Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/9/19 – 9/15/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 226 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 227 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Brown was on Simmons podcast back in February and when asked which teams he’d love to play for the only two he mentioned were New England and KC. Is it that suspicious that Brown told his agent “Hey, call NE and KC first” when he asked to be released? Then again I would think any agent would be calling the Pats first whenever any of their clients get released. As opposed to say, Detroit or the Dolphins. Play for a stellar organization, be in the hunt to win a ring every season and then collect a huge payday on the back end. Its every agents dream scenario. Yet to the average mouth breathing football fan there have to be secret shenanigans going on.

Serious question – whom does Rosenhaus call?  Bill directly? Jonathan?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Shefter saying the Pats added a $20 million option year as well.

Feejis
    Participant

In addition, the casual fan (ie EVERY person in my department this morning who actually follows football) thinks that Brown was a free agent and signed with the Raiders and then sabotaged the entire thing. I pointed out that he was TRADED to the Raiders and didn’t really have a say in the matter. And in realty if you could play with Derek Carr or Tom Brady which one would YOU choose? After they all frantically Googled it to see that I was correct the new common theme is “Well…..there SHOULD be a rule against this”. Against what? A team taking a $15 million chance on a receiver? If KC had signed him would there be the same outrage?

Brown is a douche. He didn’t have control but in a way he did (didn’t he refuse to report if he went to BUF?). In any event after he was dealt he signed a new contract with Oakland – which he then obviously regretted.

I don’t really care because regardless of all that, the Raiders didn’t have to release him. They chose to make him a free agent just months after signing him to a new deal. What’s he supposed to do, never work again?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lefty

Brown was on Simmons podcast back in February and when asked which teams he’d love to play for the only two he mentioned were New England and KC. Is it that suspicious that Brown told his agent “Hey, call NE and KC first” when he asked to be released? Then again I would think any agent would be calling the Pats first whenever any of their clients get released. As opposed to say, Detroit or the Dolphins. Play for a stellar organization, be in the hunt to win a ring every season and then collect a huge payday on the back end. Its every agents dream scenario. Yet to the average mouth breathing football fan there have to be secret shenanigans going on.

Serious question – whom does Rosenhaus call? Bill directly? Jonathan?

I have to assume those calls all start with Greg Bedard

5 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

As opposed to the legendary Boston Globe Sports Dept. Dan?

“As ever, Patriot Nation is smug, arrogant, and oh so satisfied.”

jforb
    Participant

Hey, he got 18 subscribers yesterday. Only 36 days from 10200 to 10300, which is a slight speed up.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Shefter saying the Pats added a $20 million option year as well.

The Revis Special

Lebron
    Participant

Pete questioning out loud the Patriots signing of Brown and the likely shenanigans that took place.  Of course Pete has added an ‘analytics’ blurb even further peppered with PFF mentions and a link to a PFF Elite subscription.  I’m sure Collinsworth isn’t giving him a cut or anything, it’s all on the up and up.

Lebron
    Participant

g. Wow, Gardner Minshew. Didn’t know you had a nine-for-nine NFL half in you, and a competitive game against the defending top seed in the AFC. Good for you.

That doesn’t sound patronizing as fuck.   Throw him an extra treat.  His asshole game gets better with age.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

“Reporter Dianna Russini told me Sunday night that Gruden said Brown was never really all-in because he wasn’t there a lot. “We felt for Jon,” Russini said. “He looked like he’d been through hell. I sensed relief that it was over, but it really took a toll on him.”

He’s Chucky and he deserves to be treated with respect.

:lol:

Man, what a great day we have here.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

In addition, the casual fan (ie EVERY person in my department this morning who actually follows football) thinks that Brown was a free agent and signed with the Raiders and then sabotaged the entire thing. I pointed out that he was TRADED to the Raiders and didn’t really have a say in the matter. And in realty if you could play with Derek Carr or Tom Brady which one would YOU choose? After they all frantically Googled it to see that I was correct the new common theme is “Well…..there SHOULD be a rule against this”. Against what? A team taking a $15 million chance on a receiver? If KC had signed him would there be the same outrage?

Brown is a douche. He didn’t have control but in a way he did (didn’t he refuse to report if he went to BUF?). In any event after he was dealt he signed a new contract with Oakland – which he then obviously regretted.

I don’t really care because regardless of all that, the Raiders didn’t have to release him. They chose to make him a free agent just months after signing him to a new deal. What’s he supposed to do, never work again?

You’re right, in terms of the trade.  Bills had a deal in place….reportedly.

So he did navigate a trade to the team of his choice.

Suzy
    Participant

g. Wow, Gardner Minshew. Didn’t know you had a nine-for-nine NFL half in you, and a competitive game against the defending top seed in the AFC. Good for you.

That doesn’t sound patronizing as fuck. Throw him an extra treat. His asshole game gets better with age.

The condescending smarm really is beyond the pale, even for this asshole. I live for the day he gets the shit kicked out of him.

Coma
    Participant

The time out with 6 seconds left was awesome. After the debacle in Miami last year I can see where Bill would want to make sure that shit never happens again and to treat every possible situation on the field as a learning experience as it looked like he wanted to get the Hail Mary team in there. Far be it from either of the chucklehead announcers to even sniff that logic however and instead do their snide “I don’t understand this” passive aggressive bullshit.

Did Collinsworth and Michaels ever question why Roethlisberger was in there for that final drive? Or why Pittsburgh exclusively passed (9 passing attempts) for that entire drive? The Steelers were down 30 with just over 2 minutes left. The game was over and the Steelers had lost. Being able to say they lost by 23 really doesn’t make a difference. The smart course of action would have been to put your backup QB and RB out there, run the ball to run out the clock, and focus on being better next week. It servers the Steelers right that Smith-Schuster got banged up on that final drive. A smart coach would have had him on the bench at that point.

As far as Belichick calling a TO with 6 seconds left, the Steelers were still trying to score, but the Patriots should just lay down because, I don’t know, it would be nice? A few years ago, in the game where Tomlin was subjected to Zolak’s radio call in his headset, the Steelers finished the game the same way. They had no chance to win on their final drive, but they left their offensive starters in, used all their timeouts and scored with 2 seconds left. Like their last drive last night, it was pointless and petty, so maybe Belichick calling the TO was a little FU to Tomlin and company.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Gardiner Minshew?  That sounds made up.  The Bob Sacamano of young QBs.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Fact: Since January 2000, the Patriots have had one head coach and one general manager.  Since January 2000, the Red Sox (owned by John W. Henry and partners since February 2002) have had seven “head coaches” (not counting Lovullo) and seven general managers (counting Cherington and Epstein only once, and not counting the four-headed beast they have running the show as of this morning). If I were a member of “Patriot Nation,” I’d feel pretty smug, arrogant and oh-so-satisfied, too.

:lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Larry Legend
    Participant

:blink: :pk:

Coma
    Participant

Hey sports fans! Don’t enjoy that your team just celebrated their latest championship and then won in convincing fashion. Be miserable, like me.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

If BB was interested in Brown before the Raiders deal doesn’t it make sense Rosenhaus to call him first?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Gardiner Minshew? That sounds made up. The Bob Sacamano of young QBs.

I would have guess that Gardner Minshew was the real name of a forgotten DC Comics Superhero from the 40’s.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Tomlin kicked the field goal because he didn’t want to be shut out.  Belichick called that timeout because he didn’t want to give up a touchdown at the end of the game.  And yes, it probably was because the guy on the other sideline isn’t one of his favorites.  It’s not really that hard.

I didn’t see Pete mention anything about Brother John running a fake punt up 32 a couple of minutes before the half.  Hey, just trying to work the kinks out.  He’s a friend of the show and all.

Lebron
    Participant

Losing a coin flip in OT, yeah because their defense sucks so bad and can’t make a stop against monsterthrottlin’ KC.

Lebron
    Participant

In Pete’s twisted world shouldn’t he want the game to be in New England, so the visiting team can call the coin toss if it goes to OT?  They lost the coin toss last night, does Pete think they win every coin toss?

Lefty

Here’s another reason why maybe Rosenhaus thought of the Patriots.

Let’s accept that Brown is whacked in the head and/or a bad seed.    While it doesn’t fit the one dimensional evil narrative created of Bill Belichick, people like Jim Brown and Bill Russel consider BB a friend and call him unparalleled in his behind the scenes commitment to people in gangs, prisons, etc.   Players like Moss, Ochocinco and others with reps for being unbalanced or otherwise talk about how much they like and respect BB well after their time here ended.

Why can’t it be that Rosenhaus knows Brown is at the end of the rope and made the decision to contact the Patriots because he knows BB works with people with issues like Brown and has had some success with some, but certainly not all.   Who else is going to do that?   Sean McVay?  Jason Garrett? Bruce Arians?

I don’t think for a minute that Rosenhaus is a great humanitarian and fully believe he is trying to salvage his interest.   But, there are a lot of reasons to consider why the Pats were called beyond the idea that it was some underhanded backroom deal.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Last four first half’s points given up for the Pats defense:

Chargers 7 (down 35-7)

KC 0

LAR 0

Pit 0

But yes, coin flip. :wall:

Lefty

Losing a coin flip in OT, yeah because their defense sucks so bad and can’t make a stop against monsterthrottlin’ KC.

We all know no one has ever won the toss and been stopped by a defense in overtime.   It’s not like it happened in the other conference championship game last year or anything.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 227 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar