Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/16/19 – 9/22/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 192 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Gimp
    Participant

The Foles TD was top 15. Come on. A pass to the QB has been a play since forever. Hell Brady pulled that in the last regular season game at Foxboro Stadium.

Reasons to put the Foles TD catch as a top 100 play: It was a TD in a Super Bowl. It was a TD catch by a QB in a Super Bowl. It helped beat the Patriots – that’s not a reason anyone’s going to say, but I believe that played a part.

Reasons why it should be lower: Receny bias. It happened in the first half, so it wasn’t a winning score or even one that put them ahead for good. It was a pass from the one yard line to a wide open receiver. Aside from the normal positions of the players throwing and catching the pass, there’s nothing spectacular about the play.

Some other observations:

I didn’t see it last week, but I swear there was an ad on the NFLN about the 100th season that featured a bunch of memorable moments in league history and the Foles catch and Graham causing Brady to fumble were both in there (Parcells pumping his fist after SB 25 is the only other clip I can remember.) Putting rooting interests aside, it’s seems unfair to put 2 clips from the same game in a 30 second spot that supposed to capture a century of football.

I’m a little surprised that Edelman’s catch in SB49 when he took that hit from Kam Chancellor didn’t make the list. That was a big play at an important time with a high degree of difficulty.

I’m just going off the top of my head, but I think the Edelman catch against the Falcons and the Butler INT were the only positive Patriots SB moments that made the list. Meanwhile, the Tyree catch, the Manningham catch, the Foles TD, and the William Perry TD were all in there.

Vinatieri’s Snow Bowl kick to tie the game against the Raiders is #18.  I think that is low as well.

From the sound of things, AB is pretty much FUKT.  He’s a free agent, so technically he can’t be put on the commissioner’s exempt list, because technically he is not a current employee of the league.  But once he (ostensibly) gets signed by someone, he can and probably will be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list, making him ineligible to play for the team that signed him, for an unknown period of time.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

And anyone on the Commissioner’s Exempt List gets paid, so what team would sign him just to pay him and not have his services available? I’d say the Raiders, but they’ve been there, done that.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Beckham’s catch was impressive and deserves to be on the list somewhere, but you’ll notice that the plays before it were from playoff games, a championship game and Super Bowls. The Beckham catch was from a regular season game that the Giants lost at home to Dallas. It’s nuts that that’s in the top 20 all time plays.

The Immaculate Reception is historically overrated, too. It’s mostly fluky luck, the only real skill on the play is Bradshaw evading the sack and Franco having good instincts to not drop it when he’s coincidentally in the right place at the right time. The Steelers lost the next week to Miami anyway. It gets elevated because it was the Steelers first playoff win in decades (fine I guess), but mostly because of ENDLESS Raider bitching about it, which is the only thing Raiders and ex-Raiders appear to know how to do.

The Butler INT is better than that play for every possible reason, and any angle you look at it.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

And anyone on the Commissioner’s Exempt List gets paid, so what team would sign him just to pay him and not have his services available? I’d say the Raiders, but they’ve been there, done that.

The Exempt list is for an ongoing investigation. So teams would be wise to do nothing and let the NFL to finish their probe and then see if he’s officially suspended. Then after that some desperate team could swoop in and sign him for cheap. But that might not happen until next season.

jforb
    Participant

I think I ask someone every time I see the Butler int but has the receiver figured out what happened yet?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Florio thinks Washington is desperate enough to sign Brown and wait out the exempt list. Actually, their GM and owner might be dumb enough to go for this.

:weei:

Lefty

I wonder if the league gave the Patriots a heads up that Brown was going on the commissioner’s list next week so they could cut him before his bonus came due.

Coma
    Participant

Florio thinks Washington is desperate enough to sign Brown and wait out the exempt list. Actually, their GM and owner might be dumb enough to go for this.

:weei:

The Redskins did sign Reuben Foster after the 49ers released him last year, so there is precedence. They were criticized for the move, but I don’t think it rose to the nationwide venom directed at the Patriots, mainly because Washington doesn’t win as much.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Predicting right here that by this time next year, The Baseball Paper’s Nora Princiotti will be working for NFL Network or CBS/NBC/Fox/ESPN on the NFL beat. Belichick respects her questions (and I would suppose her football IQ) at his pressers, and that’s not just because they both went to Phillips Andover. Her stories are well-written and agenda-free. And, yes, she has the intangibles as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If HarBro gets fired from Michigan, will he go back to the pros?

Lebron
    Participant

Was just going to post Brother Jim always shows up to the big game with his dick in his hand.  He’s got to beat Ohio St. to keep his job.

Humphrey
    Participant

Showing their desperation BC fans still clamor for The Chipster in spite of what looks like two flops in a row.

Coma
    Participant

The Butler INT is better than that play for every possible reason, and any angle you look at it.

Even Ben Volin thinks the Butler INT should be ranked #1. Do you know how badly you have to screw up to get Ben Volin to take a pro-Patriots stance? That’s a “No further witnesses, your honor” moment.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

If HarBro gets fired from Michigan, will he go back to the pros?

Kaepernik at his peak and you can’t score from the 5?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1175573643344175105?s=19

Antonio Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus said he already has had communication “with a few teams that are interested” in his client and that “want information regarding his legal situation and the NFL investigation.”

But until investigation is resolved,  a deal not likely to happen.

And nobody will say boo. They’ll wait til the investigation is over, determine a publicly-sanctioned acceptable suspension time, after which teams can make their play without fear of recrimination.

Brown, having “served his time”, will gets his second chance. Like Hunt, like Hill, like so many others scattered across the league. So long as he can produce and keep his nose clean, people will forget the offenses, even defend them.

They’ll find excuses for Brown. Bi-polar? Mental illness perhaps? Well, he’s on his meds now so it’s OK. He was set up! He was entrapped! He was always well-meaning but just fell in with the wrong crowd. He’s a family man now, so that “ugliness” is all behind him.

The shame and scandal will be the Patriots’ burden alone to bear. They knew about the rape, of course, but still pursued him. And clearly tampered in getting him to shoot his way out of Oakland. Winning at all costs, remember?

Thank God for Brown he’s no longer on that awful team. And oh yeah, go Chiefs!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Norte Dame is still in the playoff picture bla bla bla.  Fuck them.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AB’s good will toward the Pats is just about drying up. Once he starts blaming them for everything, it’ll be interesting to see which side the media takes. I’m guessing “Brown’s tweets prove Pats knew about rape    allegations prior to signing.”

Lefty

Probably not the ideal case the NFLPA would choose to challenge guarantee language…….

2 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Double Thump. Grrr.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Offensive execution has been great.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Offense has stalled, but it doesn’t seem that the Jets are going to do anything on offense either.

Humphrey
    Participant

Hopefully those are just minor dings and not broken ribs and a broken wrist.

jforb
    Participant

Participant

Good for you Jamal

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be awesome if the Jets and Giants combined go 0-30-2 this year? They play each other in Week 10; a scoreless tie would be great but it’s not happening with this Giants’ defense.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar