Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/23/2019 – 9/29/2019 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 219 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)
  • Author

GusChiggins
    Participant

Who would’ve guessed that after ten years of tinkering the rules to please non-football fans, the games are starting to get choppy?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I also think the pass catch rule is more confusing than the one that used to be supposedly too confusing.

I won’t be shocked if Jay Gruden sleeps in and misses the next Redskins game.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Hard to believe Bedard is taking the “LOL, Develin doesn’t matter” take instead of the “OMG, Pats R Doomed Without Develin” take. The latter seems to be the more natural hot take.

1 user thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Hard to believe Bedard is taking the “LOL, Develin doesn’t matter” take instead of the “OMG, Pats R Doomed Without Develin” take. The latter seems to be the more natural hot take.

As always, it’s a setup for a future takedown.  Now if the run game sputters he can beat up on hottakez target Sony Michel and question Bill the GM once again.

jforb
    Participant

Fits in with his fullbacks are useless take though.

Lebron
    Participant

He’d say the same about Slater if he was injured.  Bill thinks he’s so smart valuing these players and positions.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Son of Bedard — aka Mittens — had a piece up (didn’t read it) which, based on its headline, maintains that Bill blundered by trading Jacoby Brissett, who would be an awesome backup/successor to TB12.

Yeah, now in his fourth year meaning that he’d also be up for a new contract (which he signed with Indy after Luck quit). And he’d have the same number of snaps as Stidham has so far. So another Jimmy G situation in terms of timing and lack-of-usage.

And — yeah — not to mention that Phillip Dorsett is essentially starting at WR, a group much depleted by injury at the moment, and just had a streak of catches on something like 25 straight targets, plus three TDs. In other words, playing a critical role for them.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Brissett would be riding the bench, not playing.  Dorsett was a former 1st round pick that wasn’t fitting well in Indy and Bill made the move.  It’s made perfect sense and in this case has been a trade that worked well for both teams.  What’s not to like about it?  But let’s scoff at the fullback injury.

Lefty

God forbid they give the Pats credit for drafting QB’s since there are two Pats drafted QB’s who are essentially their team’s franchise players at the moment (Jimmy and Brissett)

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Patriots Alumni Club:

Jimmy G 3-0 at SF
    Jacoby Brissett 2-1 at Indy
    Matt Patricia 2-0-1 at Det
    Bill O’Brien 2-1 at Hou
    Mike Vrabel 1-2 at Ten
    Brian Flores on way to #1 overall pick

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Happy for Detroit so far this year, for Patricia and Flowers and Amendola. Happy for Matty P because it puts a spoke in the wheel of those “Bill’s coaching tree is barren!” hot-take jerkoffs. And especially happy they beat the mouthy Eagles last week; that’s a game I’m sure Philly had chalked up as a W since the schedule came out. Is it true that the “Philly Special” made it high up on the “NFL’s Top 100 Moments,” while Edelman’s catch off three Falcon DBs didn’t even make the cut?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

They’ve been pushing that Edelman catch today, I think it was #22.

chicowalker
    Participant

I think it was posted here, but how fucking funny that the statue of the Philly special is not the catch itself but the be-visored coach and the horsetoothed horsecock discussing the play :lol:

Pats fans opinions aside, my prediction is that the Philly victory is going to have as much historical resonance as Tampa Bay’s (as in, “oh yeah, they did win that one time…”)

jforb
    Participant

Did Indy have a Most Regular Season Wins in a Decade banner and do they have to take it down now?

chicowalker
    Participant

Did Indy have a Most Regular Season Wins in a Decade banner and do they have to take it down now?

aka, the Jack Morris :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

God forbid they give the Pats credit for drafting QB’s since there are two Pats drafted QB’s who are essentially their team’s franchise players at the moment (Jimmy and Brissett)

Bill’s strategy of take the best player available at that spot works not only immediately for the roster but adds value in terms of being able to trade at a later date, especially at the QB position where you have an historical anomaly such that a pick you make gains value that you flip for something you need or another draft asset.

Coma
    Participant

Happy for Detroit so far this year, for Patricia and Flowers and Amendola. Happy for Matty P because it puts a spoke in the wheel of those “Bill’s coaching tree is barren!” hot-take jerkoffs. And especially happy they beat the mouthy Eagles last week; that’s a game I’m sure Philly had chalked up as a W since the schedule came out. Is it true that the “Philly Special” made it high up on the “NFL’s Top 100 Moments,” while Edelman’s catch off three Falcon DBs didn’t even make the cut?

Nashua Dad is correct that the Edelman catch against Atlanta was ranked #22. The Philly Special was ranked #10. It’s ridiculous to think that that play is one of the top 10 plays in a century’s worth of NFL games. To put a positive spin on it, it shows how great the Patriots have been: If you beat them, it had to be the result of one of the most iconic plays in the NFL history.

Coma
    Participant

Son of Bedard — aka Mittens — had a piece up (didn’t read it) which, based on its headline, maintains that Bill blundered by trading Jacoby Brissett, who would be an awesome backup/successor to TB12.

Yeah, now in his fourth year meaning that he’d also be up for a new contract (which he signed with Indy after Luck quit). And he’d have the same number of snaps as Stidham has so far. So another Jimmy G situation in terms of timing and lack-of-usage.

And — yeah — not to mention that Phillip Dorsett is essentially starting at WR, a group much depleted by injury at the moment, and just had a streak of catches on something like 25 straight targets, plus three TDs. In other words, playing a critical role for them.

The most impressive thing about Volin is that he’s been covering the Patriots since 2013 and has not learned anything since then. Just due to years of exposure, you’d think he’d be more knowledgeable about football, but he defies all expectations. For example, he picked the Steelers to win the AFCN and to beat the Patriots on opening night. Now, he says the Patriots haven’t played anyone yet. If he’s completely wrong about the Steelers, why should anyone believe he’s right about his opinion of the Patriots?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I think it was posted here, but how fucking funny that the statue of the Philly special is not the catch itself but the be-visored coach and the horsetoothed horsecock discussing the play :lol:

Pats fans opinions aside, my prediction is that the Philly victory is going to have as much historical resonance as Tampa Bay’s (as in, “oh yeah, they did win that one time…”)

I will be happy if their one title ends up being attributed all the things people bash the Patriots about: Luck (all the key 4th down and 2 point gambles working out), fluke plays (Philly Special) and cheating (An Eagles HOFer sitting in the replay booth, helping to enforce different catch rules for that game.)

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Nashua Dad is correct that the Edelman catch against Atlanta was ranked #22. The Philly Special was ranked #10. It’s ridiculous to think that that play is one of the top 10 plays in a century’s worth of NFL games. To put a positive spin on it, it shows how great the Patriots have been: If you beat them, it had to be the result of one of the most iconic plays in the NFL history.

I haven’t made an exhaustive study but I have to think the “Miracle in Miami” at #43 is the worst placement on that list. So a bad team succeeded on a lateral play. So what? It didn’t help the bad team and was barely a blip on the Pats season. There has to be a dozen such similar plays through the years. If the list is made 5 years later it’s not on the list.

Replace that with the Joe Flacco prayer to beat Denver, which is inexplicably off the list. Or the opening snap of the Broncos Seahawks Super Bowl whizzing past Peyton’s schnozz if you want comedic value.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

How about Matt Millen smashing Pat Sullivan in the head, how did that not make it?

jforb
    Participant

Tomlin trip get in there?

Lebron
    Participant

The Pete segment with Russo always gets me.  Pete thinks he has this whole schedule thing figured out and he has no idea that teams that have multiple east/west coast games can ask the league to schedule them back to back, as the Patriots have done in the past.  He also didn’t know Cam Newton hurt his foot in the Patriots preseason game.  America’s Foremost Football Writer.

In a surprising turn Pete went full “Belichick was bush league” with Jacobsen however Russo said he never does this stuff, he agrees to do it you don’t think it’s plausible the Patriots said to CBS don’t ask about Brown?  Pete of course with all of his resources simply says don’t you think someone would have said something by now and Russo says why would anyone say anything.  Pete then says yeah well I haven’t asked.  You haven’t asked?  If it turned out they said he’ll do the interview just don’t ask about Brown would that change your mind?  Pete says well yeah.  So why the fuck don’t you ask around instead of acting all outraged?  America’s Foremost Football Writer.

Lebron
    Participant

The Bucks get fined for talking about a player.  Someone else’s player, right?  Nope, talking about their own player.  Apparently if you say ‘we plan on offering an extension to Player X’ that constitutes tampering.  So players can say shit like I plan on signing here and that’s OK, that’s not ‘tampering’ with a team’s future plans?  Granted Magic was terrible but he was right when he said he can’t take all of the tampering bullshit.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete really is a shill.  On the Russo segment he says “Chris, you should read my column” when talking about some bullshit hot take, then in the column I’ve noticed lately he now has a link to PFF to get a subscription.  What a fat whore.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar