Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 9/28/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 85 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Bowd Crowder 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)
  • Author

InThisTown
    Participant

Forrest Gump does not hold up, btw. 1994 was peak Overrated Movies.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of Red Miller that ’77 Bronco team is the equivalent of the ’67 Red Sox around these parts.  Replace ‘impossible dream’ with ‘Orange Crush’

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Speaking of Red Miller that ’77 Bronco team is the equivalent of the ’67 Red Sox around these parts. Replace ‘impossible dream’ with ‘Orange Crush’

Difference is the ’67 Sox were actually close to winning.

Landry and Staubach were salivating over that matchup.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m ready for this surprise edition of Clam Bag September to show itself out the door.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of Red Miller that ’77 Bronco team is the equivalent of the ’67 Red Sox around these parts. Replace ‘impossible dream’ with ‘Orange Crush’

Difference is the ’67 Sox were actually close to winning. Landry and Staubach were salivating over that matchup.

Was going to add that caveat.  At least the Red Sox got to the 7th game.  Similarity is they have 3 Soupey winners yet the lovable losers of ’77 are the more ‘beloved’, people still have cans of Orange Crush soda from then and rail that Randy Gradishar belongs in the Hall.

chicowalker
    Participant

Goddammit, fine :ozzy:

Al-za-do, Al-za-do

Took all the roids to help the Orange crush..

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Sounds about right

Dwyane Wade and LeBron James have a glass of wine after their first workout as teammates in Cleveland.

With two straws

InThisTown
    Participant

I’m ready for this surprise edition of Clam Bag September to show itself out the door.

This is fucking lunacy.

Participant

Speaking of the ’77 Broncos – Tom Jackson is a noted shitbird.

chicowalker
    Participant

I don’t know what I’ve wanted, sports-wise, more than sometime next June watching Wade and LeBron sulk on the bench in game 5 or 6 as they realize they are not going to the finals.  That, if it comes to pass, it will likely be at the hands of the celtics is icing

Kevin
    Participant

Forrest Gump does not hold up, btw. 1994 was peak Overrated Movies.

He was just really lucky right? Lucky he didn’t get shot in Nam, lucky that he was the only shrimp boat to not sink, lucky that Lt. Dan, though an angry drunk, was pretty honest and had a Warren Buffett like ability to sniff out computers in 1980.

Participant

Steve Tisch, the other keeper of the big blue flame was one of the producer’s on Gump.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Belichick coached under Miller in ’78.

It was pretty incestuous.

Perkins hired BB for the BBF in 1979 (and also hired Parcells … who quit before training camp).  Erhardt hired Parcells as Patriots’ LB coach in 1980 (and he didn’t quit). Perkins hired Parcells again in 1981 (and he didn’t quit), then hired Erhardt in 1982, for the BBF. Then Perkins quit to go to Alabama and Parcells became HC in 1983 …

etc.

Big Fat O
    Participant

When’s the Press Conference Rick? I want 15 year old questions about how Jim o’Brien is a capable coach.

won’t link to it, but Pitino water carrier Bill reynolds put out a tortured column that was Pitino-esque in evading assigning blame. Pitino is a proud man! Broken schoolyard dreams! Adidas money! :puke:

Just a few bad apples, Bunky. No reason to tar and feather a good man who can’t possibly be expected to know everything going on at his program.

Unlike the HC of the NEP who should know everything and follow players to make sure their not doing anything illegal.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

An article from something called “Baltimore Sports & Life” on Erhardt-Perkins.  Link.

Sorry, there are no quotes from Ray-Ray or Terrell or Jumpball Joe to be found …  :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Ding away if you must but the scene when Forrest Gump is standing over Jenny’s grave taking about their kid, how he’s raising him and how much he he misses her, it  makes me cry every time. Every time.  Every fucking time. Some of the historical stuff is pretty contrived and Lt Dan ending up with an Vietnamese wife is a bit too neat and tidy but boy the whole Forrest and Jenny thing was powerful stuff.

chicowalker
    Participant

I’ve only seen the movie beginning to end once, do Forrest and the kid have the HIV too?

InThisTown
    Participant

“Talking to the grave as exposition” is almost as laugh out loud funny as Jack Pearson D’ing IAF.

chicowalker
    Participant

:pk:spoilers! :lol:

Humphrey
    Participant

Ding away, but had my first Allagash White last night, and it is quite good! 😆

I am not “Beer Guy” by any means, but in VT all our neighbors seem to do is yard construction and drink beer all friggin day. I’m developing a taste. Had my first Heady Topper this weekend-Way too hoppy for me. The Longtrail Barn Ale is outstanding. Been pounding that of late.

I have an affinity for Double Bag.   They also had a Triple Bag limited edition that was outstanding, albeit extremely potent (somewhere in the 8-10% alcohol range).

Humphrey
    Participant

The 78 Soupey was much more of a no contest than the 67 World Series…came down to Lonborg having to pitch the final game of the season and stupidly being sent out there on two days rest.

Participant

:puke:

Gyllenhaal and Simmons also touched on Gyllenhaal’s Boston accent in the film. While Gyllenhaal said he received negative reviews for it, Simmons, a Massachusetts native, said that Gyllenhaal and Maslany both “nailed” it.

“We worked really hard on that, so that’s really good to hear from you. Thank you for setting the record straight.”

:puke:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Ding away if you must but the scene when Forrest Gump is standing over Jenny’s grave taking about their kid, how he’s raising him and how much he he misses her, it makes me cry every time. Every time. Every fucking time. Some of the historical stuff is pretty contrived and Lt Dan ending up with an Vietnamese wife is a bit too neat and tidy but boy the whole Forrest and Jenny thing was powerful stuff.

I didn’t remember that scene so just watched it. Nice job by Hanks.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

:lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Stumbled upon a rerun of “Welcome Back Kotter” last night. Lots of shirtless Travolta. God the acting was awful. No wonder Kaplan plays poker for a living now.  I remembered that Hoarshack was dead but forgot that Espstein was too.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar