Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/16/19 – 9/22/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 192 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Participant

Based on their record of the last 18 years – would think that the examples of players doing things THE WRONG WAY are few and far between.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

What the hell is the ‘right way’ anyhow, and further how would Bedard know if Dorsett does things that way?  He has no idea.

Lefty

I think it would be really funny is Miami, which has a ton Of upcoming first round picks, met Jacksonville’s demand and traded for Jalen Ramsay.   Ramsay would have a stroke.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

A mixed bag reaction on my Phillip Dorsett column from yesterday. C’est la vie. I don’t write to be popular or for the approval of Twitter eggs or those with Patriots avatars, I write what I think with 20 years of experience covering this league. And, if anything, I don’t root for the cloth, I root for the players that do things the right way. And if Dorsett goes from playing 80 percent of the snaps to 12 percent to make room for some unstable flavor of the month, only to be asked to save the team’s bacon again, I just think that’s wrong. And you can’t compare this to Amendola, who played more snaps when healthy.

Guessing mixed bag means absolutely no positive comments

Also

I wouldn’t call Wynn a bust yet or anything yet. Sometimes young players just go through this and then they’re durable the rest of the way.

Almost-A-Coach thinks demanding a trade because you’re playing time is reduced is doing “things the right way?” That runs counter to the concepts of sacrificing for the good of the team and being ready when your number is called.

I didn’t read Bedard’s article, but did he mention what he thought Dorsett’s trade value is? I’m not Almost-A-GM, but I think a 6th round pick is probably fair. What’s the Patriots motivation to move a dependable player who, depending on league disciplinary decisions, may play a bigger role later in the season for a late round pick? Also, Coach Craig didn’t say that Dorsett should demand a trade when he was behind Cooks, Gronkowski, Hogan and Amendola two years ago. Or last year, when he was behind Gronkowski, Edelman, Gordon and Hogan. Now, though, when he’s the #4 receiver and is heading toward his most productive season as a Patriot and possibly his career, now is when he should start making waves and ask to be traded.

There’s a story to be told about Dorsett and his role, but “He should get away from the Patriots” ain’t it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

The Eli hall of fame talk is basically saying don’t look at his regular season stuff just look at these 2 postseasons.  Which I get some guys get in on ‘look over here not over there’ pretenses.  But that’s the basic argument, only look at these 2 postseasons over his 14 or 15 year career.  These 8 games.  That’s it.  He’s got the 2 Soupey MVPs which is a rare group.  But then you hear about guys like Plunkett with 2 Soupeys or guys like Seifert and Flores but then they get the ‘yeah but the Seattle/Carolina years’ well why aren’t they getting the ‘look here not there’ treatment as well?

Also got me thinking if Tony Dungy is in the hall why isn’t Bill Cowher?  Same Soupey titles, Cowher has an additional appearance, and Cowher’s regular season records are certainly good enough.  Cowher is only one of six coaches to have won 7 division titles.

6 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Eli only won a playoff game in those 2 Super Bowl seasons. Thats 13 or so other seasons without a playoff victory. The fact that people are even debating this is comical. He would have, by far, the worst stats of any QB to be elected to the Hall. If he gets in based on 2 playoff runs then does Edelman also? Having said all of that Eli had very little to do with either of those wins as well all know. It wasn’t like he had a Brady vs Atlanta come from 28-3 to throw for 600 yards in the second half and totally kill it. He had a great defense that was able to shut down the best offense in football. THAT gets him into the Hall Of Fame?

Ryan Clark was great on ESPN this morning ripping some guy (forget who it was) for saying Cam’s career is over while saying that Eli is going out basically on top. Clark was having none of it and went off saying how Eli ruined the Giants team for years to come and how its stupid that Eli always gets a pass for being such a shitty QB.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Pokes released Taco Charlton, a first round pick in 2017.  I’m assuming the media will be all over this much like when Bill moves on from a 2nd round pick and how shitty of a selector of players he is.  A few years earlier they moved up to get Morris Claiborne in the draft and he blew.  Not sure if he’s even still in the league.

jforb
    Participant

Lou talking about the time he was hit in the head with a pitch and didn’t feel right for 3 months. Wasn’t he one of the ones complaining about players taking too long to recover?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

CC Sabathia won 66 games as a Yankee – naturally he’s hall worthy according to the espn people

EDIT:  I’m an idiot.

Good night.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  02062.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Lou talking about the time he was hit in the head with a pitch and didn’t feel right for 3 months. Wasn’t he one of the ones complaining about players taking too long to recover?

The way Futility Lou talks you would think he was Nomar and not his coat holder since his expectations exceed his level of skill.

The worst part of this Brown saga is most of the media are rooting for Brown to be suspended or released so they can tell everyone they were right.

BB keeps forgetting to run all these moves by the media experts prior to signing. Thankfully BB wants to win games and not appease the media.

Humphrey
    Participant

Eli only won a playoff game in those 2 Super Bowl seasons. Thats 13 or so other seasons without a playoff victory. The fact that people are even debating this is comical. He would have, by far, the worst stats of any QB to be elected to the Hall. If he gets in based on 2 playoff runs then does Edelman also? Having said all of that Eli had very little to do with either of those wins as well all know. It wasn’t like he had a Brady vs Atlanta come from 28-3 to throw for 600 yards in the second half and totally kill it. He had a great defense that was able to shut down the best offense in football. THAT gets him into the Hall Of Fame?

Ryan Clark was great on ESPN this morning ripping some guy (forget who it was) for saying Cam’s career is over while saying that Eli is going out basically on top. Clark was having none of it and went off saying how Eli ruined the Giants team for years to come and how its stupid that Eli always gets a pass for being such a shitty QB.

Worse stats than Joe Namath; who doesn’t belong there either?

Lebron
    Participant

I told a buddy of mine Namath got in for less.  Plus he’s a Manning.

I can’t believe that Adams got fined for that ‘hit’ on Mayfield.  That’s absurd.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Doesn’t seem like there’s much noise around Jerry Jones not following the rules for negotiation. I guess the main thing is he got him in a room.

Feejis
    Participant

I told a buddy of mine Namath got in for less. Plus he’s a Manning.

I can’t believe that Adams got fined for that ‘hit’ on Mayfield. That’s absurd.

It was a dumb late hit but agreed. The 15 yards is enough. Unless they just fine everyone who gets an unsportsmanlike penalty?

Nick B
    Participant

What a Effing Tool

Dolphins LB says ref told him to ‘stay off Tom’ after a legal hit on Tom Brady

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dolphins-lb-says-ref-told-him-to-stay-off-tom-after-a-legal-hit-on-tom-brady/ar-AAHuL5T?li=BBnbfcL

Lebron
    Participant

They seem to be emphasizing the ‘full weight’ aspect of hitting quarterbacks.  In the Broncos/Bears game both teams got flagged for what seemed to be legitimate hits on QBs but they put their ‘full weight’ when landing on the quarterback.  I cannot believe they expect players to control that.  It’s not like they’re flying off the top rope a la Superfly Snuka.

Lebron
    Participant

So the Yankees placed Domingo German on leave for domestic violence, but no details or charges as of yet.

That Pirates reliever can’t have enough bad things happen to him.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Waiting for the New York version of Shank to pen a column called The Yankees Have Lost Their Way. Who stands in for Myra Kraft as the Symbol of Rectitude Past?  Jeter?

:lol:

The guy who runs this YouTube channel says this clip is proof of the Colts tanking in 2011. It’s Pat McAfee saying the front office was “obviously trying to do it”:

The YouTuber even started one of those stupid petitions to try to get the commissioner to punish the Colts. Obviously the opinion of an idiot punter hardly constitutes proof, but I do like anything that alleges the Colts cheated.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Everyone already knows they did it. It’s just that nobody cares. As long as the coaches and players aren’t trying to lose on purpose, nothing can be done. And you can’t prove that anyway. It’s also unlikely because players still play at full-speed even if they suck. The front office can gut the roster and there’s no penalty for that. Just the way it is.

Lefty

Everyone already knows they did it. It’s just that nobody cares. As long as the coaches and players aren’t trying to lose on purpose, nothing can be done. And you can’t prove that anyway. It’s also unlikely because players still play at full-speed even if they suck. The front office can gut the roster and there’s no penalty for that. Just the way it is.

Which is why I enjoy Luck’s early retirement.   They justified all this bs by assuming they would have Luck for years and they would dominate.  Between Luck’s injuries and his retirement, it didn’t pan out as planned.

Lebron
    Participant

Tanking isn’t new or uncommon.  NBA is big on it, hell look at the Astros, a prime example of the appeal of tanking.  The only way you eliminate tanking or at least make it incredibly unpleasant is to say if you reach a certain threshold of losses you don’t qualify for revenue share.  Like I’d love to see baseball say if you lose 100 games no revenue share.  Or in the NFL you get no revenue share at 2-14 and if you go below 2-14 you have to pay a fine.  You’d get owners in locker rooms killing guys.  Two years in a row and you lose a pick, maybe not the first but a second or something like that.

I think the bigger thing would be if McAfee talked about that game where the Colts rolled over and the Titans got in the playoffs, old pal Dungy doing old pal Fisher a solid.  Then you’d have something.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Waiting for the New York version of Shank to pen a column called The Yankees Have Lost Their Way. Who stands in for Myra Kraft as the Symbol of Rectitude Past? Jeter?

:lol:

Let’s not rush to judgment here, perhaps they lost their version of Easterby.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Joe Suck is all ready for P-Town with his red lipstick.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Kimbrel may put the nail in the coffin for Genius Joe and Theo in Chicago.

Jesus – Indians went 18-1 vs Detroit this year.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Yahtzee.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar