Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/9/19 – 9/15/19 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 227 total)
  • Author

1 user thanked author for this post.

:blink: :blink:

Participant

It was a fun couple of days though wasn’t it?

BrianInLA
    Participant

18-1?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Question, does firing the President of Baseball Operations mean the season is over?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Question, does firing the President of Baseball Operations mean the season is over?

I’m torn. He did win 108 games last year as well as the World Series and has won 3 straight division titles but on the other hand…..uh, ya. Um, bad contracts? Tough crowd.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Pats fans on the Twitter think the Pats should cut Brown. “Big Pats fans”. Burden of proof? Nah. Fucking idiots. I cant imagine hating a fanbase more than the Boston one. No offense to the fine folks on here.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I’m torn. He did win 108 games last year as well as the World Series and has won 3 straight division titles but on the other hand…..uh, ya. Um, bad contracts? Tough crowd.

Thought he made some good trades, never ever heard any trade rumors that lasted six weeks, figured out how to get rid of Sandoval, and didn’t get to choose his manager until after 2017.

He was probably hired to use the resources they have and win now, then the plan was to get a new person to restock a farm system.

jforb
    Participant

I’ll let the courts decide the case but those messages make me doubt his intelligence and ability to get the offense.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Pats fans on the Twitter think the Pats should cut Brown. “Big Pats fans”. Burden of proof? Nah. Fucking idiots. I cant imagine hating a fanbase more than the Boston one. No offense to the fine folks on here.

As much as the drama is exhausting (and I was against this signing before it happened), it’d be a mistake to do that. You’d just be encouraging false civil accusations against rich athletes because not only is the lawsuit itself a weapon, but simply the act of threatening it or filing it could result in the accused immediately having his contract voided by a nervous team who doesn’t want the PR problems. Then the union gets involved.

For every guilty Weinstein, there are a lot of real grifters and crazy revengers. I don’t trust anybody. If it were me (and I knew about this and his side of the story before I signed the guy), best to sit tight. By the time the trial happens he won’t be on the team anymore anyway. He’s a short term rental.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Thought he made some good trades, never ever heard any trade rumors that lasted six weeks, figured out how to get rid of Sandoval, and didn’t get to choose his manager until after 2017.

He was probably hired to use the resources they have and win now, then the plan was to get a new person to restock a farm system.

The farm system is toast and they are faced with some hard decisions going forward if they want to get back under the luxury tax. That means either letting Betts walk or letting JD go. However Devers and Bogaerts are going to be amazing going forward. Maybe they blame him for the Pearce, Eovaldi contracts. Again, tough crowd.

jforb
    Participant

Have you read Speier’s book? One of the big takeaways was that the perfect person for moment a may be the wrong one for moment b. True for Francona and Farrell and probably true for Dombrowski.

Which really makes the fact that Belichick has adapted to every team for 20 years more remarkable.

Coma
    Participant

If all the Antonio Brown allegations happened last year, why isn’t anyone asking what the Steelers knew and when or why the Raiders traded for him and gave him a big contract? He’s been on the Patriots for 48 hours, but they are somehow 100% responsible for Brown’s actions.

NASCL
    Participant

Eff Joe Gill.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Feejis
    Participant

As much as the drama is exhausting (and I was against this signing before it happened), it’d be a mistake to do that. You’d just be encouraging false civil accusations against rich athletes because not only is the lawsuit itself a weapon, but simply the act of threatening it or filing it could result in the accused immediately having his contract voided by a nervous team who doesn’t want the PR problems. Then the union gets involved.

For every guilty Weinstein, there are a lot of real grifters and crazy revengers. I don’t trust anybody. If it were me (and I knew about this and his side of the story before I signed the guy), best to sit tight. By the time the trial happens he won’t be on the team anymore anyway. He’s a short term rental.

They’re obviously keeping him for now based on their statement this am. But I can’t imagine they cared about it from a more global “encouraging allegations by others” standpoint. This was definitely known to all before he signed.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

They’re obviously keeping him for now based on their statement this am. But I can’t imagine they cared about it from a more global “encouraging allegations by others” standpoint.

I’m not saying they did. Just that it would be a terrible precedent for that reason and they shouldn’t do it. If the suit is bullshit, it would be a panic move ultimately done for nothing.

This was definitely known to all before he signed.

It’s being reported they didn’t know. I’m skeptical, of course.

Lefty

I just figure this gives Goodell and his gaggle of anti-Pats shithead owners pretext to suspend Brown.    Allegedly due to these allegations, but in reality as his “comeuppance” for working his way out of Oakland and not ending up with one of the sainted franchises.

Feejis
    Participant

They’re obviously keeping him for now based on their statement this am. But I can’t imagine they cared about it from a more global “encouraging allegations by others” standpoint.

I’m not saying they did. Just that it would be a terrible precedent for that reason and they shouldn’t do it. If the suit is bullshit, it would be a panic move ultimately done for nothing.

This was definitely known to all before he signed.

It’s being reported they didn’t know. I’m skeptical, of course.

Go tit.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

“Commissioner’s Exempt List.” The media hordes are all over this.

Lebron
    Participant

The farm system is toast and they are faced with some hard decisions going forward if they want to get back under the luxury tax. That means either letting Betts walk or letting JD go. However Devers and Bogaerts are going to be amazing going forward. Maybe they blame him for the Pearce, Eovaldi contracts. Again, tough crowd.

Martinez has the player opt out this year I think.  With Pearce and especially Eovaldi the people who were screaming for them to re-sign both are likely the ones bitching now.  It’s tough when you win and Pearce got scorching hot for 2 games and Eovaldi and Kelly were throwing peas and they’re all free agents. Then those guys come crashing back to earth.

Lebron
    Participant

He learned this behavior by watching Roethlisberger!  No seriously folks if Peyton was his QB he would have just forcibly teabagged the trainer then utilized the Manning Family Goons.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Those Text messages read like out-takes from 2-Live-Crew fan fiction. I’m sure Mike Reiss fainted when he read them.  The 11:45 BB press conference is going to be a hoot.

“Hey, the commissioner already has an arbitrary and capricious vehicle in place by which he can screw the Pats! Let’s do that!”

Coma
    Participant

“Hey, the commissioner already has an arbitrary and capricious vehicle in place by which he can screw the Pats! Let’s do that!”

How are they square that with their “Goodell and the league are in the tank for the Patriots. They let them get away with anything.” claims?

Lebron
    Participant

While the charges are serious, it is a civil case.  How can they use the exempt list on him?  The last 2 I remember were Peterson and Hardy and those were both criminal cases.  If Brown were to lose the suit he would ‘just’ have to pay money, right?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar