Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/16/19 – 9/22/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 192 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Everyone already knows they did it. It’s just that nobody cares. As long as the coaches and players aren’t trying to lose on purpose, nothing can be done. And you can’t prove that anyway. It’s also unlikely because players still play at full-speed even if they suck. The front office can gut the roster and there’s no penalty for that. Just the way it is.

Which is why I enjoy Luck’s early retirement. They justified all this bs by assuming they would have Luck for years and they would dominate. Between Luck’s injuries and his retirement, it didn’t pan out as planned.

Says you:

4 users thanked author for this post.

The commish should have enough public cover now to put Brown on the exempt list.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Did AB really copy his lawyer while sending vaguely threatening and menacing text messages? :blink: He’s dumber than Zolak.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Did AB really copy his lawyer while sending vaguely threatening and menacing text messages? :blink: He’s dumber than Zolak.

Sal The Stockbroker: “He was using attorney-client-victim privilege so it can’t be used against him.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I hope Harry is healthy and ready to go in Week 8, because I think there will be a WR vacancy for him to fill.

:ozzy:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

With Wynn and Harry assuming the both of the ‘return from IR’ slots the Pats better hope nobody else key to their success end up on IR. Wynn sees sure to come off Harry may end up having to stay if somebody else goes down the next few weeks.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Did AB really copy his lawyer while sending vaguely threatening and menacing text messages? :blink:He’s dumber than Zolak.

Let’s not go overboard here.

Big Fat O
    Participant

BB may be waiting for the Adolf Goodell to rule before he does anything. None of this looks good, but BBs job is to win games.

I swear if this was any other team to would all blown over by now.

Participant

“He was then asked if any player could become too much of a distraction, and he stormed off.”

Hacksaw
    Participant

Brown has been released.

Coma
    Participant

Brown has been released.

Media: But what will we talk about now?!?

I would not be surprised if some league sanctions are announced later today or tomorrow. If they aren’t, I wonder if any team will sign Brown?

Going back to what Big Fat O said (“I swear if this was any other team to would all blown over by now.”), the biggest error Brown made was sitting out last year’s season finale and turning the Steelers against him. I’m not saying that to minimize the rape allegations or anything else, but none of his transgressions as a member of the Steelers ever got as much attention as they did in New England. For example, the incident and resulting lawsuit from when he threw furniture out of an apartment window happened last summer. I remember the thread PatsFans where posters wondered when the league was going to step in, but it never became a big story. Put Brown on the Patriots for 2 weeks and LoveKlemko frames it as “He almost killed a toddler!” I’m pretty sure that, if Brown was still a member of the Steelers, the rape lawsuit never becomes public.

One final note: Fuck Ross Tucker. I saw some clip of him saying he would openly root against the Patriots as long as Brown was playing for them. I guess it’s nice to know that Tucker roots for or against different teams, as long as his rooting interest are available to view somewhere when reading his articles or listening to his analysis. More egregious, though, was him saying he played 2 seasons for the Patriots. Tucker joined the Patriots in December of 2005 and was traded in August of 2006. Saying that he played in New England for two seasons is generous to the point of being false. It reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Mickey Rooney told Bart that he was the #1 box office draw from 1939 to 1940 and Bart responds with “Wow, spanning 2 decades!”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Ross Tucker is a fraud’s fraud.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I would not have guessed Eli has made the most money in NFL history at $252 million. Not sure who I would have thought made more (Brees, Rodgers maybe) but definitely not Eli.

I’m glad they beat the league to the punch with this. The last thing they needed was a week-to-week ordeal, with the sword of Damocles hanging over them, and waiting for the next allegation (real or imagined) to pop up.

In contrast to the picture the shrieking fishwives are painting, he’s not the worst guy to be employed in the NFL, nor do his crimes (real or imagined) come close to some of the shit others have had expunged from their public personas.

But he’s an unapologetic, self-entitled, self-absorbed asshole. And a stupid one at that. Let him go be somebody else’s distraction.

Coma
    Participant

I wonder if all the huge, lifelong Pats fans on Twitter who renounced their allegiance to the team because of Brown are going to come back now?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I would not have guessed Eli has made the most money in NFL history at $252 million. Not sure who I would have thought made more (Brees, Rodgers maybe) but definitely not Eli.

The counterfeit memorabilia put him over the top!

5 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

But he’s an unapologetic, self-entitled, self-absorbed asshole. And a stupid one at that. Let him go be somebody else’s distraction.

He might not be anyone’s at this point.

You know it had to be bad, because I guarantee the ground rules were absolutely laid out when he signed. Do NOT do X, Y, Z. And he just couldn’t help himself. He ditched 20M with the Raiders and blew 9M here (and maybe a ring) because he wanted to bitch at some woman who wasn’t even the feature of the article that slagged him, and she wasn’t really accusing him of anything.

Shit goes away if you just keep your mouth shut, and with 9m on the table he couldn’t do it. Not only that, but Rosenhaus had to tell him that if he fucked up here, it would look really bad and he might not get another job. (“Even the Patriots couldn’t deal with him. What chance does anyone else have?”)

Didn’t matter. Couldn’t even follow obvious off-the-field rules for 2 weeks. I’d like to say ‘lesson learned” for him, but I doubt it.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Someone predicted it last week, but Beckham’s one handed TD catch from 2014 came in at #16 in the NFL Top 100 Plays countdown. It ranked ahead of the “Sea of Hands” catch that won a division playoff game for the Raiders(#17), Vinatieri’s game tying kick in the Snow Bowl (#18), Ameche’s game winning TD in the “Greatest Game Ever Played (#19),” Riggins’ TD run against the Raiders in the Super Bowl (#20), John Taylor’s Super Bowl winning catch (#21) and Edelman’s catching that deflected pass an inch from the turf against the Falcons (#22).

Beckham’s catch was impressive and deserves to be on the list somewhere, but you’ll notice that the plays before it were from playoff games, a championship game and Super Bowls. The Beckham catch was from a regular season game that the Giants lost at home to Dallas. It’s nuts that that’s in the top 20 all time plays.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Upton Bell is not well:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Mildly surprised that the Helmet Catch wasn’t #1. I’d have lost money on a bet.

My biggest regret for the Antonio Brown 1 game career is that if he could only play 1 game with the Pats it was wasted on the worst team in football. It would have been much more satisfying if the only game he played was Kansas City, and his contribution put the team over the top and it determined playoff Home Field Advantage. That would have annoyed everyone so much more.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Upton Bell is not well:

It’s like arguing with my elderly mother. It’s not that she forgets things, it’s that she remembers everything wrong, and with confidence.

He still thinks he’s sitting around that table with that pontificating prude Joe Fitz and senile Tim Horgan.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

The Foles TD was top 15.  Come on.  A pass to the QB has been a play since forever.  Hell Brady pulled that in the last regular season game at Foxboro Stadium.

Upton Bell is not well:

It’s like arguing with my elderly mother. It’s not that she forgets things, it’s that she remembers everything wrong, and with confidence.

He still thinks he’s sitting around that table with that pontificating prude Joe Fitz and senile Tim Horgan.

Exactly:

Coma
    Participant

Mildly surprised that the Helmet Catch wasn’t #1. I’d have lost money on a bet.

My biggest regret for the Antonio Brown 1 game career is that if he could only play 1 game with the Pats it was wasted on the worst team in football. It would have been much more satisfying if the only game he played was Kansas City, and his contribution put the team over the top and it determined playoff Home Field Advantage. That would have annoyed everyone so much more.

That would just set the stage for Fairness Bowl II – This Time It’s Personal

Coma
    Participant

The Foles TD was top 15. Come on. A pass to the QB has been a play since forever. Hell Brady pulled that in the last regular season game at Foxboro Stadium.

Reasons to put the Foles TD catch as a top 100 play: It was a TD in a Super Bowl. It was a TD catch by a QB in a Super Bowl. It helped beat the Patriots – that’s not a reason anyone’s going to say, but I believe that played a part.

Reasons why it should be lower: Receny bias. It happened in the first half, so it wasn’t a winning score or even one that put them ahead for good. It was a pass from the one yard line to a wide open receiver. Aside from the normal positions of the players throwing and catching the pass, there’s nothing spectacular about the play.

Some other observations:

I didn’t see it last week, but I swear there was an ad on the NFLN about the 100th season that featured a bunch of memorable moments in league history and the Foles catch and Graham causing Brady to fumble were both in there (Parcells pumping his fist after SB 25 is the only other clip I can remember.) Putting rooting interests aside, it’s seems unfair to put 2 clips from the same game in a 30 second spot that supposed to capture a century of football.

I’m a little surprised that Edelman’s catch in SB49 when he took that hit from Kam Chancellor didn’t make the list. That was a big play at an important time with a high degree of difficulty.

I’m just going off the top of my head, but I think the Edelman catch against the Falcons and the Butler INT were the only positive Patriots SB moments that made the list. Meanwhile, the Tyree catch, the Manningham catch, the Foles TD, and the William Perry TD were all in there.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar