Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/4 – 9/9 NFL Week 1 weekly thread

This topic contains 317 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 318 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

I gotta think that with all the shit Bell pulls most of the other Steelers would like to hold a soap party in his honor ala “Full Metal Jacket”

@EdBouchette
    1h1 hour ago

More Ramon Foster on Bell: “He’s making 7 times what I make twice as much as Al (Villanueva) is making and we’re the guys who do it for him.”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Rick Pitino left no doubt on Wednesday, saying “I’m finished coaching” during an appearance on ESPN’s “Get Up.”

Lebron
    Participant

And for all any of us know Belichick wrote the letter and someone else wrote the op-ed. Or they were simply written differently, like you take more time and care to write an op-ed and go over it than writing a good luck type letter to a friend that’s not even intended to be public. Admittedly I’ve never read either.

For a guy that loathes Goodell and read/commented so much on the air in footballs stuff, you seem to be following the same logic of Goodell/Wells Report. Draw a conclusion, then back out of it. Kraft is a hopeless sycophant who only cares about himself and his image. Screw any facts, heck screw people who say what actually happened. Sorry, not interested. Belichick says he wrote the letter? Nope, I don’t believe it. Brady said 3 years ago Trump gave him the hat thru Kraft but nope, can’t be as simple as that. Kraft had to plan something nefarious because he’s such a suck up. Brady is savvy, Kraft isn’t.

There are a couple things here. First, I’m just giving my opinion and am always open to being convinced differently if I’m wrong. I like and trust the people on this forum, and value your opinions over any other place talking sports. We’re a more informed lot, we generally don’t make kneejerk conclusions, and we pick up nuance. As for my part, if I’m wrong on shit, I’ll own it, as I think I’ve done in the past.

I don’t think I’m working backwards from my conclusion. One of the first things I ever wrote on a football forum was a Kraft defense in the Kraft/Parcells/McDonough thing in 1997. But over the years, little things started to grate: the mandatory “Mr.” Kraft thing, the Lombardi Trophy world tour, the constant need to be on camera, the 283 diamonds, the repeated “we are all Patriots” speech, the trademarking of “unequivocally the sweetest”, the talking to Myers about Spygate (“then you’re a schmuck” is a make-Kraft-look-good story) and on and on. His Deflategate capitulation was a culmination for me, not the starting point to work backwards. I agree Kraft didn’t have a choice; if he sued, he’d lose. But he still fucked up how he handled the press, his fellow owners, and how he tried to gladhand Goodell (which predictably failed). One of the only takeaways from “12” was Kraft’s acceptance of the penalties took Brady completely by surprise, so he didn’t even have the presence of mind to discuss it with Brady first. Maybe the hat was a happenstance and I don’t know shit. I’ll cop to that. But I cringe every time Kraft’s on camera, wondering what he’ll fuck up next.

Maybe Belichick wrote the letter and not the Op Ed. Sure, possibly. It’s just that everything Trump reads that somebody else wrote to/for/about him sounds just like Epstein’s mother’s notes, and using the exact expressions Trump uses, going all the way back to “John Barron” singing Trump’s praises. Belichick said he wrote the letter, so what the fuck do I know?

I don’t see Kraft as any different from most owners, or any owner, it’s just that his team is on an unparalleled track of success so we see more of him.  We are all Patriots is no worse than the Broncos This one’s for John/This one’s for you/This one’s for Pat for example, or the Niners and Eddie Debartolo talking 3peat prior to the end of SB 24.  After a while I’m sure they hand you a trophy and there’s really nothing original to say anymore.  I’m never going to have a problem with him taking his shots when he has the opportunity, either with ‘unequivocally the sweetest’ or the 283 diamonds because lord knows everyone is taking their shots at the Patriots all the time.  You had assholes saying they shouldn’t be playing in 49, that it was all over for Brady/Belichick etc.  Same season as we’re on to Cincy and the media asking if they’re evaluating the QB position.  Or the 283 diamonds, Gomez Addams Blank can shove it up his fucking ass.  He was down on the field ready to party, then he wants to cry like a fucking baby to the media boo hoo that’s not in good taste.  Maybe your stupid dancing ass isn’t in good taste to the losing teams either you creepy fuck.  Fuck you.  The other owners are jealous of the success and how they do it, and so is the media.  All the garbage they still spew about 1st round picks and franchise QBs and shutdown corners and $15 mil per year guys who can catch with 1 hand in warmups and feature running backs and monster edge rushers.  They hate that the Patriots mostly defied all that on their way to winning.

I’ve never cared about Kraft calling Bill a schmuck.  He asked Bill the value of the video and Bill’s response was little – on a scale of 1-100 he said the value was 1.   He is Belichick’s boss, he can get pissed at him.  Getting back to the business aspect you’d jettison employees spending time on anything bringing that little of value, especially if it has risk associated with it.  And that’s all he said or did.  Belichick gets pissed at Brady too.  I hate Gary Myers but I also don’t like the guys that Ortiz or Francona or Pedro collaborated on books with either.  Is anyone writing books on Shad Khan or Terry Pegula or Jimmy Haslam, or interviewing them about their success?  Anything remotely interesting even happening with those franchises?  League going after any of those franchises, media openly cheering in press boxes if they lose?  No one cares about those teams or those owners.  Like it or not the Patriots have had shit happen to them, so people write about them and in some cases they get direct quotes/participation.  As far as this new book is concerned, we’ve shot down Wickersham’s unnamed sourced work repeatedly, now we’re going to accept this guy’s unnamed sourced work* because it’s Brady being mad at Kraft about support?  Plus I don’t get why Brady would call DeMaurice Smith and yell about it especially with regard to Kraft.  Smith is the head of the NFLPA, not like he has a great relationship with owners.

*Guessing it’s not named sources, if it is then disregard.

Lebron
    Participant

Rick Pitino left no doubt on Wednesday, saying “I’m finished coaching” during an appearance on ESPN’s “Get Up.”

Speaking of Get Up I see they’ve knocked that thing back to 2 hours and basically rotated Beadle off the show, probably sealed the deal with the I don’t watch football they treat women poorly I can’t wait for the NBA comments (looks glowingly at a Kobe photo say aren’t they inducting wife beater Jason Kidd into the HOF this weekend).  I see they rotated in Laura Rutledge, old friend Josh Rutledge’s wife.  She doesn’t appear to be unattractive.

Coma
    Participant

Speaking of Get Up I see they’ve knocked that thing back to 2 hours and basically rotated Beadle off the show, probably sealed the deal with the I don’t watch football they treat women poorly I can’t wait for the NBA comments (looks glowingly at a Kobe photo say aren’t they inducting wife beater Jason Kidd into the HOF this weekend). I see they rotated in Laura Rutledge, old friend Josh Rutledge’s wife. She doesn’t appear to be unattractive.

I saw an article last week that mentioned, in addition to Beadle moving to NBA coverage, Jalen Rose was going to have his role reduced. That makes Mike Greenberg the lynchpin of the retooled show. There’s no way that strategy can fail.

Feejis
    Participant

Speaking of not unattractive females, I’ll miss seeing that cut Browns QB’s girlfriend. In the words of Frost Class Mark, she was a bit of alright.

Coma
    Participant

8883 Members

101 Lifetime

I looked last night and the count was at 8875. 14+ months in and Bedard hasn’t been able to crack 9k subscribers. During the majority of that time, he didn’t have any paysite competition and all the local teams played in the postseason. How much will the “New York money” at the Athletic slow the BSJ’s growth? What will happen if the Sox/Celts/Pats/Bruins aren’t near the top of their division and fan interest declines?

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Speaking of not unattractive females, I’ll miss seeing that cut Browns QB’s girlfriend. In the words of Frost Class Mark, she was a bit of alright.

I thought we were talking about Beadle?  :blink:

Coma
    Participant

Get ready for all of the September swoon talk and here comes Team X.

Shank should be dusting off all of the 78 articles as we speak.

I’ve noticed a general trend on social media when discussing Shank. Shank will have some crappy take on a local team and the majority of people responding will blast him. There’s a contingent, though, that will support Shank because he’s in the media and isn’t supposed to be a cheerleader for the team. That’s fine, even if you go the extra step and say he’s a columnist so he doesn’t have to be objective. Shank’s defenders miss the point, because he’s not getting flak because he had a negative opinion. He’s getting criticized because he’s opinions are exclusively negative. Has he ever tweeted out something positive about a team rallying or an exceptional play? Being 50/50 wouldn’t make him a cheerleader. Even finding something to complain about 80% of the time would be fine, but he can’t even manage that.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Brandon Phillips to become the first Red Sox to ever wear the number 0 tonight. Not sure if that’s honorable or not.

His go ahead home run was however quite honorable

MLB teams were 487-0 when leading by 6 or more entering the 8th inning this season until today.

jforb
    Participant

8883 Members

101 Lifetime

I looked last night and the count was at 8875. 14+ months in and Bedard hasn’t been able to crack 9k subscribers. During the majority of that time, he didn’t have any paysite competition and all the local teams played in the postseason. How much will the “New York money” at the Athletic slow the BSJ’s growth? What will happen if the Sox/Celts/Pats/Bruins aren’t near the top of their division and fan interest declines?

I set up that script to check daily back in May, it’s gone up 500 since then. And as people have pointed out, it’s never gone down, so there’s a good chance there’s a bunch of inactive accounts being included.

Guessing neither of the Athletic or fan interest declines will really effect him since he’s not big enough for anything to be noticeable.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Coach Betard will get people to pay since he goes on Felger every week and people think he knows something worth paying for.

The true stat is whether people renew. He may have automatic renewals so most people don’t even notice it. If they need to resubscibe I wonder what the numbers are.

Maybe he knows something but he’s a condescending dick who thinks he’s smarter than the coach. Anyone is a genius the day after the game or play after.

It will never happen but I’d love to see him next to B.B. during a real game and BB turn to him and ask “what should we do here”. I hope he would have dark pants on so you wouldn’t see the shit stain. I think Coach Betard isn’t dumb enough to ever get in a situation like that.

Feejis
    Participant

I’m wearing the free shirt I got from the athletic right now.

I plan to wear it every week to the indoor soccer place this winter because I’ve seen Bedard there a handful of times.

Lebron
    Participant

That’s awesome.  I’d have a hard time not cracking wise within earshot : they’re coverage is so hyperlocal, and with all that New York money!  I don’t know how they do it!

Suzy
    Participant

Watched the Sox replay tonight. What a win. Brandon Phillips looked like he was going to burst with pure joy even though he knew it was gone when he hit it. Awesome.

Also enjoyed the BBTL/Lebron back-and-forth today. This is exactly why I love this place so much–two knowledgeable, smart posters holding an intelligent, respectful discussion with great points on both sides. No BS, no name calling, no crap. So rare–except for here.

chicowalker
    Participant

Man, I have to start skipping the last episode of hard knocks.  Cajuste! Can you imagine having to listen to a thanksdad little shit like Eliot Wolf tell you to improve your blocking? He should have shoved one of his infinity stones up his ass.

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t believe Hue Jackson is a head coach.  And that Nassib guy is a rock head.  Fits in perfectly with the Bucs and their dipshit coach

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Watched the Sox replay tonight. What a win. Brandon Phillips looked like he was going to burst with pure joy even though he knew it was gone when he hit it. Awesome.

:lol:   Phillips swung so hard, he nearly came out of his shoes. Love his nickname: “Dat Dude.”   :lol:  The condensed game on YouTube has the Braves’ feed.  They go from crowing to eating crow in the space of two innings.

Hacksaw
    Participant

😆 Phillips swung so hard, he nearly came out of his shoes. Love his nickname: “Dat Dude.” 😆 The condensed game on YouTube has the Braves’ feed. They go from crowing to eating crow in the space of two innings.

Wilson Sporting Goods and Phillips design a pretty cool baseball glove called DATDUDE. It goes for about $350.00

Also this weekend I went to Ian Kinsler’s Warstic Baseball bat store in Downtown Dallas. They make custom bats for pro’s and kids. You test out what type of wood bat(birch, maple, oak) you like then you design it on their computer and they ship it to you three weeks later.

Participant

Today’s mid life crisis is next week’s – HE’S HAVING A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN!!!!.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I’m about a third of the way through “Big Game”.  Lots of self-hating patriots fan BS from the author and his conflicted emotions rooting for a team with so much “swirling controversy” and a crotchety coach.  Also though a lot of interesting insight into just how loathsome most of the owners are, confirmation of everything we know is terrible about the Sheriff, a bit more of a look into how kooky Brady is and I just finished a section on TB senior which was entertaining.  Fully stocked beer cooler in tow for his granddaughter’s 10:30 am softball game puts him right in this board’s demographic.  So far it was worth my audible point for the month.

chicowalker
    Participant

has Brady Sr. ever been seen at Pricks and Micks?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I’m about a third of the way through “Big Game”. Lots of self-hating patriots fan BS from the author and his conflicted emotions rooting for a team with so much “swirling controversy” and a crotchety coach. Also though a lot of interesting insight into just how loathsome most of the owners are, confirmation of everything we know is terrible about the Sheriff, a bit more of a look into how kooky Brady is and I just finished a section on TB senior which was entertaining. Fully stocked beer cooler in tow for his granddaughter’s 10:30 am softball game puts him right in this board’s demographic. So far it was worth my audible point for the month.

Things are starting to make sense. Schefter and Leibovich must know to reach out to Brady Sr. after he has had a few.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

GusChiggins
    Participant

$350 for a ball glove? Having a catch ain’t so simple anymore.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not that anyone should rush over there and give them clicks, but The Baseball Paper has a pretty good piece on Bill Belichick’s year (1970-71) as a post-graduate student at Phillips Andover, where he met and befriended Ernie Adams, played center on PA’s undefeated football team (Adams played guard), and was exposed to longtime PA coach Steve Sorota, one of the seminal influences on his career. (Funny: I don’t know if Belichick has ever mentioned his coach at Wesleyan …) Interesting thing is that, in those days of freshman football and three-year varsity, Belichick’s team played (and defeated) frosh teams from Williams, Tufts and Dartmouth. It played Phillips Exeter, of course, and had an overnight trip to Lawrenceville School in New Jersey.

All right, old boy: that’s quite enough Independent School talk for today. You’ll be in for a caning otherwise!  Besides, Halberstam covered this topic in The Education of a Coach quite adequately.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar