Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/10/18 DAILY Thread

This topic contains 108 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

Great news! Giardi going over the tape of the Pats game!

I thought the Bears coach failed Trubisky. Even after the Packers went ahead, the Bears were still in good position: 2:08 left, two timeouts and the two minute warning, and a field goal wins it. There’s no reason whatsoever to call downfield strikes, but that’s what they were doing.

In earlier games, teams were coming back by accepting underneath options. Most of Garoppolo’s completions were to his tight end and backs going into the flat after blocking. Rivers was getting 15-yard chunks taking what was there. Both comebacks failed, but they were both down double digits to start.

After Matthews’ fourth down fuckup (and I was praying the Bears would win at that point), they still had a minute thirty left with the ball at their own 34 and both timeouts. So some 35 yards to go with plenty of time left. They could use the whole playbook, even running a couple times. Instead Trubisky is throwing 50-50 balls to Robinson and Burton.

Just a very undisciplined team to watch.

Participant

Great news! Giardi going over the tape of the Pats game!

Plus – TheBaseballPaper was kind enough to post a “How former Patriots did around the league” story.

I am still waiting for the Jon Lester one for the Sox

Coma
    Participant

I’m writing all this after only seeing a highlight of the Gronkowski catch near the end of the first half once on a small screen, but I’m not sure if that makes any difference:

There’s a little brouhaha in the media about Gronk’s catch in final minutes of the first half, why it wasn’t reviewed and why the Texans didn’t call a TO to give the officials a chance to review the play. PFT has 4 articles on the topic while articles on USA Today and CBS Sports wondering if the Patriots “got away with one” and benefited from the slow response by the NFL Review HQ.

Last year, one of the things I always saw in the comments about replay was that it takes too long and hurts the flow of the game. Also, during the discussion of the catch rule, the general sentiment was that if it looked like a catch, then it should be. It didn’t matter if the ball hit the ground or the receiver was still juggling it while he stepped out of bounds. As the commissioner said, “People want to see catches.” Yesterday, there was a “close” play with a Patriots receiver making a catch, but it looked like a catch in real time and there was no review. All of a sudden, the people who hated the time consuming, frame by frame reviews and welcomed the less stringent standards of the new catch rule are saying “We didn’t want it to apply to that team! It should only be for their opponents!”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Callahan not on the morning show again.  He works less than any of the politicians he hates.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Personally, I think Gronk always had a hand under the ball.

Lebron
    Participant

You got me on the pay no fuckin’ mind list Lebron?

2 minutes apart, which in today’s board time is practically simultaneous.

Lefty

I’m writing all this after only seeing a highlight of the Gronkowski catch near the end of the first half once on a small screen, but I’m not sure if that makes any difference:

There’s a little brouhaha in the media about Gronk’s catch in final minutes of the first half, why it wasn’t reviewed and why the Texans didn’t call a TO to give the officials a chance to review the play. PFT has 4 articles on the topic while articles on USA Today and CBS Sports wondering if the Patriots “got away with one” and benefited from the slow response by the NFL Review HQ.

Last year, one of the things I always saw in the comments about replay was that it takes too long and hurts the flow of the game. Also, during the discussion of the catch rule, the general sentiment was that if it looked like a catch, then it should be. It didn’t matter if the ball hit the ground or the receiver was still juggling it while he stepped out of bounds. As the commissioner said, “People want to see catches.” Yesterday, there was a “close” play with a Patriots receiver making a catch, but it looked like a catch in real time and there was no review. All of a sudden, the people who hated the time consuming, frame by frame reviews and welcomed the less stringent standards of the new catch rule are saying “We didn’t want it to apply to that team! It should only be for their opponents!”

I’ll add to this the contradictory role of the broadcasters who are always yelling for the team on offense to “hurry up and snap the ball!” before a review can happen and who are then very critical of teams that don’t move quickly enough and allow a review to happen.

Those same announcers then go on and on about the unfairness of the replay not happening and the other team getting screwed because the replay didn’t happen (usually because team 1 following the announcers’ request and quick snapped the ball.)

Lebron
    Participant

Nice to see America falling for the Aaron Rodgers banana in the tailpipe.  He says he’ll definitely play next week!

RedSeat
    Participant

If the Red Sox win tomorrow, they clinch a playoff spot. Magic number for the division is currently 11. Do they celebrate clinching (at least) the second wildcard?

Lefty

If the Red Sox win tomorrow, they clinch a playoff spot. Magic number for the division is currently 11. Do they celebrate clinching (at least) the second wildcard?

I am not sure if the team will celebrate, but Official Red Sox collectible clinching merchandise will be available in the souvenir shop immediately following tomorrow’s game, if they win!  For just $49.99 you can pick up a commemorative blade of grass from Fenway Gardens in a collector’s case with an accompanying certificate of authenticity!

Suzy
    Participant

I know its early in the season but Fatty’s MMQB or whatever he calls it now is a contender for most Fatty column of the season, complete with a weird bathroom comment.

I don’t have the nerve to Google that pic.  :puke:

Humphrey
    Participant

Re: Reviews

Then you have college football, where the review situation is completely out of hand.

Exhibit A was the BC/Holy Cross game. BC was up big, perhaps 42-0 at the time. HC had second down and 8. Low screen pass to an HC running back, probably 2 yards behind the LOS, guy catches and/or traps it as he’s falling to the ground, so even if caught, play is over. Pass ruled incomplete, did not look like a particularly egregious ruling regardless of the score, etc.

They reviewed the goddamn play for close to 5 minutes before calling it a catch. So 4th and 10 at midfield versus 4th and 8. Ridiculous. No common sense at all. No one on either sideline cared a bit.

Lefty

Re: Reviews

Then you have college football, where the review situation is completely out of hand.

Exhibit A was the BC/Holy Cross game. BC was up big, perhaps 42-0 at the time. HC had second down and 8. Low screen pass to an HC running back, probably 2 yards behind the LOS, guy catches and/or traps it as he’s falling to the ground, so even if caught, play is over. Pass ruled incomplete, did not look like a particularly egregious ruling regardless of the score, etc.

They reviewed the goddamn play for close to 5 minutes before calling it a catch. So 4th and 10 at midfield versus 4th and 8. Ridiculous. No common sense at all. No one on either sideline cared a bit.

This happens in pro games all the time, too because the coaches don’t understand the strategy of replay and think it exists to challenge plays that piss them off.   On opening night, in the first quarter the genius coach of the Eagles went to replay on a completion challenge on a play that made maybe half a foot.   The play was run on first and goal.   Without the challenge, it would be second and goal with a total gained of half a foot from the prior play.    If he WON the challenge, he would be giving them a repeat of first down in a goal to go situation and he would have picked up half a foot as his prize.   He lost it, lost his challenge, and had second and goal from basically the same damned place.    He’s better off having lost it, but really should never have challenged it in the first place.

Yahtzee
    Participant

This was alluded to yesterday.  What % of survivor pools were sunk by the Saints/TB yesterday?

Does a tie typically count as a loss?

Hacksaw
    Participant

this might have been why Earl Weaver was always so angry :ohmy:

I wonder if he ever proposed platooning some of the other members of the bridge club with the crypt keeper here, much like he did with “that cocksucker Lowenstein”

So whats the deal with Earl Weaver and Eddie Van Halen?

Lebron
    Participant

Media is amazing.  Flogging Bill every chance they get over the compensation for Garoppolo or keeping Brady over him

I wouldn’t worry too much about Jimmy Garoppolo’s worst day as a Niner. I don’t think anyone paying attention expected John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan to have the team fixed in 20 months, so it should come as no surprised that the roster isn’t quite where they need it to be yet.

Eh, I wouldn’t worry about it.  Anybody who knows anything, which you clearly don’t, wasn’t expecting him to be great today.  By the way Bill is still stupid and Brady sucks, moron.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

this might have been why Earl Weaver was always so angry :ohmy:

I wonder if he ever proposed platooning some of the other members of the bridge club with the crypt keeper here, much like he did with “that cocksucker Lowenstein”

So whats the deal with Earl Weaver and Eddie Van Halen?

Something about not wanting Flea as the fuckin’ bassist.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Got my 8 year old an entry in a pick ’em game. No spreads, just pick the winners. He went 8-4 yesterday, besting most of the Globe “experts” one would assume.

Nick B
    Participant

Media is amazing. Flogging Bill every chance they get over the compensation for Garoppolo or keeping Brady over him

I wouldn’t worry too much about Jimmy Garoppolo’s worst day as a Niner. I don’t think anyone paying attention expected John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan to have the team fixed in 20 months, so it should come as no surprised that the roster isn’t quite where they need it to be yet.

Eh, I wouldn’t worry about it. Anybody who knows anything, which you clearly don’t, wasn’t expecting him to be great today. By the way Bill is still stupid and Brady sucks, moron.

they were flogging TB12 last week for his now saying that he might not make it to 45.

chicowalker
    Participant

Jimmy G is also not a rookie, he’s about to turn 27, in his 5th season, making 20% of their cap.  He really doesn’t have a ton of “learning the ropes” wiggle room

BrianInLA
    Participant

The media bouncing from Binky to Binky is annoying as heck. First Jimmy G is the saviour!! Oh, he played bad. Nevermind. Then it was Khalil Mack is the new saviour of the Bears. Bringing back the ’85 Bears defense!!! Wait, they blew a 20 point lead late including giving up a 75 yard catch and run? Oh, well, skip that. Either way Pats suck!!!

I also think Romo must have killed some brain cells in the offseason. He was far more annoying than I previously remember.

On another note Arod practically begging Kinlser to bunt late last night was funny. He had to have spent 20 minutes talking about how no one bunts anymore and how the Sox are 2nd to last in bunting. Since they lead the league in runs scored by a hefty margin (48 more than the Yankees) maybe they’re on to something there Bub. Granted Kinsler, Swihart and Vazquez all struck out so it really didn’t matter.

Claude45
    Participant

The media bouncing from Binky to Binky is annoying as heck. First Jimmy G is the saviour!! Oh, he played bad. Nevermind. Then it was Khalil Mack is the new saviour of the Bears. Bringing back the ’85 Bears defense!!! Wait, they blew a 20 point lead late including giving up a 75 yard catch and run? Oh, well, skip that. Either way Pats suck!!!

I also think Romo must have killed some brain cells in the offseason. He was far more annoying than I previously remember.

On another note Arod practically begging Kinlser to bunt late last night was funny. He had to have spent 20 minutes talking about how no one bunts anymore and how the Sox are 2nd to last in bunting. Since they lead the league in runs scored by a hefty margin (48 more than the Yankees) maybe they’re on to something there Bub. Granted Kinsler, Swihart and Vazquez all struck out so it really didn’t matter.

I saw Mack come into the picture at the goal line on that 75 yard TD and all I could think is, thank god he didn’t catch Cobb. I wouldn’t have been able to stomach watching highlights for at least a month. It would have been on a loop.

Lebron
    Participant

According to Baseball Reference, Rodriguez’s last sacrifice bunt was in 1999, so he didn’t put one down for the last 15 years of his career.  Why doesn’t anyone bunt anymore?!?

I seem to recall he was actually bunting for hits when he first joined the Yankees in ’04, think he got off to a brutal start.

Lebron
    Participant

I like how the NFL/NBC is trying to sneak in Giants/Cowboys week 2 instead of week 1.  Good news, you aren’t getting a triple root canal with no anesthesia today!  It’s tomorrow!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar