Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/23/2019 – 9/29/2019 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 219 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 220 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

Is this still a government job? You keep me here until 5 on a Friday that is a hard pass.

college (RISD)

Lebron
    Participant

I’m just saying I would enjoy sending the Jets to a lower division or three. My hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we sent the worst performing franchise to the minors and brought up the best of the 2nd tier.

I know nothing of Euro soccer. How big is the disparity in facilities? Do teams that generally occupy the B division that might occasionally bump up essentially play in minor league stadiums? I would think that would hamper revenue to the point that any jump would be temporary, even if they were flawlessly ran, just because they couldn’t spend 100 million renting someone from Spain or whatever

Catch an FA cup some time when a team like Liverpool actually plays in the British equivalent of McCoy Stadium, or worse.

Tottenham losing to a 4th level team a couple of days ago in the Carabao Cupbwas a thing of beauty

Gimp
    Participant

I’m just saying I would enjoy sending the Jets to a lower division or three. My hot take is that every US sports league would be improved if we sent the worst performing franchise to the minors and brought up the best of the 2nd tier.

I know nothing of Euro soccer. How big is the disparity in facilities? Do teams that generally occupy the B division that might occasionally bump up essentially play in minor league stadiums? I would think that would hamper revenue to the point that any jump would be temporary, even if they were flawlessly ran, just because they couldn’t spend 100 million renting someone from Spain or whatever

Catch an FA cup some time when a team like Liverpool actually plays in the British equivalent of McCoy Stadium, or worse.

Tottenham losing to a 4th level team a couple of days ago in the Carabao Cupbwas a thing of beauty

So Spursy!

Yahtzee
    Participant

NFL replay rule on PI sux. The NFL is the American Airlines of sports.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

If that’s not PI I’m not sure what is. Dear lord where was this in the Peyton era Pats games?

Lebron
    Participant

I was about to book work travel on American haven’t flown them in a few years are they suckier than the other sucky airlines?  I’m at the point of driving to all destinations in North America flying is horrible.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Delta is the best run.

I like JetBlue but can be trouble if there are irregular operations.

United has had its obvious problems.

American is America West piggybacking on the tradition of AA. Lots of planes have no power outlets, no entertainment and terrible seats. (And I’m an AA million miler). Book carefully.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

United sucks. If you can’t upgrade from basic economy you better be 5-7 or shorter.

Coma
    Participant

If that’s not PI I’m not sure what is. Dear lord where was this in the Peyton era Pats games?

At least the officials didn’t change a no call to DPI when the Eagles challenged a few minutes ago. On that play, there was less contact and the defender was looking for the ball.

What bothered me more was the TD pass to Jordan Howard where the linebacker was trying to cover him was picked off. Aikman dismissed it as a “natural pick,” but security would have had to restrain Fouts if that pass had gone to James White. I never heard of a “natural pick” exception 10 yards downfield.

Lefty

Oh, that’s a shame Aaron.   Favre-esque nut-crushing pick.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Can make all the throws

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

United sucks. If you can’t upgrade from basic economy you better be 5-7 or shorter.

I fucking hate United

Gimp
    Participant

5 consecutive years of Diamond status on Delta, so I am far from objective, but Delta does seem to suck the least.  JetBlue is decent in the northeast corridor, but they seem to get thrown off by the simplest weather of equipment issues.

JetBlue also has a shockingly convenient non-stop to Long Beach if you’re looking to an easy trip to and from the west coast.  That red-eye kicks ass back.

jforb
    Participant

Is it the whole review process that’s fucked or just Riveron making the calls?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

5 consecutive years of Diamond status on Delta, so I am far from objective, but Delta does seem to suck the least. JetBlue is decent in the northeast corridor, but they seem to get thrown off by the simplest weather of equipment issues.

JetBlue also has a shockingly convenient non-stop to Long Beach if you’re looking to an easy trip to and from the west coast. That red-eye kicks ass back.

Yes! A few years back a dozen people in my extended family attending a wedding had to scramble last minute because JetBlue cancelled a flight to Toronto due to “high winds”. I do like JetBlue in general, though. And Delta.

United has had so many high profile fuckups I avoid them whenever possible. Sorry to my uncle who was a career United exec.

Participant

BSMW Stables?

3 ML 9-5 Eight RingsJ: J. Velazquez 122 LbsT: B. Baffert

jforb
    Participant

I’m not going to apologize, I’m a sucker for sappy sports stories. Plus, I skipped out on work a little early a few years ago to watch King Felix shut down the Reds in Cincinnati before catching a flight. Glad I did. Thanks for the Seattle memories, King.

Links to a box score from May 21, 2016. What was he in Cincinnati for then?

Participant

I’m not going to apologize, I’m a sucker for sappy sports stories. Plus, I skipped out on work a little early a few years ago to watch King Felix shut down the Reds in Cincinnati before catching a flight. Glad I did. Thanks for the Seattle memories, King.

Links to a box score from May 21, 2016. What was he in Cincinnati for then?

SI's Peter King: I Like To Eat Diarrhea, It's Good, Mmm ...

Lebron
    Participant

These losers.  He’s not dead.  He’ll probably pitch someplace next year but christ he hasn’t been great in a while.  And what memories?  Yeah the perfect game which was a getaway game that I think Ironhead happened to be at but it’s not like a lot of people witnessed it.  He’s never pitched in a big/meaningful game, never been in the postseason.

Coma
    Participant

A week or two ago, Tony Dungy was answering questions on Twitter and someone asked him about the DPI rules changing because of Ty Law. Dungy responded that the DPI and illegal contact rules haven’t changed since the “Mel Blount Rule” in the 70s. He’s correct in that statement, but he was hanging on semantics and deliberately avoiding the point that illegal contact was “emphasized” in the 2004 season. When people responded with “You know what he means” type comments, Dungy doubled down, asking “Do you not want the officials to enforce the rules? They should just enforce the rules they feel are important?”

The enforcement of the rules changed because of Dungy’s GM and was done to benefit the team Dungy was coaching. For him to pretend like DPI or illegal contact were called the same way from 1976 forward is disingenuous, at best. If he actually believes this, that’s sad and pathetic. If he’s trolling, what’s the point?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Media outlets don’t have the same standard I guess.

“If you’re Robert Kraft and own the team and sign the checks you’re going to have less patience for a player putting your business and — by extension — you in a negative spotlight,” Curran determined.

Lebron
    Participant

Bill’s statement on analytics and how he uses them on a 4th down call or a 2 point conversion is causing the nerds to invest in fainting couches.  Of course he explains himself well to anyone that listens and reiterates that it’s all situational and the needs of the team at that time.  And he loves math!

Coma
    Participant

During the game last night, there was a commercial for the NFL’s upcoming top 100 game series. This one featured the game Favre played against the Raiders the day after his dad died. Of course, Peter King is involved and they show a clip of him saying “Through a veil of tears, he threw 4 touchdowns.”

I’m not sure what’s worse, King’s comment or knowing that there are people out there thinking “Goddammit, Peter, that’s great stuff. ‘A veil of tears,’ that’s brilliant.”

Humphrey
    Participant

Bill’s statement on analytics and how he uses them on a 4th down call or a 2 point conversion is causing the nerds to invest in fainting couches. Of course he explains himself well to anyone that listens and reiterates that it’s all situational and the needs of the team at that time. And he loves math!

Speaking of which, it was pretty odd that Phila went for two when they were up 27-20.

Lebron
    Participant

Saw that King bit too.  Jesus that guy is such an asshole.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar