Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/23/2019 – 9/29/2019 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 219 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 220 total)
  • Author

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Ask a lot of questions and do your best to come across as excited and enthusiastic about the opportunity. People like that.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Ask a lot of questions and do your best to come across as excited and enthusiastic about the opportunity. People like that.

Listen well so you answer the questions precisely.  If this is a different company, research it a bit and come with questions that show you’ve put the work in.   It’s ok to interview the interviewer a bit – this is supposed to be a fit for both sides.  Be able to tie your answers to specific examples of things you’ve done in the past rather than using generic “what I would do is” whenever possible.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Do I click with the person, and most importantly, do they ask relevant, concise questions when prompted.

jforb
    Participant

Be transparent, genuine, and human.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Seem to like sports, keep the show moving.

2 users thanked author for this post.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

I may be alone here, but i kind of like a little bit of desperation…makes me think it will give us about a 3 month cushion before he/she starts bitching about the job!

Yahtzee
    Participant

Job interview tomorrow for a job I’m actually excited for. Been a while since I’ve had one, or at least one I’ve taken seriously. I know some of you are interviewers, what do you look for/find exclusionary that isn’t on the CV? One thing in my favor is I don’t need this job (I’m fine where I am, if a little bored) so I hopefully will not have the whiff of desperation I usually wear to interviews :lol:

Same boat except Monday.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Good luck, you two 🍀

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t know if promotion/relegation works for every sport but I’ll repeat I’d love to see no revenue share at certain thresholds.  Baseball is going to have 3 100 loss teams, and I think the Orioles and Royals are on back to back 100 loss seasons.  What could they be possibly adding to the revenue of the game/sport in general?  Fuck them.  And it’s not like they have some plan to get better, they appear ready to simply suck forever and take the money.  I think the Royals are finally up for sale so maybe that changes.  Same with football, I’d be fine with these below 3 or 4 win teams getting a diminished pro rated share of revenue and the Soup winner getting more.  Of course all of these sports leagues have expanded which has diluted some of the talent and contraction would be a good option too.

Lebron
    Participant

I may be alone here, but i kind of like a little bit of desperation…makes me think it will give us about a 3 month cushion before he/she starts bitching about the job!

I’ve also turned the corner a bit on this and like an air of desperation when properly shown.  The last two that I hired were actually what I would call ‘stretch’ candidates that I said fuck it let’s give them a chance.  One of them worked out very well.  The other I shitcanned within a year.  It’s all a crapshoot.

General advice would be to answer the question that is asked and show that you are respectful of their time.  If they want to hear more they will let you know but I always like a “I know we are coming up on the hour…” which lets me know they are cognizant of people’s time which is like 90% of what I want anymore.

chicowalker
    Participant

I was given a choice of times between 2-5 on friday, so I chose 4:15 :lol:   going for a bit of an end of day/week type thing-

This being RI, the person interviewing me and I have a common friend (who I believe I’ve had mimosas with at a kid’s birthday party)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  chicowalker.
    3 users thanked author for this post.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Is this still a government job? You keep me here until 5 on a Friday that is a hard pass.

Lebron
    Participant

Just heard Lombardi on Russo.  Russo asked him what he thought of Belichick/Jacobsen and Lombardi said well he was likely irked a bit because the agreements with the networks are you are only allowed to ask 2 questions, and the Bryant question was her 3rd question.  Russo didn’t know that and said well that also likely explains why CBS hasn’t said anything either because they know they broke the agreements they have with teams when making coaches/players available for pregame interviews.  America’s Foremost Football Writer was apparently not aware of this either as he was too busy being outraged to ask anyone.  So all of this “she was doing her job!” is bullshit because she didn’t do her job.  Her job was 2 questions.

8 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Job interview tomorrow for a job I’m actually excited for. Been a while since I’ve had one, or at least one I’ve taken seriously. I know some of you are interviewers, what do you look for/find exclusionary that isn’t on the CV? One thing in my favor is I don’t need this job (I’m fine where I am, if a little bored) so I hopefully will not have the whiff of desperation I usually wear to interviews :lol:

Best two jobs I’ve ever had were after interviews where I didn’t care one way or the other if I was offered the job because I already had something else I was enjoying or lined up and ended up just hitting it off with everyone during the casual (for me) interview. Sometimes that lack of desperation helps immensely. Of course small sample size and all that. And yes, the dildo place was one of the those places. :smile:

Big Fat O
    Participant

TEC has officially dove into media cesspool. Listening to Felger recite his latest horseshit article on is Brady pouting, BB pissed, Kraft meddling he’s gone. Back in the day he was actually someone you wanted to listen to for fair and good analysis.

Since being fair doesn’t pay the bills he had to join the Shank’s of the world.

its actually kind of sad like someone getting hooked on drugs.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Just heard Lombardi on Russo. Russo asked him what he thought of Belichick/Jacobsen and Lombardi said well he was likely irked a bit because the agreements with the networks are you are only allowed to ask 2 questions, and the Bryant question was her 3rd question. Russo didn’t know that and said well that also likely explains why CBS hasn’t said anything either because they know they broke the agreements they have with teams when making coaches/players available for pregame interviews. America’s Foremost Football Writer was apparently not aware of this either as he was too busy being outraged to ask anyone. So all of this “she was doing her job!” is bullshit because she didn’t do her job. Her job was 2 questions.

You’d think that Jacobson saying this was no big deal and just part of the job would be the end of it, but people still think it’s an issue.  I like the lack of awareness when people claim Belichick was being a bully and then say he continually asked about Antonio Brown until he gives a satisfactory answer. There’s a word for hounding someone like that. Also enjoyable is Trenni claiming that Patriots fans are too sensitive when she and her colleagues are upset about a coach staring at an interviewer for a second and half.

On a tangent about ridiculous claims by the media, I watched part of the NFLN’s top 10 Brady games on Youtube today. #10 was the 2014 game against Cincinnati which they introduced as a routine dismantling of the Bengals at home. Then, they explained about the bad performance in KC the week before and ensuing hubbub in the media during the week. SMY introduces the clip of someone asking Belichick about re-evaluating the QB position and Bill laughing it off. They come back to SMY saying “It was a perfectly valid question!” She doesn’t realize that she’s part of the problem if she thinks that benching Brady was up for discussion after one poor game. Eli Manning has been mediocre for years and no one was asking Coughlin, MacAdoo or Shurmur if he should be benched. In other places, it’s a matter of respect and treating people the right way. In a New England, it’s a contest to see who can act like the biggest dick at press conferences.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Every fan and media member covering the team knows how BB operates. He’s not discussing injuries or off the field crap.

All this the fans want answers is bullshit. We all know why Brown is not here, he couldn’t keep his mouth shut. Knowing how the Pats do business he was told no public communication especially with the women. Maybe he was testing them or just really dumb, but he’s not here.

The media really exposed themselves when they tried to break BB balls and bragging they were doing it to aggravate him.

TEC has officially dove into media cesspool. Listening to Felger recite his latest horseshit article on is Brady pouting, BB pissed, Kraft meddling he’s gone. Back in the day he was actually someone you wanted to listen to for fair and good analysis.

Since being fair doesn’t pay the bills he had to join the Shank’s of the world.

its actually kind of sad like someone getting hooked on drugs.

I don’t agree. I still see TEC giving a sober assessment of what he’s witnessing. Did you read TEC saying Brady “pouting”, BB “pissed” and Kraft “meddling”, or is that Felger’s characterization of it? TEC didn’t use those words. TEC’s characterizations: Brady’s “bummed out”, Belichick “accepted and understood” the decision but wasn’t “leading the charge” to release Brown; and Kraft was “having less patience for a player putting your business and you in a negative light.”

And he had this addendum to the column, which flies in contradiction to the story Volin and Wickersham are selling:

How many personnel decisions has Kraft insisted be made in 20 years with Belichick? To my knowledge, none.

Read TEC’s column: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-fallout-taking-stock-damage-left-antonio-brown. I think you’ll see it differently than how Felger is spinning it. In stark contrast to say Volin’s leaps of logic and wish fulfillment, it shows TEC at least is trying to dig to find what the story truly is. It revealed what we all thought was true: that Brown could have survived it all if he’d just stay off social media. Stupid fuck dug his own grave.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Pete Abraham vs former third baseman Vernon Wells (and then versus The World) over Mike Minor getting his 200th K is something I did not expect to be a thing. Minor gets a bonus for the 200th K and the catcher purposely let a foul popup drop in the 9th inning. Breach of the rules I’m sure. People keep tweeting the “old man yells at clouds” gif at him and he’s replying to most of them about how few followers they have. The guy must have a real satisfying home life.

Humphrey
    Participant

I’m just saying I would enjoy sending the Jets to a lower division or three. My hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we sent the worst performing franchise to the minors and brought up the best of the 2nd tier.

I know nothing of Euro soccer. How big is the disparity in facilities? Do teams that generally occupy the B division that might occasionally bump up essentially play in minor league stadiums? I would think that would hamper revenue to the point that any jump would be temporary, even if they were flawlessly ran, just because they couldn’t spend 100 million renting someone from Spain or whatever

Catch an FA cup some time when a team like Liverpool actually plays in the British equivalent of McCoy Stadium, or worse.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Pete Abraham vs former third baseman Vernon Wells (and then versus The World) over Mike Minor getting his 200th K is something I did not expect to be a thing. Minor gets a bonus for the 200th K and the catcher purposely let a foul popup drop in the 9th inning. Breach of the rules I’m sure. People keep tweeting the “old man yells at clouds” gif at him and he’s replying to most of them about how few followers they have. The guy must have a real satisfying home life.

Did he get the K?

BrianInLA
    Participant

He did. Abraham said it should have an asterisk next to it.

BrianInLA
    Participant
    Vernon Wells
    @VernonWells10

Maybe you should mad at the hitter that punched out after the drop. He should have made them pay for it but instead, he was watching like you. Handle it on the field or zip it.
    Quote Tweet
    Pete Abraham
    @PeteAbe
    ·
    Mike Minor’s 200th strikeout should have a big asterisk. That was bush. Chasing a milestone that way is unprofessional.

jforb
    Participant

To be fair to the batter, he should have been watching. Pitch was about a foot high and outside.

Gimp
    Participant

Must be something in the water…completed a 3 1/2 month interview process this past Monday with the CEO of the company, verbal offer that afternoon, waiting for the written offer letter tomorrow (hopefully).  It was weird being on the other side of the interview table for the first time in 7 years.  And all I heard from my friends was BE SURE YOU CLOSE THEM….ASK FOR THE JOB.

I have always found that a tad formulaic.  This guys already knows I want the job.  So I concentrated more on developing a narrative during the interview-things I am excited about in the new job, the company, and then reiterating at the end that I am an optimal fit.  A bit more ongoing than a final CAN I HAVE THE JOB that everyone is waiting for.

One thing I always look for, and that I made a point of emphasizing, was my high emotional IQ. :blink:  Total eye roller, but it’s a management hot topic these days.  Just mentioning it evidently made me have a high emotional IQ.  LOL

Good luck.  You’ll kill it.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar