Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/30/19 – 10/6/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 197 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Hacksaw
    Participant

Wonder if they’ll run the standard smear campaign if Betts leaves?

“We offered him 4 years at $10 Million per year. He said he would get back to us and never called us back. See we tried”

Big Fat O
    Participant

Powder is raising ticket prices so he should have enough to cover Betts.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I think Bill Belichick feels so good about this team, he’s on a mission to prove every former draft pick was a good choice. I think he could add me at tight end and they’d still win the Super Bowl.

Did enjoy his shot at Felger even if he probably did it in a good natured way.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Ding away, but Betts through 2019 is the best Red Sox player this Olde Bastard has ever seen. I admired Yaz, and many of my contemporaries somehow think he was better than Betts is, but he was not a five-tool player like Betts. And while he played 23 years (and was well paid for the privilege), and 1967 “changed everything” :dry: , only in 1970 did he come close to that level of production again.

I’ll turn in my Fagola Horn if they let Betts walk — 100 years after the Ruth sale. Maybe DeJesus can author “The Curse of the Bettsino” in 2050.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Has anybody seen a reasonably scenario in which the Sox get out from under Price’s contract such that Mookie get that money instead of him? Noting against Price by I’d rather have Betts.

Feejis
    Participant

If Betts wants to leave they can’t make him stay. I thought we were past all that “get him in a room” stuff here.

Lebron
    Participant

Hi Scartsy!

Hacksaw
    Participant

I am ok if Betts wants to leave, I think the Red Sox crying the luxury tax is the problem is a joke.

If the Red Sox signed Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez for big contracts during the same free agent year and ownership was back patting itself for those signings, they can easily sign Betts if its about the money.

rclane
    Participant

How’s the kickball team doing? Will they be cutting costs as well?

NASCL
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t get the impression anyone is looking for get him in a room or the dog whistle ‘team friendly’ deal.  Preemptively and publicly saying gosh gee we may not be able to sign Betts because of money is the complaint.

Feejis
    Participant

I don’t get the impression anyone is looking for get him in a room or the dog whistle ‘team friendly’ deal. Preemptively and publicly saying gosh gee we may not be able to sign Betts because of money is the complaint.

I’m admittedly not following closely. But I though he had made some comments recently saying he was going to hit FA after next year no matter what. Perhaps driven by the fact that they’re offering him a low deal because they don’t want to pay the tax?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Feejis.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Offer him Trout money and he stays in Boston. He’s the best player they’ve had in forever, is very likable to everyone and to NOW say “hold on, we need to scale back” after all of the insane signings they’ve made is just insane and will be a PR nightmare, spin or no spin. They did it with Francona who won them their first Tital in 86 years. They’ll do it with anyone. If he were to sign with the Yankees I think fans will burn Fenway down.

Then again they DID fire the GM less than a year after winning 108 games and yet another Tital while bringing back basically the exact same team. Its not as if this was a Marlins deal where they won and then sold off everyone. Twice.

Lebron
    Participant

Gostkowski to IR

GusChiggins
    Participant

Just got fined £200,000 for fielding an illegal player in a cup match. Raise ticket prices.

Participant

Just got fined £200,000 for fielding an illegal player in a cup match. Raise ticket prices.

What about the “integrity” of the pitch?

Larry Legend
    Participant

Get well soon  “Double Thump”

BrianInLA
    Participant

Gostkowski to IR

Cue the shoe peeing…

Even though last week everyone on twitter wanted to cut him. Now the season is over.

Lebron
    Participant

I’d love if Bill stood at the podium and invited any college kicker – granted you have to be 3 years removed from graduating high school – who wants to show up and get paid get on a plane and get up here.  Like that Georgia kicker.  Why not, the NFL scrap heap isn’t that appealing right now.  Of course all of the people screaming about college sports being a scam not paying players and its all bullshit would have a stroke that Bill is destroying the sanctity of amateurism.

Lebron
    Participant

Interesting, the A’s have lost 8 straight playoff elimination games.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nats had something similar going as well, right?

jforb
    Participant

Just blew a 3-0 lead in the Champions League
    ed: unfortunately with 30 minutes left so they’re back up

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  jforb.

Lebron
    Participant

Nats had something similar going as well, right?

Yeah, I thought they won that Cubs series in ’17 for some reason.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Nickelback has to be the bottom, no?

Hacksaw
    Participant

Interesting, the A’s have lost 8 straight playoff elimination games.

Speaking of the A’s, Ed Sprague is a GM in training there. He has a new style of working with young players and their stats from a GM perspective. Wonder if the Red Sox looking at him and waiting until the A’s are done.

My source is PAC 12 Coach at a recent camp by son went to.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar