Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/16/19 – 9/22/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 192 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Will this spell the end of Tomlin as the HC or this just give him another excuse allowing him to hang around another year.

Tomlin’s sort of a lame duck, so this might indeed be true. But the Steelers haven’t fired a coach since 1968 (Bill Austin out, Noll in) and may prefer to give Tomlin an extra couple of years after 2021 to see if he can right the ship with a new QB. Granted, Noll had four SBs on his resume, but the Rooneys sat on their hands for the last seven years of his tenure while the team went 51-60 and made the playoffs only once (going 1-1 in 1989).

Was in North Conway over the weekend for a family wedding and stopped in a downtown coffee place on our way home. Guy walks in with his wife and young kids and both dad and two of the kids (grade school age at most) are dressed in full Steeler regalia. :ohmy: :lol:   What are the chances he was not a transplanted Yinzer but a front-running New England native?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’ve now seen “Trade Eli to the Steelers (or Saints)” takes. Please! That’d be hilarious.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

What are the odds Rudolph becomes the starter for this year and beyond?

I’m staying 70/30.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Seinfeld to Netflix in 2021

Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but since the rights are for worldwide distribution, Netflix paid far more than the $500 million NBCUniversal paid for “The Office,” and the $425 million WarnerMedia shelled out for “Friends,”people familiar with the deal said. Both of those five-year deals were for streaming rights in the U.S. only.

Larry David is now well beyond FU money.

jforb
    Participant

I’ve now seen “Trade Eli to the Steelers (or Saints)” takes. Please! That’d be hilarious.

Only if the Giants screw up any picks they acquire.

Nick B
    Participant

when will fatty and rest of the losers start with “the Steelers or Saints should bring in Colin Caepernick for a look?”

Coma
    Participant

In eight days, the Ravens have taken ownership, basically undisputed, of the AFC North

Hmmm, sounds like a tomato can division. Of course the Browns have a good chance tonight to win and be 1-1 so how a 1 game lead 2 games in to the season translates to ‘basically undisputed ownership’ is nonsensical. Pete must be a great baseball fan, probably gives up around opening day if the Red Sox lose.

I was thinking about this in terms of the Patriots defense, but it applies to the Ravens too. It seems like every few years a team gets off to a historic start offensively or defensively and people lose their minds  projecting out how they will allow a record low number of points or yards/score a record number of points. Most of the time, injuries take their toll, opposing teams find a way to counter this record setting unit and they aren’t as effective in December as they were in September.

If I was the most prominent NFL writer in the country, I’d be aware of this and be able to cite examples of it happening. I’d praise the Ravens for their performance in the first 2 weeks but realize it’s beyond foolish to claim they’ve locked up their division on 9/15.

3 users thanked author for this post.

The way they’re gonna take down Brown is with a preponderance of evidence of him being an asshole and scumbag. Just enough public cover for Goodell to do his exempt list thing.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I think the Bills may actually be good this season. For the sake of discussion, I’ll define “good” as “likely to make the playoffs this season”.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I think the Bills may actually be good this season. For the sake of discussion, I’ll define “good” as “likely to make the playoffs this season”.

54% chance as of today per 538.

Allen has now thrown for more than 200 yards in 7 straight games, which sadly makes him the first Bills QB to do so since Kelly.

I like where they’re headed.  Defense is playing superbly, aside from yesterday’s opening drive.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Danny Duberstein. Reason: Revised up to 57%

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

So now there are stories that the Steelers knew Rothlisberger had elbow issues last week but failed to disclose it on the injury report. :wag:

Lebron
    Participant

They also haven’t addressed any specifics with the injury, of course Bill would be crucified and Jesus Christ what a piece of shit not answering to the media.  Tomlin’s their buddy though.

Lebron
    Participant

Reading Grand Theft Klemko’s piece on Brown.  I don’t cotton to shortchanging or stiffing vendors but this is the same industry that got a case of the meat sweats over the mere mention of Joe DiMaggio.  And this

and a phone call between Brown and coach Jon Gruden illegally recorded and edited for social media publication by Brown

For fuck’s sake we’re how many days past Gruden saying he consented to the call being recorded.  It wasn’t illegal.

The Patriots, for their part, seem to have done little to no vetting of the receiver before signing him. (Through a spokesperson, the Patriots declined comment for this story.)

I got no comment from the Patriots but I’m just going to speculate on their vetting process.  This is what passes for long form/investigative reporting.  And I lost count of the number of people who either didn’t comment or didn’t return Grand Theft’s calls.  Put another Pulitzer on the board.

chicowalker
    Participant

The true LOL Bills moment will be them going 11-5 or so and, because the Pats are 15-1 or 16-0, still not getting a home playoff game and being forced to play the saturday 4pm wild card game at 8-8 Tennessee or whatever

chicowalker
    Participant

Patriots- refuse to give anything other than superficial response to issue that media/fanz are apoplectic about, but strangely has not resulted in arrest/indictment/suspension

Klemko-

Coma
    Participant

So now there are stories that the Steelers knew Rothlisberger had elbow issues last week but failed to disclose it on the injury report. :wag:

Eh, the NFL still hasn’t finished their investigation into the Steelers hiding Lev Bell’s injury heading into the 2016 AFCCG. We’ll have to wait for that one to finish (or start) before they look into Pittsburgh dishonoring the injury report by not mentioning Roethlisberger’s injury.

I can’t see how Steelers fans can be that surprised that Ben suffered a season ending injury. For more than a decade, they’ve watched him leave the field limping or clutching a body part only to see him come back later that game or the following week like nothing was wrong. He’s been overdue to actually miss significant time with an injury.

jforb
    Participant

Missed this one earlier

I’m impressed that, living in Brooklyn now, you can find a great selection of so many regional beers at almost every bar/restaurant in the neighborhood, by the way.

Coma
    Participant

Reading Grand Theft Klemko’s piece on Brown. I don’t cotton to shortchanging or stiffing vendors but this is the same industry that got a case of the meat sweats over the mere mention of Joe DiMaggio. And this

and a phone call between Brown and coach Jon Gruden illegally recorded and edited for social media publication by Brown

For fuck’s sake we’re how many days past Gruden saying he consented to the call being recorded. It wasn’t illegal.

The Patriots, for their part, seem to have done little to no vetting of the receiver before signing him. (Through a spokesperson, the Patriots declined comment for this story.)

I got no comment from the Patriots but I’m just going to speculate on their vetting process. This is what passes for long form/investigative reporting. And I lost count of the number of people who either didn’t comment or didn’t return Grand Theft’s calls. Put another Pulitzer on the board.

I guess the “illegal recording” is the new “Lee Evans dropped the ball.”

Regarding the second point, I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I saw a story that Brown and his accuser had agreed not to discuss the potential lawsuit while they negotiated a potential settlement. If that’s true and the Patriots asked Brown if he was aware of any legal issues he might be involved in, he couldn’t mention the rape civil lawsuit. How can you fault the Patriots vetting process if Brown couldn’t disclose the biggest potential issue related to signing him?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

There’s a wide variety of available products in New York City? Fucking amazing.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:I know a few places in Cranston where you can get almost exclusively RI/new England beers.  Like a baby brooklyn!

GusChiggins
    Participant

Missed this one earlier

I’m impressed that, living in Brooklyn now, you can find a great selection of so many regional beers at almost every bar/restaurant in the neighborhood, by the way.

:lol: he’s better than a parody.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Reading Grand Theft Klemko’s piece on Brown. I don’t cotton to shortchanging or stiffing vendors but this is the same industry that got a case of the meat sweats over the mere mention of Joe DiMaggio. And this

For fuck’s sake we’re how many days past Gruden saying he consented to the call being recorded. It wasn’t illegal.

I got no comment from the Patriots but I’m just going to speculate on their vetting process. This is what passes for long form/investigative reporting. And I lost count of the number of people who either didn’t comment or didn’t return Grand Theft’s calls. Put another Pulitzer on the board.

I guess the “illegal recording” is the new “Lee Evans dropped the ball.”

Regarding the second point, I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I saw a story that Brown and his accuser had agreed not to discuss the potential lawsuit while they negotiated a potential settlement. If that’s true and the Patriots asked Brown if he was aware of any legal issues he might be involved in, he couldn’t mention the rape civil lawsuit. How can you fault the Patriots vetting process if Brown couldn’t disclose the biggest potential issue related to signing him?

If the Pats still had those local guys on the payroll, they would’ve known. More arrogance.

Given that all Brown’s sins occurred while he was a Steeler, I’m assuming nobody’s seen any “What did the Steelers know, and when did they know it?” articles about Brown out there.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

The way they’re gonna take down Brown is with a preponderance of evidence of him being an asshole and scumbag. Just enough public cover for Goodell to do his exempt list thing.

It’s at the point where the league has to do something, right? Think about the ramifications of the NFL interviewing Brown’s accuser. If they speak with her and then take no action against Brown, that damages her lawsuit. His attorney is going to say “My client’s employer spoke with the plaintiff and declined to take any action against him afterwards. Why should he be liable to pay her as a result of this suit if he doesn’t even need to sit out a football game?”

Really, the league’s involving itself hurts one party or the other. If they don’t suspend Brown, that helps his case. If they do suspend Brown, that strengthens the plaintiff’s case.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

His attorney is going to say “My client’s employer spoke with the plaintiff and declined to take any action against him afterwards. Why should he be liable to pay her as a result of this suit if he doesn’t even need to sit out a football game?”.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure this doesn’t work on a judge. It’s the Court’s job to decide on the evidence. They’re not going to take the NFL clown-car investigations into account when deciding if there’s enough evidence to conclude if she’s being truthful. His employer interviewing her for one day isn’t going to carry weight when the trial rolls around.

It’s not up to his private employer to decide that she’s telling the truth by not letting him come to work.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar