Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/3/2019 – 9/8/2019 Weekly Thread – Football Begins

This topic contains 145 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 146 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Sure can’t wait to see the Super Bowl Champions open the season on Thursday, as is traditional. Yep.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Pats have tended to get very disappointing returns on rookies that miss huge chunks of time due to injuries. I’m hoping Harry can break that trend.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Tomorrow night (Wednesday) on NFL Network:

8 p.m. — DO YOUR JOB 2018

9 p.m. — AMERICA’S GAME Super Bowl 53

4 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

No comment on Fatty picking Brisette as 3rd in his MVP vote? :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

Sure can’t wait to see the Super Bowl Champions open the season on Thursday, as is traditional. Yep.

As Thursday approaches this bothers me way more than I thought it would.  Plus that fuckface Rodgers and associated storylines.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Sensitive, persecution complex,  footie pajamas, pom-poms, and things of that nature.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Ironhead’s podcast Entitled Town is turning out to be a great tool for filtering my twitter feed.  Great episode today with Mike Petraglia.

Lebron
    Participant

Apparently there’s a new award category

Seattle’s John Schneider won GM of Cut Weekend

Lebron
    Participant

“You can’t make mistakes against Tom Brady and coach [Bill] Belichick and the Patriots the way we did in both games, early in the game. We obviously made things happen in the second half of both those games and gave ourselves chances to win. But if we just go in with the mindset of making adjustments even quicker, making sure that you go out there with a game plan and execute at a high level just from the beginning. They’re gonna keep executing, so you better too.” I relayed what Mahomes said to Reid. “Astute observation by a smart player. It’s always a short feel-out process against a championship team, fast and furious. We better learn that.”

“Make adjustments quicker.”  You realize that Andy Reid is your head coach?  And of course Reid saying “we better learn that.”  Oh you think so doctor?  He’s only been a head coach for 20 years and he’s saying we better learn how to play against championship teams?  He’s so terrible.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

As Thursday approaches this bothers me way more than I thought it would. Plus that fuckface Rodgers and associated storylines.

I bet he wears some sort of wacky get up!!!! And than goes out and makes all the THROWZZ!

Lebron
    Participant

How will Rodgers and his new coach get along?  Body language!  He didn’t play in the preseason!  And then all of the Bears/Packers bullshit that no one outside of Chicago or Wisconsin gives 2 flying fucks about.  They were named after meat packers!  They’re publicly owned!  Bikes! Curly Lambeau!  Vince Lombardi!  George Halas!  Da Bears!  Did you see that Peyton skit with the Bears superfans?  So funny!

Participant

How will Rodgers and his new coach get along? Body language! He didn’t play in the preseason! And then all of the Bears/Packers bullshit that no one outside of Chicago or Wisconsin gives 2 flying fucks about. They were named after meat packers! They’re publicly owned! Bikes! Curly Lambeau! Vince Lombardi! George Halas! Da Bears! Did you see that Peyton skit with the Bears superfans? So funny!

I’m sure Virginia McCaskey Halas Cougar Mellencamp will be propped up in front of the cameras at some point….

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

She’s still alive?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

How will Rodgers and his new coach get along? Body language! He didn’t play in the preseason! And then all of the Bears/Packers bullshit that no one outside of Chicago or Wisconsin gives 2 flying fucks about. They were named after meat packers! They’re publicly owned! Bikes! Curly Lambeau! Vince Lombardi! George Halas! Da Bears! Did you see that Peyton skit with the Bears superfans? So funny!

Gee, I hope they wear those cool, attractive original throwback uniforms!  And why not leave the numbers off them?  Did they wear numbers in 1919?  Hey, we’re celebrating a century of the NFL, people!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Participant

She’s still alive?

Yep – 96 years young.

Participant

There appears to be real progress being made in talks with the Cowboys and Ezekiel Elliott, with ProFootballTalk reporting the two sides are “close” on a six-year, $90 million extension.

Coma
    Participant

Tomorrow night (Wednesday) on NFL Network:

8 p.m. — DO YOUR JOB 2018

9 p.m. — AMERICA’S GAME Super Bowl 53

Going on a tangent from these shows, I’ve seen parts of 2 or 3 of the 1/2 hour NFL Yearbook shows for other teams. In the New York Football Giants one, for example, there were clips of their high draft picks in college and highlights of other players they signed in free agency. I saw the same things in a couple of other shows and realized that, when a team sucks, the last few minutes of the Yearbook are spent pumping up a team’s prospects for the upcoming season. I’m so glad that, for almost 20 years, no Patriots year in review show has ended with “This top 10 draft pick or big name free agent will change their fortunes and lead them to the playoffs.”

Lebron
    Participant

If Earl Thomas plays 16 games, that could well catapult Baltimore into the playoffs. He’s a vital piece to the puzzle there.

So if Earl friggin’ Thomas plays every game they get to the playoffs.  What kind of fucking analysis is that?  He’s a beat up old safety.  Even if he’s still pretty good how is that the difference between making and not making the playoffs and why does he have to play every game?  Earl Thomas moves point spreads, who knew!

Lebron
    Participant

AFC title game, Jan. 19, 2020, at Kansas City: Chiefs 27, Patriots 25.

25?  Also with the weirdo Patriots as the 3 seed but advancing to the championship game.

Lebron
    Participant

When I think of NFL comps for Andrew Luck in recent history, one is Carson Palmer. He played 14 seasons

Yeah, great comp.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Both white, went to college in CA, tall, big arm…

Lebron
    Participant

If you think Ian Rapoport or Jay Glazer or some other strong NFL reporter would have chosen to hold the story instead of reporting it before the press conference, I’d disagree with you. Once Luck began telling teammates, who would tell others, who would tell agents, etc., the story would have leaked, and likely long before the 3 p.m. news conference Sunday.

By this logic Pete must be a big fan of PEDs in baseball in the late ’90s/early aughts and blood doping in cycling.  You better do it or someone else will/everyone is doing it.  Somehow if we perused his archives I’m guessing he wasn’t a big fan.

The media should not wait because of the “gravity and finality” of someone’s major announcement for that person to confirm the decision. The news doesn’t work that way.

This is a guy that leaked troop positions in Afghanistan so the math works.

When Luck chose the time to tell his story as a time when so many people would have known what he was about to say—which is his right—he had to know that in this era of NFL insiders it was quite possible the secret would not have stayed secret.

Actually the more you think about it’s really Luck’s fault.  He should have known better. :pk:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

25? Also with the weirdo Patriots as the 3 seed but advancing to the championship game.

Stop torturing yourself. Reading that shithead by proxy is painful enough.

chicowalker
    Participant

25? Also with the weirdo Patriots as the 3 seed but advancing to the championship game.

Infuriating. So he’s implying that BB is conservative enough to go for 6 field goals (with one td) or the opposite- going for two in a situation that doesn’t warrant it, by the book (assuming that the chiefs 27 is 3td 2 fg)  He did this shit all the time when he used to do his weekly picks- lots of 32-29 games in his pumpkin spiced fever dreams

Can’t wait to see him pick the Pats over the Steelers week one- eliminating the tiebreaker for the steelers getting the #2 seed.

Coma
    Participant

If Earl Thomas plays 16 games, that could well catapult Baltimore into the playoffs. He’s a vital piece to the puzzle there.

So if Earl friggin’ Thomas plays every game they get to the playoffs. What kind of fucking analysis is that? He’s a beat up old safety. Even if he’s still pretty good how is that the difference between making and not making the playoffs and why does he have to play every game? Earl Thomas moves point spreads, who knew!

It’s not like safety was a glaring weakness for Baltimore last season, either. I don’t remember anyone saying Eric Weddle had lost several steps last year. If Thomas and Weddle are a wash or even if Thomas is a little better, does that significantly improve Baltimore’s defense? The Ravens were a playoff team last year, anyway. It doesn’t make sense to say Earl Thomas is going to catapult them there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar