Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/23/2019 – 9/29/2019 Daily Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Mom we need to talk about Chico’s plums…..

2 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

Suzy, worse and more awkward than how it reads, if possible :blink: :lol:

No way… :ohmy: :lol:

as I explained to my wife- and I freely admit that this is my issue- when my MiL asks “how are you feeling?” I hear “how are your balls feeling?” and I want to jump off a cliff :puke:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Wife’s birthday Monday, so based on grandparent’s babysitting availability- will be at a Sunday, 1:00 PM screening of Downton Abbey. Where does that rank on the apple picking scale?*

*I watched the show and enjoyed it :ph34r:

This is terrible, 5 apples out of 5. Just for the fact you have alone time and you’re wasting it in a dark theatre.

I think using “Downtown” instead of “Downton” is an acceptable show of resistance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

Suzy, worse and more awkward than how it reads, if possible :blink:<noscript>:blink:</noscript>:lol:<noscript>:lol:</noscript>

No way… :ohmy:<noscript>:ohmy:</noscript>:lol:<noscript>:lol:</noscript>

as I explained to my wife- and I freely admit that this is my issue- when my MiL asks “how are you feeling?” I hear “how are your balls feeling?” and I want to jump off a cliff :puke:<noscript>:puke:</noscript>

I’m sure she’s a great MIL but frankly, that’s understandable! :ohmy: :dry:

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

This guy has worse boundaries than our southern border.

chicowalker
    Participant

This guy has worse boundaries than our southern border.

Not me, them.  The only person on my side of the family that even knows it happened (forget about the granular detail) is my cousin, and only because he saw me wince a bit at his kid’s birthday over the weekend

Lebron
    Participant

Kyrie with a busted face in a pickup game.  That’s a shame.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Kyrie with a busted face in a pickup game. That’s a shame.

Bad things, good people….T&P…..GFY

jforb
    Participant

Rex/Baker Iran/Iraq?

Coma
    Participant

The Pete segment with Russo always gets me. Pete thinks he has this whole schedule thing figured out and he has no idea that teams that have multiple east/west coast games can ask the league to schedule them back to back, as the Patriots have done in the past. He also didn’t know Cam Newton hurt his foot in the Patriots preseason game. America’s Foremost Football Writer.

Peter King writes, says and does a lot of objectionable things. This may not seem like a significant one, but, for me, his comments on the NFL schedule are in the top 10. It’s not that he doesn’t understand how the schedule is made, otherwise he wouldn’t reference the 4 year gap between non-conference team match-ups. It’s more about his childish refusal to accept that this is the most equitable was to create the schedule instead of basing it on marquee QB battles and story lines.

For example, in 2016, PK was bemoaning the fact that Carson Wentz would face Roethlisberger that season and then wouldn’t again until 2020. The Eagles won that year 34-3. Who was clamoring to see a rematch of that game the next year? What also makes it annoying is that King never explains how his scheduling idea would work. Let’s say the Eagles and Steelers did play again in 2017, who are they replacing? If it’s an NFC team, then that might hurt the Eagles in the conference standings. If it’s another AFC team, the Philadelphia’s schedule might be easier or harder than the other NFCE teams because they no longer have common AFC opponents.

Since he’s the current MVP, let’s look at the “big name” QBs Mahomes has faced in the regular season this year and last year.
    2018: Rivers (x2), Roethlisberger, Brady, Mayfield, Goff, Jackson and Wilson.
    2019: Jackson, Stafford, Watson, Rodgers, Rivers (x2) and Brady (Luck would have been on this list if he hadn’t retired.)

1/2 of Mahomes’ games last year and 7 of them this year are the kind of match-ups King wants to see, without tinkering with the schedule at all. How many more of those kind of games do you need to see before you’re happy? And why screw everything up to force feed Mahomes vs. Dak Prescott, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan?

As the preeminent NFL writer, and an adult, King should be saying “It would be nice to see QB A vs. QB B every year, but that just creates too much chaos in the scheduling process. Besides, seeing it every 4 years makes it more special.”

BrianInLA
    Participant

I loved watching the Cubs go down the drain, same with the Phillies.

They should bring Theo back to draft/build up the farm only. They should send him on a forced vacation the day after the Series through the signing of every last free agent, then allow him back in the building.

I read today that Theo was given a $50 million extension from the Cubs in 2016 through 2021. That’s crazy money. Then I went down a rabbit hole and saw where Billy Beane has a 4% stake in the A’s as part of his contract (team is valued at $1.1 billion) as well as a 10% ownership stake in some soccer team. I guess I never realized how much money the math guys ended up making.

chicowalker
    Participant

he’d probably revise his Pats 29-25 prediction down to 29-22 with Brees out :dry:

Feejis
    Participant

The next stage of the NFL if Pete and other people like him with no appreciation for hard work and preparation have their way will be for the league to flex games for better matchups as the season winds down.

The NFL announced today that the Week 15 game between the Patriots and Bengals will now feature the Bears visiting the Bengals while New England will instead travel to Green Bay to face Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. 

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

he’d probably revise his Pats 29-25 prediction down to 29-22 with Brees out :dry:

Pretty sure he’d revise the Pats score up to 36 too even though their offense wouldn’t change.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Felger is another one with either no concept of the schedule or just wants to troll. He’s convinced Kraft pays off Goodell for cushy schedule. No idea that 80% of the league sucks. Maybe if the league was better the Pats would have more of a challenge.

Lebron
    Participant

The Astros have 3 straight 100 win seasons and 3 straight 100 loss seasons in the same decade.  That’s fucked up.

Coma
    Participant

Felger is another one with either no concept of the schedule or just wants to troll. He’s convinced Kraft pays off Goodell for cushy schedule. No idea that 80% of the league sucks. Maybe if the league was better the Pats would have more of a challenge.

Felger’s a big “It’s a down year for the league” guy, isn’t he? If it’s always a “down year” and most of the other teams suck, why would Kraft need to rig the schedule?

BrianInLA
    Participant

That’s how tanking is supposed to be done. Lose bigly for a few years. Then win bigly. And have some sort of sorcerer as a pitching coach.

I still deal with the “Pats get an easy schedule because of Kraft/Brady/TheirValue/etc” at least once or twice per NFL season. Its one thing to not know how the NFL schedule worked in pre-internet days but there is absolutely no excuse for it in this age of “enlightenment”. You shouldn’t be allowed to watch sports anymore if you spout that nonsense.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If Pete wants to suggest turning the NFL into English soccer with Elite leagues and lesser leagues and promotion and relegation, I’d love to see that debate.

jforb
    Participant

If Pete wants to suggest turning the NFL into English soccer with Elite leagues and lesser leagues and promotion and relegation, I’d love to see that debate.

Spent way too much time with this.
    Top 16:
    Split into 2 groups of 8, play home and away
    Bye at week 8
    Week 9 and 17 are home/away against the team at the same spot in other group as of week 8
    Top 4 of each play a straight bracket 1v4, 2v3, winners play, group winners play in SB
    Bottom of each goes down, 6 and 7 play across groups, loser goes down

Bottom 16:
    Same schedule, bye at week 9, maybe move the game against the other group back a week to make the prep more equal
    Playoffs are more complicated. 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2 winners goes up. Losers play, winner goes up. 3 and 4 play a bracket, winner plays the loser of the 1v2 loser game for the last spot.

Geographic groups or randomly selected?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Spent way too much time with this.

Top 16:

Split into 2 groups of 8, play home and away

Bye at week 8

Week 9 and 17 are home/away against the team at the same spot in other group as of week 8

Top 4 of each play a straight bracket 1v4, 2v3, winners play, group winners play in SB

Bottom of each goes down, 6 and 7 play across groups, loser goes down

Bottom 16:

Same schedule, bye at week 9, maybe move the game against the other group back a week to make the prep more equal

Playoffs are more complicated. 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2 winners goes up. Losers play, winner goes up. 3 and 4 play a bracket, winner plays the loser of the 1v2 loser game for the last spot.

Geographic groups or randomly selected?

Or….and this is just spitballing…we leave it the fucking way it is, ignore our inbred former british masters, an let the games play out as they will.  Just an idea.

#Murica

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Steelers – Bengals on Monday Night Football may just be a new low for the league.  Then again Steelers – Miami will be on next Month. :blink: :lol: :lol:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’m just saying I would enjoy sending the Jets to a lower division or three. My hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we sent the worst performing franchise to the minors and brought up the best of the 2nd tier.

chicowalker
    Participant

Job interview tomorrow for a job I’m actually excited for.  Been a while since I’ve had one, or at least one I’ve taken seriously.  I know some of you are interviewers, what do you look for/find exclusionary that isn’t on the CV?  One thing in my favor is I don’t need this job (I’m fine where I am, if a little bored) so I hopefully will not have the whiff of desperation I usually wear to interviews :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

I’m just saying I would enjoy sending the Jets to a lower division or three. My hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we sent the worst performing franchise to the minors and brought up the best of the 2nd tier.

I know nothing of Euro soccer.  How big is the disparity in facilities? Do teams that generally occupy the B division that might occasionally bump up essentially play in minor league stadiums?  I would think that would hamper revenue to the point that any jump would be temporary, even if they were flawlessly ran, just because they couldn’t spend 100 million renting someone from Spain or whatever

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar