Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/30/19 – 10/6/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 197 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

so you spend the day trailing Schefter while he stares at his phone(s)? That’s what I’d do- ask him why he needs more than one phone? Can an iphone be overrun with breathless rumors?

Years ago there was some study that people volunteered for and it was taking your phone for a week.  Some software CEO guy volunteered and he was a crying mess after 12 hours begging for his phone back.  I’d love to do that to ‘Schefty.’

But seriously I would guess most of the shit on his phone are his buddies or him looking at tv show recaps.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

so you spend the day trailing Schefter while he stares at his phone(s)? That’s what I’d do- ask him why he needs more than one phone? Can an iphone be overrun with breathless rumors?

Years ago there was some study that people volunteered for and it was taking your phone for a week. Some software CEO guy volunteered and he was a crying mess after 12 hours begging for his phone back. I’d love to do that to ‘Schefty.’

But seriously I would guess most of the shit on his phone are his buddies or him looking at tv show recaps.

I think so too. He doesn’t actively look for scoops, agents and team officials would shove their mom out of the way to text Schefter the second a meeting or call/text comes in with news.

Lebron
    Participant

He does spots on Golic/Wingo and you can get an idea of what is on his phone as he screws with his phone the entire time.  He’s running through twitter or looking at websites.

chicowalker
    Participant

If you followed Shank around all day, what would that be? Sitting on a couch in Newton all day, then taking a column from 2003 and replacing all the Manny references with his minority target du jour?

Booking a room at a random Marriott so you can practice picking up road strange…

this is horrifying/fascinating. Do you think *if* he is successful at this pursuit, it’s because he has some degree of fame? Or is he laying on the ol’ Shaughnessy charm? Either scenario is wretched

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I just enjoyed the lack of the word allegedly in there.

Participant

2 users thanked author for this post.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

How did those interviews go last week?

Mark
    Participant

If you followed Shank around all day, what would that be? Sitting on a couch in Newton all day, then taking a column from 2003 and replacing all the Manny references with his minority target du jour?

Booking a room at a random Marriott so you can practice picking up road strange…

this is horrifying/fascinating. Do you think *if* he is successful at this pursuit, it’s because he has some degree of fame? Or is he laying on the ol’ Shaughnessy charm? Either scenario is wretched

There are “rumors” that this is a real thing that has happened.

Mark
    Participant

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Mark.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d call that a triumphant return by Mark.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

:ohmy:

:lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Some beer vendor tried running a guy’s card for 700 bucks for 2 beers at a Dolphins game.  I assumed that’s what beers were at Red Sox games.

Big Fat O
    Participant

If Powder decides to let Betts and Martinez go and not put up a strong offer everyone needs to stay home and send him a message.

He wants to raise ticket prices a “nominal” amount and cut payroll for signings (Price, etc) he was ok with because Fans expect a contender based on the ticket prices.

ill give him credit for putting a quality product on the field but he’s been part of the payroll program too.

Yahtzee
    Participant

If Powder decides to let Betts and Martinez go and not put up a strong offer everyone needs to stay home and send him a message.

He wants to raise ticket prices a “nominal” amount and cut payroll for signings (Price, etc) he was ok with because Fans expect a contender based on the ticket prices.

ill give him credit for putting a quality product on the field but he’s been part of the payroll program too.

He can get away with losing one but people will be pissed if both.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d call that a triumphant return by Mark.

I’ll allow it.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

When did Ted Johnson turn into such a shoe peeing asshat?

Do the hottakes dance for your supper Ted.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Betts gone and Martinez stays, not sure how anyone would be happy with that.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Good point.

This will be fun.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Betts gone and Martinez stays, not sure how anyone would be happy with that.

I agree, team needs to find a way to keep Betts. Sox brass are doing internet searches looking for where Betts said he liked it there so they can offer a hometown discount package.

Martinez’s and Price’s opt outs were probably for this reason of win now and after that go test free agency after the team reaches its goal.

chicowalker
    Participant

How did those interviews go last week?

great! Had rounds 1 and 2, should hear something about final some time this week

Lebron
    Participant

Martinez’s opt in/out is $23.75 million.  Plus he has opt outs the next season and maybe the season after that?  Unless he feels like a long term deal is out there he might just pull a Price and take his money.

Edit:  It might be team options, $2.5 million buyout this year, no buyouts the following.  And his salary goes down after this year to $19.35 in ’21 and ’22 so he might want to jump.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Lebron.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I am for Betts staying and getting a big contract, you rarely get a five tool player like him. Betts is the one prospect that turned out great you find a way to keep him instead of trade him for luxury tax relief.

This luxury tax is now whats going to cause Fenway Park to close down….my ass.

Participant

Wonder if they’ll run the standard smear campaign if Betts leaves?

Participant

I am for Betts staying and getting a big contract, you rarely get a five tool player like him. Betts is the one prospect that turned out great you find a way to keep him instead of trade him for luxury tax relief.

This luxury tax is now whats going to cause Fenway Park to close down….my ass.

“Not on my watch pal!”

Mike Barnicle shares his memories of a life spent, in ...

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar