Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/30/19 – 10/6/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 197 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Accomplishment wise they’ve drafted horribly, he signed all of those free agents like Ward/Talib/Ware that one year.  That’s really it.  Oddly they got a couple of good undrafted FAs like Chris Harris and one of the linebackers.  But guys like Lynch and Bolles were/are terrible, trading down with the Steelers sounded good but Noah Fant isn’t lighting the world on fire.  They signed some guard to a huge contract that told them he didn’t like football.

Not sure how much further upstairs he can go.  The big issue is still team ownership as more lawsuits get filed.  I guess it’s like if Logan Roy in Succession died and half siblings all battle royaled it out.  And Elway is a god in Colorado, make no mistake.  He could run for Senate or Governor and win in a landslide.  Elway is more money driven than competitive if you ask me, there’s no GM in the league that advertises products like he does.  He’d show up to the your kid’s birthday for the proverbial 50 bucks and a case of Heineken.  He’s done stupid well for himself since his playing days, made boatloads off his car dealerships.  His steak houses do well.  Allowed him to venture into stuff like arena football before the Broncos.  Then he did the figurehead President stuff before becoming GM, and he treats that like a part time job.  Like do Tom Dimitroff or Les Snead have any outside interests?  Elway has his steak places, he advertises locally for a financial company and is a spokesperson for some big pharma company where he does national rounds and was on shit like Today.  He’s different in that he’s a Hall of Fame player GM’ing the team he played for, so he’s a natural draw to sell shit.  But it’s weird.  Like if you were a finance or drug company would you say hey let’s get the GM of the Titans to be our spokesperson?  I couldn’t even tell you who that is.  But Elway?  He’s known and can sell snake oil at least in these parts.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Old Friend Jon Robinson?

Lebron
    Participant

Elway is turning into Spencer Strasmore.

Gonna give Jerry Jones the People’s Elbow?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I understand why Burfict got ejected yesterday and suspended for the rest of the season today, but, 30 years ago, that hit would have been featured on the NFL’s Thunder and Destruction highlight video. 15 years ago, ESPN would have been telling us that Jack Doyle got JACKED UP!

BrianInLA
    Participant

So Elway is basically Magic Johnson?

Lebron
    Participant

So Elway is basically Magic Johnson?

Yes, without the sex parties.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I hate the Steelers but they should win this OPI challenge.

Of course, they don’t.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Yahtzee.

Coma
    Participant

I hate the Steelers but they should win this OPI challenge.

Of course, they don’t.

It’s great that the NFL came up with a mechanism to address missed or erroneous PI calls and then uses it compound officiating mistakes.

Speaking of leagues rules, Baltimore had players get introduced last carrying baseball bats. This was a violation of a memo the league sent out in 2015, banning “foreign objects unrelated to the uniform or playing equipment,” but I never saw any comment from the league about this. We all know how important complying with league memos is, so is carrying out a shield with the team logo considered to be related to the uniform?

Edit to add: Yes, that’s really nitpicking something inconsequential, but if Jamie Collins was carrying out some prop, it would be news.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Coma.

Lebron
    Participant

The Bengals are worse than the Dolphins. Someone get Zac Taylor a fucking body bag

:lol: One of my favorite things on Twitter is how Bell thinks this is the genuine article.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’m still on board with the Vic Fangio hire. It was a smart, long-haul move to bring in a no-nonsense, respected adult in the room by John Elway

He’s 0-4 as a first time head coach at age 60 and he’s a “long-haul” move? I’d also question the ‘respected’ aspect as the players have already tuned him out. Chris Harris practically asked for a trade yesterday.

As pointed out numerous times his word choice is terrible.

He could defend his buddy Vic by saying he liked the shift away from offensive minded coach hires in Denver and how the broncos went opposite of the the trends league-wide. They been competitive and it will be interesting to see if they can turn some close losses into wins.

Instead it’s just the random thing that pops in his head that’s so poorly constructed and lacks any insight because he has to run to his next radio spot to support the NYC life.  He’s just awful.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Bills fans: “If  that hit had happened to Brady, you know he would have been ejected!”

Has… any defensive player ever been ejected due to a hit on Brady? Was Pollard even penalized?

Has any defensive player ever been ejected due to a hit on an elite QB: Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Rodgers? I can’t think of one, but something could’ve escaped my attention.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Someone paid $90k in an auction to watch sunday football with Simmons and Sal and then be on the podcast with both of them. 90 f’ing k? Please be Ironhead. Please be Ironhead. Please be….

chicowalker
    Participant

Someone paid $90k in an auction to watch sunday football with Simmons and Sal and then be on the podcast with both of them. 90 f’ing k? Please be Ironhead. Please be Ironhead. Please be….

If it was to play him 1 on 1 in hoops I’d crowd source it. not that i’m a great player but I’m convinced his whole back story of all the 2 on 2 games at Holy Cross is absolute bullshit.  I want to expose that to the world :lol:

“can’t do the behind the back” at 2:21 :puke:

Lebron
    Participant

I always wondered who wants to spend six figures on these Jimmy V fundraisers through ESPN and pay so much to spend the day with Adam Schefter or have lunch with Mike and Mike.  Why?  Donate the money, that’s great, but why would I waste a day or even an hour with people I don’t know?  I can’t imagine how horrible that Simmons Sal day would be.  Simmons retreat must stink worse than Pete’s fart bus.  I’d insist that we watch at his oceanside pad and I can tell you to shut the fuck up at any time.  And leave that Sal asshole at home.  Not that he’s better than Simmons or worse but you’d need to break up the Laurel and Hardy wannabes just to get through the day.

chicowalker
    Participant

2nd prize- spend the day with Bill and Sal!

1st prize- you don’t have to!

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I always wondered who wants to spend six figures on these Jimmy V fundraisers through ESPN and pay so much to spend the day with Adam Schefter or have lunch with Mike and Mike. Why? Donate the money, that’s great, but why would I waste a day or even an hour with people I don’t know? I can’t imagine how horrible that Simmons Sal day would be. Simmons retreat must stink worse than Pete’s fart bus. I’d insist that we watch at his oceanside pad and I can tell you to shut the fuck up at any time. And leave that Sal asshole at home. Not that he’s better than Simmons or worse but you’d need to break up the Laurel and Hardy wannabes just to get through the day.

You’re looking at this like a rational person. Meanwhile, there a lot of people out there who think that Mike and Mike were great, spending time with Schefter would be awesome and Joe Maddon really is a genius. Put another way, Two and Half Men didn’t stay on the air for 12 years because it was a brilliant comedy.

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Kind of related, this kid on Entitled Town basically said he’s too young and Simmons had already gone full HMSG by the time he was following the media so he’s never paid him any attention.

chicowalker
    Participant

so you spend the day trailing Schefter while he stares at his phone(s)?  That’s what I’d do- ask him why he needs more than one phone? Can an iphone be overrun with breathless rumors?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I think it would be fun to go to a Notre Dame game with Golic.

If you followed Shank around all day, what would that be? Sitting on a couch in Newton all day, then taking a column from 2003 and replacing all the Manny references with his minority target du jour?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

I always wondered who wants to spend six figures on these Jimmy V fundraisers through ESPN and pay so much to spend the day with Adam Schefter or have lunch with Mike and Mike. Why? Donate the money, that’s great, but why would I waste a day or even an hour with people I don’t know? I can’t imagine how horrible that Simmons Sal day would be. Simmons retreat must stink worse than Pete’s fart bus. I’d insist that we watch at his oceanside pad and I can tell you to shut the fuck up at any time. And leave that Sal asshole at home. Not that he’s better than Simmons or worse but you’d need to break up the Laurel and Hardy wannabes just to get through the day.

You’re looking at this like a rational person. Meanwhile, there a lot of people out there who think that Mike and Mike were great, spending time with Schefter would be awesome and Joe Maddon really is a genius. Put another way, Two and Half Men didn’t stay on the air for 12 years because it was a brilliant comedy.

Mike & Mike was fun that time when they had the fat one’s super-fan wife on screeching about ND. :weei:

And the Genius Joe thing is just inexplicable. Yeah, mediots are just dummies scavenging for the notebook fluff but many otherwise semi-intelligent people truly believe his self-invented garbage. It’s mindroasting.

chicowalker
    Participant

If you followed Shank around all day, what would that be? Sitting on a couch in Newton all day, then taking a column from 2003 and replacing all the Manny references with his minority target du jour?

Don’t forget the mile run :lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Sounds about right.

The very sight of the man is revolting. Who would want to see that close-up? :puke:

Twitter (Kevin & a few others from here?) had a thread about a Minifan caller who got through to 98.5 and said something like the worst Halloween costume for Shank would be a cop because his son would beat him up. :lol: :lol:   Shank was all, “Kill this!” It HAS to get to him.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Booking a room at a random Marriott so you can practice picking up road strange…

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar