Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/11/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 3 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Lefty

September 11

Lefty

Jets were saying after the game that they knew the Lions plays and calls and were able to jump routes and stop plays.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Has the first article appeared yet to say that the Lions’ craptastic performance last night is yet another proof that the Belichick coaching tree is barren?   :dry:

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’ve never understood the obsession with coaching trees. Totally different positions so what’s the point?

Plus they’re so subjective.  They call Belichick part of Parcells’ tree when he just as easily could be tied to Ted Marchibroda or Red Miller.

Everybody under Lombardi’s tree were sub-.500 as head coaches.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Corey Coleman and Bennie Fowler are your scrub WR signings du jour.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

If anyone is interested in the hyperlocal sports website’s competition, especially the finances, this Slate article has some info.

The Sports Pages’ New Clothes

According to several sources with direct knowledge of the Athletic’s hiring offers, new hires can earn a bonus of up to a dollar per new subscriber who converts from their established followers. One source told me that high-profile beat writers convert about 10 percent of their social media followers. For a big-market beat writer with, say, 100,000 Twitter followers, that means the Athletic could garner about 10,000 subscribers, or roughly $400,000 a year.

Interviews with more than a dozen people who were offered jobs at the Athletic revealed the salary for beat writers tends to start at about $70,000 a year not including subscriber bonuses, depending on various factors including market size and experience, with many in the six figures. (The Athletic declined to comment on salaries.) Everyone interviewed stated they were offered significant raises over their newspaper salaries. And employing scores of beat writers means paying expenses for their travel with the teams, which can be upward of $30,000 a year for baseball writers who are on the road for 81 regular-season games and about half that for hockey and NBA writers. Most, if not all, writers are on a fixed-term contract, typically two or three years, a very uncommon arrangement for beat writers on staff. (It’s more common for nationally recognized name talent.) For the company, this gives it predictability in controlling costs or shutting down markets that don’t prove profitable. For writers coming from at-will contracts with unpredictable ownership in a dwindling industry, two years of a high, guaranteed salary can feel like a blessing.

According to the company, Chicago, its first market, has more than 30,000 subscribers and is profitable, which the company says is a useful example of a market’s potential because most of the Athletic’s other local sites have existed for less than a year. Although the company declined to provide any specifics on revenue or average subscription rates, which can vary widely depending on which of the various introductory offers a subscriber takes advantage of, the most common figure analysts have used when ballparking the company’s finances is about $40 per subscriber per year. This would mean the Athletic Chicago alone brings in at least $1.2 million in annual revenue. Plus, the pricing structure incentivizes readers to pay for the full year upfront, giving the company immediate cash on hand to invest in attracting more subscribers.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Feejis
    Participant

McQuaid traded to NYR. Who knew Steven Kampfer was still valuable in the league?

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Has our friend Joe posted #mantears yet for his boy Quaider?

Coma
    Participant

Jets were saying after the game that they knew the Lions plays and calls and were able to jump routes and stop plays.

Why would anyone on the Jets admit that? I’ve been told for over a decade that figuring out your opponents signals is the greatest crime in the history of human competition.

To tie up an item from last evening, Cooks finished as the Rams leading receiver. He must have had a big second half. I didn’t stay up for the game, but I saw a headline this morning along the lines of “Carr ruins Gruden’s Return.” Carr had 3 INTS and no TDs, but couldn’t the story also be “Gruden Causes Carr to Regress”?

Lebron
    Participant

Carr wasn’t very good last year was he?  Still, hearing Gruden talk about Carr and how everything revolves around and is being built around him sounds crazy.

So ESPN throws McFarland on one of those hydraulic lifts on the field?  Is that going to be the schtick?

Lebron
    Participant

Fowler had the dropsies here, but for some reason Peyton liked him so he stayed on the roster.

Claude45
    Participant

If I’m in the media and have been lapped by Breer, get the noose ready. Have some semblance of pride and self-respect. He’s a grade A moron and douchebag frat bro. It appears nobody likes the spoiled prick personally. He has never broken a story. Biggest professional accomplishment was sitting in a lawn chair.

The next time Shank brags about being at the top of his profession, I’ll remind him that Breer is the preeminent football writer in the country. Shank is the tomato can to Breer.

Participant

Speaking of Dan.

“As the years have unfolded, the Patriots have become less talented, less deep, and less dominant, but it does not matter. New England can no longer overwhelm teams on sheer ability.”

It’s almost as if he doesn’t watch at all….

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Jets-gate! The Commissioner is all over it! The truth will be uncovered!

GusChiggins
    Participant

That’s some clunky writing – it does not matter to what?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Relitigating the Garoppolo trade after every quarter of football for the next five seasons doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lefty

Trading McQuaid and getting back Kampfer put the Bruins about $5.5 million under the cap,  as they gain a little over $2M through this deal.

I wonder if that means Rick Nash is coming back, or if some other UFA might be in the works.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Relitigating the Garoppolo trade after every quarter of football for the next five seasons doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun.

It will be an improvement over the folks doing it after every play.

Feejis
    Participant

Trading McQuaid and getting back Kampfer put the Bruins about $5.5 million under the cap, as they gain a little over $2M through this deal.

I wonder if that means Rick Nash is coming back, or if some other UFA might be in the works.

Can’t imagine any remaining UFAs that would command much of that cap space.

Participant

Eddie Murrow survived the blitz, Tommy Rinaldi survived a US Open interview – like equals right fatty?

d. Man, that trophy presentation had to be the toughest assignment of Tom Rinaldi’s life.

Humphrey
    Participant

Speaking of Dan.

“As the years have unfolded, the Patriots have become less talented, less deep, and less dominant, but it does not matter. New England can no longer overwhelm teams on sheer ability.”

I think at this point it’s just a bot writing nearly all his columns and tweets, they all follow the same formula.

Lebron
    Participant

Eddie Murrow survived the blitz, Tommy Rinaldi survived a US Open interview – like equals right fatty?

d. Man, that trophy presentation had to be the toughest assignment of Tom Rinaldi’s life.

Rinaldi is the worst.  If you watch him after any on court/on field interview he tries to personally engage with the player, like slap him on the shoulder or some kind of joke.  He did that with Nadal and Federer that I saw at the Open.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Speaking of Dan.

I think at this point it’s just a bot writing nearly all his columns and tweets, they all follow the same formula.

All tomato cans and popping of pants. Why not talk with opposing coaches to find out the challenges of playing the Pats. That’d be work compared to coming up with something ‘catchy’ like Foxboro Flop.

All tomato cans and popping of pants. Why not talk with opposing coaches to find out the challenges of playing the Pats. That’d be work compared to coming up with something ‘catchy’ like Foxboro Flop.

Why should he? He’s got the easiest gig in the world. Bitch about the local teams, regardless of how they’re doing, and wait for people to get pissed off. Somehow, this is valuable to the Globe.

I’m convinced any one of us could write a Shank column that sounds like the genuine article. That’s how easy the job is.

Feejis
    Participant

Did NASCL solve this Dallas police officer murder case yet?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Speaking of Dan.

Despite what dumbass corporate & marketing execs believe, not  everyone can write.

However, even newbies and AI bots know not to endlessly regurgitate “tomato can.” It’s a giveaway. For Shank, it’s another killer-catch-phrase in the making.

Lebron
    Participant

Tyler Seguin.  Partying has gotten wayyyy out of hand.

Lefty

Trading McQuaid and getting back Kampfer put the Bruins about $5.5 million under the cap, as they gain a little over $2M through this deal.

Can’t imagine any remaining UFAs that would command much of that cap space.

That’s why I am assuming Nash.  Other UFA’s aren’t worth that cash.  I could easily argue Nash isn’t, either.   But coming off an AAV of $7.5M, he’s going to want at least something in the mid-fours to play anywhere.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nice win at Fenway tonight. Not stress free but nice.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar