the saviour!! Oh, he played bad. Nevermind. Then it was Khalil Mack is the new saviour of the Bears. Bringing back the ’85 Bears defense!!! Wait, they blew a 20 point lead late including giving up a 75 yard catch and run? Oh, well, skip that. Either way Pats suck!!!

On another note Arod practically begging Kinlser to bunt late last night was funny. He had to have spent 20 minutes talking about how no one bunts anymore and how the Sox are 2nd to last in bunting. Since they lead the league in runs scored by a hefty margin (48 more than the Yankees) maybe they’re on to something there Bub. Granted Kinsler, Swihart and Vazquez all struck out so it really didn’t matter.

Saw a Patrick Mahomes looks like the next great NFL quarterback headline today. He can throw the ball 70 yards!

From his knees!  I think Kyle Boller did that trick, Brian Billick bought it, traded a future first rounder for him that turned in to Vince Wilfork.

Claude45
    Participant

Time to walk the dogs and hate listen Simmons. Sports Dad must be sitting waist deep in pee and hoping for a Dez signing.

Another passage from the Leibovich book:

I asked Kraft about Spygate, which he has pinned on Belichick over the years, while insisting he knew nothing about the team’s taping practices. He shrugged, assumed a reflexively pained look, and proceeded to tell me a story. After the Pats were busted in 2007, Kraft asked Belichick how much competitive benefit the taping had gained him, on a scale of 1 to 100, especially in light of the penalties and embarrassment the team suffered after getting caught.

“About a 1% benefit,” Belichick replied to his boss, no doubt looking him in the eye.
    “Then you’re a schmuck!” Kraft told Belichick.
    Kraft relayed this conversation to me in a quiet and oddly conspiratorial way, as if he were taking me into his confidence by sharing it. In fact, he’s recounted this schmuck exchange many times over the years. It is a go-to sound bite from Kraft’s Spygate repertoire, and I’ve always been puzzled over why Kraft is so fond of this explanation, other than his seizing the opportunity to use a naughty Yiddish word, “schmuck”, which I can respect.
    This only makes me dislike Kraft more. This story’s become a running punchline for him. Hey, check out this time I called the greatest coach ever, who has brought me unprecedented success and riches, a schmuck. Boy, I really put one over on him, huh, fellas?

Brian
    Participant

If the Red Sox win tomorrow, they clinch a playoff spot. Magic number for the division is currently 11. Do they celebrate clinching (at least) the second wildcard?

God I hope not. Let’s win the damn thing first.

Lebron
    Participant

We went back and forth on that one last week with schmuck.  I’ve never had a problem with it, neither has Bill apparently  And Leibovitch can spare me the “no doubt looking him in the eye” bullshit.  He wasn’t in the room, nor did Kraft say anything of the sort.  Pure theatrical garbage.

GusChiggins
    Participant

We went back and forth on that one last week with schmuck. I’ve never had a problem with it, neither has Bill apparently And Leibovitch can spare me the “no doubt looking him in the eye” bullshit. He wasn’t in the room, nor did Kraft say anything of the sort. Pure theatrical garbage.

And he said taping practices. Not games.

Lebron
    Participant

Holy shit I didn’t even see that.  This guy is terrible.  It’s always puzzled me as to why Kraft is so fond of this explanation?  Huhwha?  He shared the conversation that they had about it.  His choice to do so, but is he supposed to give another answer that he’s more fond of, like he pulled a Moe Green slapping Fredo around to keep things running and made Bill beg to keep his job?  What the fuck?

Lebron
    Participant

Aaron Rodgers’ status to face Minnesota Vikings still in doubt

Ooooooh, the drama!  I hope they find out he tore his ACL beyond repair which leads to Rodgers suing the Packers and the doctor for clearing him.

jforb
    Participant

Hell of a franchise

Josh Gordon started against Hue Jackson’s wishes, something he addressed Sunday after the tie with Pittsburgh. On Monday, the Browns coach called it a “miscommunication” with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

We went back and forth on that one last week with schmuck. I’ve never had a problem with it, neither has Bill apparently And Leibovitch can spare me the “no doubt looking him in the eye” bullshit. He wasn’t in the room, nor did Kraft say anything of the sort. Pure theatrical garbage.

The “looking in the eye” thing is a joke, a callback to earlier passages. Kraft has a habit of punctuating his stories with “and he then looked me straight in the eye and said…” Kraft did this, for example, when conveying that he believed Goodell when he told him he hadn’t seen the elevator tape.

You’re right, we’ve been back and forth on schmuck, and we just disagree.  It’s one thing as a one-time story to Myers, but as a regular chestnut he keeps repeating? Fuck him. Spygate was nothing, a felony charge for a traffic ticket, and Kraft’s continual fruitless courting of the officer, judge and jury over his own people just tells me he’s the schmuck.

Lebron
    Participant

On Hark Knocks Haley and one of the other coaches challenged Jackson on why guys who were hurt weren’t at least at practice or position group stuff and you could tell Haley was giving the jerkoff motion when Jackson was half ass answering.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Haley did the Few Good Men screw it the old man has lost his mind and did what he wanted.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Lebron.

Lebron
    Participant

He couldn’t even get the most basic games/practices aspect right, I’d venture he never even had the conversation with Kraft.  He’s not saying anything that hasn’t already been reported. Verbatim.  He’s not adding anything except bullshit like ‘conspiratorial.’  Hell, he could have told Kraft yeah everyone knows this.  It’s all bullshit.  Especially in light of the embarrassment the team has suffered! 

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Look out comely interns. Joe Beningo back on WFAN.

jforb
    Participant

I don’t buy the idea of Kraft being giddy about the fact that he called Bill a schmuck. Old Jewish men drop it more often than we drop cunt around here.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I called Bill a schmuck; and got away with it! Is Big Jonathan’s 4 TD game for Polk High story.  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Never change Jets

jforb
    Participant

Ballwashing was getting Favre-ian, might as well start like him.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That pass was brutal. Across the field, the DB had 2 hours to get the pick. Actually WAS very Favre-like.

Big Fat O
    Participant

And people thought having Greenberg and Golic was a mistake announcing the early game a few years ago.

chicowalker
    Participant

Zeroballs made his tweets private? How else am I going to worry about Jules?

BrianInLA
    Participant

So thats a catch now? No one should say shit about Gronks catch yesterday then.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I did not know that Favre threw a pick-6 on his first NFL pass.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

And people thought having Greenberg and Golic was a mistake announcing the early game a few years ago.

These two are terrible. Does she know this isn’t on radio?

And he said taping practices. Not games.

Wait, I think this got lost in translation. I don’t think he was saying “taping practices” in the Tomase sense; I think he was saying it like “taping procedures”. Earlier in the chapter, Leibovich wrote exactly what Spygate was, with no mention of the Tomase-stuff:

At the very least, this smacked of selective enforcement, involving the league’s most successful, and resented, team and star. This was also not the first time the Patriots had been called to the principal’s office. In 2007, the newly named Commissioner Goodell docked the Patriots a first round draft pick after the aforementioned team official was caught videotaping Jets coaches sending in plays via hand signals. Spygate. That revelation also triggered talk of asterisks and poisoned achievements and freighted legacies…

It has never been clear to me how big of a deal Spygate was. No one ever gave a good answer about why it would be so wrong for a team official to videotape opposing coaches from the field but okay for anyone – even that same team official – to buy a ticket and videotape the same coaches from the stands. Belichick made this point during his post-Deflategae/Mona Lisa Vito tutorial in January in response to a reporter’s question that referenced the then-seven-year-old videotaping matter. “The guy’s giving signals in front of eighty thousand people, okay?” Belichick said. “So we filmed him making signals out in front of eighty thousand people like there were a lot of other teams doing at the time, too.”

I think it was just an unfortunate word choice.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Ok, that make sense.

Disappointed I missed the Darnold INT.

Lebron
    Participant

:lol:Anything to fit the narrative.  Even if you’re right this guy is still a fucking hack not reporting anything more than how he personally felt.  Pete King School of Bullshit stuff.

You get owners like Snyder who gets involved in everything, making a QB his buddy and chasing big name players and coaches.  Jones publicly pissed off a guy who went back to back a few years removed from 1-15 just to prove a point, namely it’s him that writes the checks.  Chases big time players and coaches and actually makes himself GM.  You can go on and on about owners and how they make spectacles of themselves, inject themselves into the franchise, whatever else.  And yet it’s Kraft you despise?  I don’t care who owns the teams but I’m glad they aren’t owned by Snyder or Jones for damn sure.

Does Kraft get any credit for anything?  Like identifying Belichick as a guy to consider in the future as the HC and GM when he wouldn’t give that to Parcells?  Calling Parcells on his wishy washy bullshit?  Working out the comp with a guy he hated for Belichick?  Keeping out of it when Belichick stuck with Brady over a guy he really liked who was eventually traded?  You think Jones or Snyder does that?  How many times does he tell the Brady story of when he first met him, or do we just count the schmuck story that I only heard him tell once, maybe twice once to Myers and once on tv?  I guess maybe it all is just blind dumb luck

No, they’re all pretty terrible. The book makes that clear. Fucking billionaire boys club with a bunch of out-of-touch rich assholes whom we keep enriching. Horrible human beings one and all, feasting on our sad addiction, suckering municipalities. Kraft comes off no worse than the rest.

Me personally on Kraft, yeah I’ll give him all the credit in the world for making the deal for Belichick. That was ballsy, and it was sacrifice, and it totally could have blown up in his face given what a lot of people thought of Belichick in Cleveland. And he certainly seemed to learn from his days with Parcells and Carroll, letting Belichick run the football operation. I’m actually crediting both Belichick and Kraft in that I think Wickersham’s story that Kraft forced Belichick to trade Garoppolo is horseshit. I don’t think Kraft would do that and I don’t think Belichick would stick around if Kraft did that.

Bill Brasky
    Participant

Is it me or is she straining to say everything sentence?  Unless she’s over compressed it must be exhausting.  It’s exhausting to listen to her work so god damn hard to speak.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Bill Brasky.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Only 1 eye on the game but maybe the Jets aren’t terrible?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Its Cassell time. 10 years after he replaced another stellar QB.

BrianInLA
    Participant

No Randy Moss this time. :(

BrianInLA
    Participant

Only 1 eye on the game but maybe the Jets aren’t terrible?

The Lions sure are however. Punt return TD against. Pick 6 against. This might be the most points the Jets have ever scored on the road. But to keep the narrative the Jets are still Tomato Cans and the Lions are Tomato Cans -1 because no other team that the Pats beat can ever be any good.

Bill Brasky
    Participant

Lions Fucking Suck

Lefty

Lions suck tonight.  Out of position all over the field, over pursuing, just completely inept.    Coach Matt is in for a long week

Bill Brasky
    Participant

Who sucks more this week, 27 year old rookie Jimmy G or #FirePatricia ?

jforb
    Participant

When baseball writers who don’t pay any attention to football can’t figure out how you got there

Big Fat O
    Participant

I was expecting a bit more out of Coach Matt. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Breer is perfect for Kings spot. He knows less than King and King knew nothing.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rams :lol:   :lol:

Half the company had Rams jerseys on today. I think I’ve seen maybe 2 at a workplace since moving here. No place does bandwagon like LA.

Also a few Jets jerseys which I found odd. I asked about it and it was because these fans were huge USC fans so they are now Jets fans. That just seems like a lot of work rooting for a team you know nothing about because of 1 guy and where he played college ball.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar