Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/3/2019 – 9/8/2019 Weekly Thread – Football Begins

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not a Packers fan (At. All.) but, after 1985, I will always get satisfaction out of a Bears’ loss.  Piling it on in the Soupey by running William Perry for  a meaningless touchdown to me was a far more egregious example of classlessness than anything the 2007 Pats did. How satisfying it is that they were a one-year wonder and that Ditka was exposed as a coaching fraud (as was Buddy Ryan).  If they fall back to 8-8 or miss the playoffs, maybe George Wendt will retire his Bill Swerski schtick permanently.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    DUKA
    Participant

Russ Bodine nice trade there BB.

Coma
    Participant

Not a Packers fan (At. All.) but, after 1985, I will always get satisfaction out of a Bears’ loss. Piling it on in the Soupey by running William Perry for a meaningless touchdown to me was a far more egregious example of classlessness than anything the 2007 Pats did. How satisfying it is that they were a one-year wonder and that Ditka was exposed as a coaching fraud (as was Buddy Ryan). If they fall back to 8-8 or miss the playoffs, maybe George Wendt will retire his Bill Swerski schtick permanently.

The cherry on top of reveling in the mid-80s Bears not even having a run like the Seahawks is that they were the youngest team in the league in 1985.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

IH doing great work as always re: exposing that arrogant, ignorant jackass Bedard for the fraud he is. Stupid, cunty, talentless, AAC has it all.

Caught the buffoon in all his obese glory on TV the other night and holy shit, is he a physical mess. It’s almost shocking to see it on your screen. :ohmy: Buttons straining to pop over his gigantic gut, sad combover/dye job, and squinty, shifty eyes darting as he plops his girth in a studio chair and shits on actual professional athletes and coaches competing at the highest level.  The guy is truly loathsome.

Humphrey
    Participant

Not a Packers fan (At. All.) but, after 1985, I will always get satisfaction out of a Bears’ loss. Piling it on in the Soupey by running William Perry for a meaningless touchdown to me was a far more egregious example of classlessness than anything the 2007 Pats did. How satisfying it is that they were a one-year wonder and that Ditka was exposed as a coaching fraud (as was Buddy Ryan). If they fall back to 8-8 or miss the playoffs, maybe George Wendt will retire his Bill Swerski schtick permanently.

My best Buddy memory was someone scoring a winning TD against his vaunted defense and firing the ball at some home made banner containing his likeness.

I guess we can be thankful that thanks to the 1985 Miami Dolphins it’s the 1972 Fins that celebrate each year when every team’s lost a game and not the 85 Bears.

Humphrey
    Participant

IH doing great work as always re: exposing that arrogant, ignorant jackass Bedard for the fraud he is. Stupid, cunty, talentless, AAC has it all.

Caught the buffoon in all his obese glory on TV the other night and holy shit, is he a physical mess. It’s almost shocking to see it on your screen. :ohmy: Buttons straining to pop over his gigantic gut, sad combover/dye job, and squinty, shifty eyes darting as he plops his girth in a studio chair and shits on actual professional athletes and coaches competing at the highest level. The guy is truly loathsome.

Tuesdays on F&M is definitely “must not listen” radio. I accidentally stumbled upon some rant the other day about their running backs that I couldn’t switch off fast enough.

chicowalker
    Participant

He almost seems put upon to deliver his takes- *sigh* “look, I just said that I like Michel, just not in the first round..” when in reality he’s singing for his (considerable) supper

jforb
    Participant

Why is the GB D getting all the ball washing? In blind squirrel category “Mitch Trubisky is not good and it’s highly unlikely he’ll ever be good.” Meanwhile the Bears gave up 2 bad pass plays and otherwise looked exactly the same against Rodgers and I’m not seeing anything about them being great.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

People are counting on the Packers D to *finally* bail out Rodgers the way they say the Patriots D does Brady. Settle this pesky GOAT debate in Aaron’s favor once and for all.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant
    Participant

Yikes

He looks like one of the guy’s from Gormley’s who sits in the front row at the funeral mass so that all the lapsed catholic’s can follow along…. :ohmy:

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Yikes

Electronic Arts Suffers $45 Million Loss

Lefty

FWIW, I heard (one year) Patriot Jim Miller on NFL radio saying last night’s game was an embarrassment and that Rodgers looked terrrible.   Even went so far as to say the TD throw was “just thrown up for grabs” with no real idea where it was going.    It was all part of a larger point about the problem with giving QB’s zero preseason reps, but I still enjoyed any negative comment about Rodgers.

Lefty

It will be interesting to watch how the A Brown thing plays out.   For the past couple of days, all we’ve heard is how we all had it wrong about Mike Tomlin and how he “handled” Brown, as evidenced by the clusterfuck happening in Oakland.    Well, now Mayock and Gruden backed Brown into a corner right out of the gate and he had to apologize, or whatever.

Perhaps the real issue here is Antonio was never called on the carpet during his time in Pittsburgh and would have gotten away with this crap there.   Maybe this is the first time someone really stood up to him.   Let’s see if he responds.   If he does, the narrative being created around Tomlin being right in the way he handled Brown should be flipped.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I know they ended up 9-7 and out of the playoffs, but when I think of the 2002 Patriots, this is what I remember.

Two plus hours of Steeler bashing.

And poor Dennis Hopper. Dude almost stroked out doing that intro.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Who returned the first kickoff in Gillette Stadium history?  Steeler Hank Poteat, later a Pat. :ohmy:

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Antonio Brown’s weirdo video he posted.

Is it wrong that my first reaction is to think how really good the video’s production is?

Gimp
    Participant

Looks like Antonio Brown has asked the Raiders to release him.

In a friggin Instagram post. 🙄

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

And now, the inevitable Instagram post:

Your move, Raiders. What a custerfluck!

Edit: As Gimp said. Can’t get the Instagram to show up, thanks WordPress!

Lefty

What is the over under on how many days before Brown claims he has CTE

Gimp
    Participant
    Lefty

Said it before, but it seems to me like Oakland is handling this exactly right.  They have audio, thanks to Brown’s stupid video, of the coach being nice to him and trying to talk him into coming back and playing.    Meanwhile, they have step by step written documentation of every violation, their notice to him of it and the fines related to it.   They’ve been handling it to win the arbitration/court case whenever he went full retard.

Rather than continuously looking to praise Pittsburgh for moving Brown off their list of problems, the mediots should be recognizing Oakland for actually taking on the situation well.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Gimp
    Participant

Lefty nails it here.  Oakland’s handling of this fiasco is air tight.  With the reported contract language protecting against these shenanigans, the AB experiment was pretty much downside-free (other than the circus it would create)

Mayock isn’t an idiot.  He’s clearly leveraging this whole thing in an effort to show how business will be done in Oakland.  Mayock don’t take no mess.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Gimp.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

From that thread. This is awesome and quite brilliant.

I just got an email from Antonio Brown. He tells me the team “took away my guarantees.” He added there’s “no way I play after they took that and made my contract week to week.” So at this moment, once again, don’t expect AB to play on Monday Night Football.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by BrianInLA.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

I still dont know how Pittsburgh is smart in any of this while carrying $20 million in dead cap space.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Second half of the 2002 season opener, in which Pats pull away from the Stillers and win easily.  I’d forgotten Donald Hayes’ role in this victory; maybe it was the high-water mark of his tenure in New England. I’d also forgotten the “big nickel” safety package of 2002 — Milloy, Tebucky and Victor Green — and that Terrell Buckley came back and had this big game, with two picks. And how good a player O-T-I-S could be, even at 37. Then there were people I could not remember. (At. all.) Like Cam Cleeland.

In his last-ever game on Fox, Madden is remembered for his opposition to the Patriots’ going for it at the end of SB 36 with the ball on their 15 and no time outs and 1:10 left. To his credit, he started to see his error in the midst of that drive, and said just before Vinatieri’s winning FG: “What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps.” In the second quarter of this game, his first on ABC, early in the third quarter he compares Brady to Joe Montana — probably the first media person to ever speak their names in the same sentence Of course, he qualifies it — [paraphrasing] –“I’m not saying he is Joe Montana, but he reminds me of him with his calmness, footwork, and ability to read defenses and deliver the ball to his receivers.” Well, guess what, John? You were right and then some.

Finally, all the penalties and picks show (a) how undisciplined the Steelers were under Cowher, never mind Tomlin; and (b) how bad Kordell Stewart really was.  Two INTs at the end of the 2001 AFCCG and two to start the first half here — and he wasn’t done, folks. :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar