Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/18/2018 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 35 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

It’s about quarter to 11, uh, let’s see…All I’ve got is that if the Red Sox win tonight, they’ll clinch the AL East for the third year in a row (2 of those under the guidance of incompetent Manager John.)

Feejis
    Participant

We’re gonna get into the flood watch right now in this town.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

I can’t get over Hue Jackson saying he didn’t know his kicker was injured.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I though that all those phones buzzing must mean Josh Gordon has arrived in Foxboro.

Feejis
    Participant

“They didn’t replace Cooks or Amendola!”

Well they didn’t plan on Edelman missing a couple of games and had 3 guys that were fighting for the #4 receiver spot get injured.

“This is desperation!”

Well not really, since the guy was about to be released they wanted first dibs on him and paid a nominal price for the privilege.

Coma
    Participant

I can’t get over Hue Jackson saying he didn’t know his kicker was injured.

It’s more believable when you consider that Jackson did not intend for Gordon to be a starter in week 1, but he started the game anyway.

As an aside, people can look at the “Playing for an organization like the Patriots will set Gordon right and get his career back on track” view as ARROGANCE, but look at who Gordon’s head coaches were: Pat Shurmur as a first time HC for one year, Rob Chudzinski as a first time HC for one year, Mike Pettine as a first time HC for two years and then the last 3 years under Hue Jackson. The guy has his personal problems, but this will be the most stable working environment he’s ever been in.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Even Curran is still viewing Gordon through the lens of the Garoppolo trade. Because they didn’t get anything for Jimmy, they were forced to trade Cooks to replenish their draft, thus leading to a depleted WR corps and a desperate Gordon trade. Because there’s no way they traded Cooks because they weren’t going to give him $88/6 and $50m guaranteed like the free-spending Rams.

The Patriots had exercised the fifth year option on Cooks’ deal, so he was still under contract for the 2018 season had they decided not to trade him.

But Curran’s theory here does exhibit post hoc ergo propter hoc thinking. Maybe the Rams came to them with an offer too good to ignore.

Feejis
    Participant

Has anyone looked at the Iggles WR corps with Jeffrey injured? Is their front office a disgrace also? I’ll hang up and listen.

Lebron
    Participant

We’re gonna get into the flood watch right now in this town.

In town for work driving to the airport I saw flashing signs for flooding, crazy man.  Airport is on a delay now was sheeting like a half hour ago.

Lefty

So, the Pats held onto Jimmy G into his final contract year here as protection in case Brady got hurt, whatever, and then traded Jimmy G at the deadline while they could still get something for him rather than have him walk since they wouldn’t/couldn’t pay the price it would take to re-sign him.   They get killed for that because they should have traded him before the season and maxed the return.

BUT, on Cooks, the Pats DID trade the player before the season and DID max his return, but the criticism is they should have kept him around as insurance in case someone else got hurt and then moved him at the trading deadline if they weren’t going to re-sign him.  In other words, they should have done what they did with Jimmy G even though that’s what the very same people are killing them for doing.

So, the very definition of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Lebron
    Participant

We’ll give you a higher first round pick than you gave up for a guy you have no intention of re-signing at an astronomical cost.   Like that kind of offer?

Lebron
    Participant

Hue Jackson is just sad.  I can’t imagine having to work for him.  One of those deals where you can’t work for a guy that dumb.  GM appears to be a full fledged idiot as well.  And a cocksure asshole.

Lebron
    Participant

Media of course loves the guy.  I’m sure it will be like a funeral when they finally can him, with Mike Silver, Amy Trask and that Henry Cabot Lodge broad.  He didn’t have enough time!  It’s the players’ fault!  Everyone is mean!!!

Lefty

Apparently Antonio Brown didn’t show up for team meetings on Monday and has been making noise about wanting to be traded.

That team is one more loss away from just completely imploding.    We should all be rooting for Tampa Bay to kick the shit out of them next Monday.   Even more than usual, I mean.   It will be a great sideshow to watch them kill each other.

Do you think Belichick could have gotten more for Garoppolo had he shopped him around last October? I do, but don’t think it would be substantially more than what they got, and best deal probably would have been in the AFC.

I think Garoppolo’s gonna be good, but Pats fans always overrate the backup’s marketability. They’ve done it with everyone from Rohan Davey to Ryan Mallett. Hell, they did it when Michael Bishop was third string.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Apparently Antonio Brown didn’t show up for team meetings on Monday and has been making noise about wanting to be traded.

That team is one more loss away from just completely imploding. We should all be rooting for Tampa Bay to kick the shit out of them next Monday. Even more than usual, I mean. It will be a great sideshow to watch them kill each other.

Remind yourself of the tight ship in Pittsburgh when local idiots want to complain about how things are run in Foxboro.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Boston fans over rating their own players/prospects? Say it aint so. These were the same folks wanting to package Troy O’Leary, Mike Lansing and Jose Offerman for Griffey in his prime.

Lebron
    Participant

Obviously they were reluctant to trade him but you also weren’t talking about an established starter with any accomplishments.  They got a pick in the 30s for a backup QB with sweet fuck all on his resume.  I’m not sure what else they were supposed to get?

jforb
    Participant

I seem to remember one guy being referred to as a system QB (by the media at least) for a couple years though.

Feejis
    Participant

Obviously they were reluctant to trade him but you also weren’t talking about an established starter with any accomplishments. They got a pick in the 30s for a backup QB with sweet fuck all on his resume. I’m not sure what else they were supposed to get?

It has become fact that they turned down the #4 overall pick from CLE even though that was never discussed. Thus, at least one 1st, if not more.

Lefty

Yeah, but had Bellychick gotten the #4 from Clevlund, he would have just traded back ovuh and ovuh without picking anyone until he got to the 30’s anyway.   So, tiptoe facto, they ended up in the same place anyway and still took someone who sucked.

Lebron
    Participant

So Antonio Brown blew off practice because some ex Steelers media guy tweeted mean things?

So, the Pats held onto Jimmy G into his final contract year here as protection in case Brady got hurt, whatever, and then traded Jimmy G at the deadline while they could still get something for him rather than have him walk since they wouldn’t/couldn’t pay the price it would take to re-sign him. They get killed for that because they should have traded him before the season and maxed the return.

BUT, on Cooks, the Pats DID trade the player before the season and DID max his return, but the criticism is they should have kept him around as insurance in case someone else got hurt and then moved him at the trading deadline if they weren’t going to re-sign him. In other words, they should have done what they did with Jimmy G even though that’s what the very same people are killing them for doing.

So, the very definition of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

That’s a GREAT point!

Lebron
    Participant

Meanwhile I’m sure Dez Bryant will show up at your kids birthday party for some scratchies.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar